girls (or guys) who lift and grunt

Options
So it was brought to my attention that I grunted when I was squatting.

In my defense, it was not a yell--louder than a throat clearing but nothing like Sharapova. And it was only during like the last rep of my last two sets. And I was squatting 93% of my body weight (PR btw), and not with 5-lb dumb-bells.

Several people turned to look, and I got a little embarrassed. I was surprised it came out loud enough for people to hear. Is this something I can control, or should even try to control?

Is a little grunting ok?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I focus on my breathing. Inhaling as I drop down, and exhaling when I push and stand up. When I do that, I find I may exhale loudly but I do not grunt.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you're grunting on your warm up sets of barbell curls, then GTFO.

If you're grunting on the last couple of reps on your last set of heavy squats, people need to get over it.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This is why I have a home gym, no one to b*tch at me
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and grunting makes ya happy. Have at it. Don't worry about what everyone else is thinking. Be proud you are doing work, the ones who are complaining arent doing your reps for ya.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I make a lil noise on my last rep or so of squats and things like that.

I didnt realize it, until my guy friend told me to stop making sex noises!!! LOL!!! It wasnt even that loud....just exertion.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just stay out of Planet Fitness.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Last Friday I made an audible sound (not quite a grunt) on the very last rep of my overhead press that I totally was not expecting. I'm normally really quiet so it was a little embarassing. :blushing: My husband was there and he winked at me, so I guess it was all good.
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that he would rather hear me grunt or blowing out air loudly than see me quietly holding my breath! Same for treadmill, He would rather hear me whisper singing than not breathing.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I focus on my breathing. Inhaling as I drop down, and exhaling when I push and stand up. When I do that, I find I may exhale loudly but I do not grunt.

I do this. In my head I also say PUSH to myself, so sometimes on the end of the exhale there is a "shhhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound.

I've only had looks from people who are impressed my badass-ed-ness. That's what I choose to believe anyway.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I make sounds upon exhale occasionally. Generally on my last couple of reps for my squats and dead lifts. I, uh, do upon occasion, cuss under my breath as well. :embarassed: once in a rare while, I'll threaten the bar. No wonder I'm generally left alone.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I make sounds upon exhale occasionally. Generally on my last couple of reps for my squats and dead lifts. I, uh, do upon occasion, cuss under my breath as well. :embarassed: once in a rare while, I'll threaten the bar. No wonder I'm generally left alone.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • jenilla1
    Options
    ...I've only had looks from people who are impressed my badass-ed-ness. That's what I choose to believe anyway.

Oh, for sure. Me too. Total badass.:laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I grunt and moan and I make it look damn sexy.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    grunting doesnt bother me unless its those annoying guys who YELL "AAAHHHH" when benching or deadlifting on every rep just so everyone looks at them and their manliness.
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I either grunt or cuss, lol. Whatever helps me get that last rep.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    If you're grunting on your warm up sets of barbell curls, then GTFO.

If you're grunting on the last couple of reps on your last set of heavy squats, people need to get over it.

What HE said.

The other day, I was doing some intense lifting , crossing over my arms at the top of the lift, and as I squeezed out the last one it was so hard I was horrified to hear myself say loudly, as I pushed through it, "oh baby" LOL embarrassing but nobody seemed to notice, and if they did I hope they got a good laugh out of it too!
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I make a lil noise on my last rep or so of squats and things like that.

I didnt realize it, until my guy friend told me to stop making sex noises!!! LOL!!! It wasnt even that loud....just exertion.

I didn't think I was that loud, that was why I was surprised people turned to look.
  • jenilla1
    Options

OMG We've got the man version at my gym! Bahahaha!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I wear my ear buds so I don't have to hear it...so go for it!