girls (or guys) who lift and grunt

Options

Replies

• AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Last Friday I made an audible sound (not quite a grunt) on the very last rep of my overhead press that I totally was not expecting. I'm normally really quiet so it was a little embarassing. :blushing:

Yeah, that was totally where I was.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

OMG We've got the man version at my gym! Bahahaha!

Wtheck?!?!
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that he would rather hear me grunt or blowing out air loudly than see me quietly holding my breath! Same for treadmill, He would rather hear me whisper singing than not breathing.

Did he explain why? Not the part about not breathing, of course.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    The last reps are supposed to be hard, if you make a noise meh. It's a totally common thing.
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options

I've only had looks from people who are impressed my badass-ed-ness. That's what I choose to believe anyway.

:drinker:
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    I make sounds upon exhale occasionally. Generally on my last couple of reps for my squats and dead lifts. I, uh, do upon occasion, cuss under my breath as well. :embarassed: once in a rare while, I'll threaten the bar. No wonder I'm generally left alone.

I could learn from you.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that he would rather hear me grunt or blowing out air loudly than see me quietly holding my breath! Same for treadmill, He would rather hear me whisper singing than not breathing.

Did he explain why? Not the part about not breathing, of course.

My guess is that if you aren't working to your max to get those last reps out, you're not working hard enough.
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options

Dammit, I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I put my music up loud enough that I can't hear myself. I cuss under my breath at times, I'm sure I grunt at the end, hopefully not too loudly. Nobody has ever looked at me funny or said anything about it.

I did have an elderly lady on a stationary bike staring at me as I lifted (dumbbell presses), so I thought she was going to say something about me being a smidge loud. She did say something, but it was: "wow, you are really strong!". It made me laugh for days. Since then I don't worry about offending anyone with the occasional gasp or grunt.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    All you do is grunt a little when you barbell train? And people get their undies in a bunch over it? Jeez. Touchy.

That's why I have a home gym. Cuz I'm a lot more verbal than that when I lift. :smile:
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Well you could be like this guy who asked to stop grunting and yelling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiuijKJP38o
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options

The other day, I was doing some intense lifting , crossing over my arms at the top of the lift, and as I squeezed out the last one it was so hard I was horrified to hear myself say loudly, as I pushed through it, "oh baby" LOL embarrassing but nobody seemed to notice, and if they did I hope they got a good laugh out of it too!

That's awesome. :laugh:
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when i am pushing for those last few ive been known to grunt a bit! lol, i call it the war face!!!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, in the last few reps of a set I may let out a bit of a grunt. Just a natural sound of struggling to get the weight up one more time. Not like one of these guys who try to yell as loud as they can because they seem to think it will help them lift.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I'm a curser on the last few reps. Not so much grunting.
  • AngelsFan91106
    Options
    I'm a curser on the last few reps. Not so much grunting.

What I need to do is learn to rechannel my grunt into a cuss.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well you could be like this guy who asked to stop grunting and yelling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiuijKJP38o

Wow....roid rage run amuck...LMAO!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's really a grunt but sometimes on my way up I let out an "ehh" sound.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    While lifting you should perform the valsalva maneuver so you'll generally be silent but sometimes it takes a little grunt to get through that sticking point... sometimes it takes a gut-wrenching scream. Just don't work out at Planet Fitness and no one will care. Personally, I scream, slap myself in the face and snort ammonia caps before I hit a big lift. When you're training, you just do what you've gotta do.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I make "female tennis player" sounds sometimes. I'm glad my gym is pretty empty most times