Bacon (to eat or not to eat)

Options

Replies

• TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bacon is the reason I get up in the morning... I had a day just last week where I managed to sneak bacon in to all three meals!

Only thing to watch for is sodium content - depending on how the company cures it, it could be pretty salty.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes. Its delicious. I eat once a week. Love blts w/ avocado . Wright Applewood smoked bacon. Yum
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options
    Just had 2 slices of thick cut bacon with 3 eggs. It was really really good.
  • lrobbins57
    lrobbins57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have one slice of bacon cooked in the microwave with one serving of egg beaters, low calorie bread toasted and one fruit every morning. The bacon is 35 calories, egg beaters 35 caloires, 110 for the bread and approximately 100 for the fruit. I count calories and try to keep them under 1200 per day.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Think about it. You're trying to lose fat. But you're eating someone else's fat (a dead pig's).

So yeah, go ahead and eat it but ultimately it will help you stay fat...if that's what you're looking to do....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh i love bacon, but it is bad.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbGp5y0PqOr86Rcs5c480gts7bLCYoiCCnUlCP1posa2rP0NDLPw

(didn't check to see if anyone had already posted this, but even if they did it bares repeating)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Think about it. You're trying to lose fat. But you're eating someone else's fat (a dead pig's).

So yeah, go ahead and eat it but ultimately it will help you stay fat...if that's what you're looking to do....

Dietary fat =/= body fat
  • Gjallarhorn
    Options

fat content really has no bearing on gaining or losing fat. you need a certain amount of fat per day to keep your body working. A caloric deficit, whether or not you down an entire skillet of bacon or thirty oranges, if the calories are the same, the fat gain or loss would be the same too, assuming you were getting sufficient nutrients from it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Does a little bacon hurt your diet?I don't eat it often, maybe 1-2 times per week. I refuse to eat turkey bacon. I can eat less bacon. I cook it in the oven vs stove top so that the grease falls off more. I've heard a lot of people say that they stay away from pork because pigs are dirty lol and for religious reasons. I don't get it. Should I really give up pork? Can pork hurt my weight loss even if its in moderation?

I eat bacon as often as possible. Don't let the food police scare you. Bacon is nutritious.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does a little bacon hurt your diet?I don't eat it often, maybe 1-2 times per week. I refuse to eat turkey bacon. I can eat less bacon. I cook it in the oven vs stove top so that the grease falls off more. I've heard a lot of people say that they stay away from pork because pigs are dirty lol and for religious reasons. I don't get it. Should I really give up pork? Can pork hurt my weight loss even if its in moderation?

Other than bloating from the sodium, it's unlikely to affect weight if you are within your calorie goals. I think more people avoid it for health reasons or religion than calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I didn't know pork was red meat! I have so much to learn about eating healthy.

Pork is "the other white meat." Nope, not red meat. That's the food police talking. :laugh:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

I can't even think of a gif for this statement.................
  • bcattoes
    Options

Pork is "the other white meat." Nope, not red meat. That's the food police talking. :laugh:

Actually, calling pork white meat is the advertisers talking. According to the USDA meat that is red when raw is red meat, even if it turns white when cooked. White meat are meats that are light when raw like turkey and chicken. Some poultry, such as duck, is also red meat.
  • devon0324
    devon0324 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat it about 3 times a week myself and I've lost 40 pounds in the past 6 months.

Do you get a specific brand? low sodium or anything like that?

I eat a LOT of bacon. But I alos get the low sodium bacon & NOT the sugar cured one! Bacon is fine if u ask me!! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    5. Pigs live in filth. Pigs roll around and live their lives in filth, mud, and feces. Pigs are like garbage disposals eating up every nasty thing they can find.

This is NOT true. Pigs are the smartest animal on the farm. While an idiot cow will walk right through it's own feces, a pig makes a "bathroom" of sorts downwind so they don't smell it when they eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Actually, calling pork white meat is the advertisers talking. According to the USDA meat that is red when raw is red meat, even if it turns white when cooked. White meat are meats that are light when raw like turkey and chicken. Some poultry, such as duck, is also red meat.

So all meat is red, if you believe that nonsense. :laugh:

This is what comes of believing the USDA! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love bacon, and sausage and pretty much all pork products.

I know people who dont eat pork, or keep kosher for religious reasons, but that is something completely different.

It won't effect your diet unless you are really gorging...everything in moderation I say...enjoy the bacon!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If I were going to worry about filthy food, I'd worry about raw veggies, which are nourished with manure (cow, horse and maybe even pig), worm excrement, guano (urine and feces from birds and bats) and who knows what else ... and yes, I'm talking about "organically-grown" veggies.

QFT
  • bcattoes
    Options
    5. Pigs live in filth. Pigs roll around and live their lives in filth, mud, and feces. Pigs are like garbage disposals eating up every nasty thing they can find.

This is NOT true. Pigs are the smartest animal on the farm. While an idiot cow will walk right through it's own feces, a pig makes a "bathroom" of sorts downwind so they don't smell it when they eat.

Even if it were true, why would that necessarily make their meat bad? Their guts process food same as ours does. It's not as if you are eating what they eat or rolled in when eat pig flesh. And I'm sure they wash any filth off before frying up the yummy pork rinds. :wink: