The difference between being mean and having an opinion

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    While I agree with your general sentiment, are you not also wound up yourself, as demonstrated by your posting this? I've received my share of hate mail so I'm not judging, but we all find offense in something. Perhaps a clarification is in order? Or you can just write if off and flame her in the threads. Oh wait . . .
  • Fibergurl
    Options
    Happy Friday! Unhappy people will always reveal themselvess.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    1 - Any website / social network / whatever will always have it's fair share of trolls / keyboard warriors etc - you know morons. So it's a safe bet that we've all come up against them.

2 - A lot of the users on here are beginners. Their knowledge and experience in terms of nutrition and exercise is fairly limited and while they're asking a question some may have answered for the 50th time, to them it's the first time asking.
    A lot are over weight ( myself included - obviously ), trying to make a change and using this site primarily as a support tool, as such, maybe a little sensitive to what they perceive to be brusque responses.

3 - Lack of context. While you might think you're being brief or direct or even a tad jokish, without face to face or voice communication often times the context or inflection of what you're saying can be mistinterpereted when it's read.

4 - Cultural or even language differences.

5 - Maybe they need to develop a thicker skin

6 - Maybe you're a ****
    ( see, I was joking there, but you might not have realised that if I hadn't pointed it out )

5 and 6 for sure :smokin:
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    That made my day... its either whiners or the self deluded, superior "I am on a calorie counting website but do not count calories" *yawn*
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Was this person Ramberta, by any chance? :laugh:
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Are you asking me? if so... no just a guy posting a massive long post about why he does not calorie count :) what ever works for yoooh!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Are you asking me? if so... no just a guy posting a massive long post about why he does not calorie count :) what ever works for yoooh!

No asking the OP, but I may have an idea who you are talking about as well!
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a candy coated world where people ride unicorns and griffins and eat rainbows and poop glitter and butterflies. Oooh OP why you gotta be so meeean?? Bwah hahahahahahaa
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    While I agree with your general sentiment, are you not also wound up yourself, as demonstrated by your posting this? I've received my share of hate mail so I'm not judging, but we all find offense in something. Perhaps a clarification is in order? Or you can just write if off and flame her in the threads. Oh wait . . .

It takes a lot more than this to wind me up, I'm merely Interested in the logic and thought behind the reactions.

Edit - if I wanted to flame I'd use her name...I'm a poet :smile:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Now people are speculating about who this person might be.
    If you tell them, you've done the wrong thing.
    If you don't tell them, they'll be convinced they know who it is and be miffed at people for no reason.

The only solution is for you not to start this thread. Oh...
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Now people are speculating about who this person might be.
    If you tell them, you've done the wrong thing.
    If you don't tell them, they'll be convinced they know who it is and be miffed at people for no reason.

The only solution is for you not to start this thread. Oh...

It's not important and I won't name, irrespective, this moronic crap happens all of the time. I'm sure most people have come across the whiners before....
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to share it you know.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

I have the right to share my opinion, just as you have the right to comment on it....
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

I have the right to share my opinion, just as you have the right to comment on it....
    sooo what if u said "you are a bit*ch , in my opinion" :P
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

I wouldn't give a flying funk :)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Having a right to do something and BEING right to do something are two different things.
    Just my opinion.
  • apruitt79
    Options
    I don't know, this site is full of whiners. I honestly don't know how these people exist. It's like trying to have a serious discussion with a bunch of cranky 6 year olds who have missed their nap time. Except most 6 year olds have a higher calorie goal and are generally cooler to hang out with.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

its being mean and having an opinion . best of both worlds ;)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching the back and forth debates over which is the best way to lose weight without losing lean body mass. I love watching people deplore and defend 1200 calories. It's when the conversations denigrate into GIF posts to mock, belittle, or otherwise ridicule one or more contributing debaters/OP that my eyerolling starts - it's like people don't know how to validate their opinions with facts so they resort to GIF-posting.

I find debates, especially the heated ones, enlightening as you can get a real earful of what people think and why and are able to derive your own thoughts and opinions. I usually opt out of commenting if its a field I know next to nothing about, which even a year later is a LOT of stuff =P Most people like chiming in. Its just who we are I suppose.

That and people who are bad at losing a debate and then cry about it or have a tantrum. That is never pretty to see.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

^^ THIS!!! ^^ :heart:

I think I mentioned on another thread that I know ONE person on my friend list personally (we work together), but everyone else? While very nice, are simply faces or Icons with similar goals.

For me to take something that a person that doesn't know me personally enough to send me into a tailspin would mean that I have bigger issues than being overweight. I'm just sayin'...

Between the lack of inflection and the lack of actual personal interaction, how can it truly be personal? Oh, yeah...It can't. :wink: