The difference between being mean and having an opinion

Options

Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching the back and forth debates over which is the best way to lose weight without losing lean body mass. I love watching people deplore and defend 1200 calories. It's when the conversations denigrate into GIF posts to mock, belittle, or otherwise ridicule one or more contributing debaters/OP that my eyerolling starts - it's like people don't know how to validate their opinions with facts so they resort to GIF-posting.

I find debates, especially the heated ones, enlightening as you can get a real earful of what people think and why and are able to derive your own thoughts and opinions. I usually opt out of commenting if its a field I know next to nothing about, which even a year later is a LOT of stuff =P Most people like chiming in. Its just who we are I suppose.

That and people who are bad at losing a debate and then cry about it or have a tantrum. That is never pretty to see.

I hope this thread doesn't end up as a GIF-a-thon :grumble:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The problem is too many people claim "mean" when they don't hear what they want to hear.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you have to share it you know.

I have the right to share my opinion, just as you have the right to comment on it....
    sooo what if u said "you are a bit*ch , in my opinion" :P

I wouldn't give a flying funk :)

^^ THIS!!! ^^ :heart:

I think I mentioned on another thread that I know ONE person on my friend list personally (we work together), but everyone else? While very nice, are simply faces or Icons with similar goals.

For me to take something that a person that doesn't know me personally enough to send me into a tailspin would mean that I have bigger issues than being overweight. I'm just sayin'...

Between the lack of inflection and the lack of actual personal interaction, how can it truly be personal? Oh, yeah...It can't. :wink:

Exactly! :smile:
  • NatalieHassett
    NatalieHassett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with that post.

I replied to a thread regarding a woman who had done a fantastic job of losing loads of weight - so much so that she looked like a different woman. I congratulated her and asked her why she had waited until she had encountered health problems to decide to lose weight. It was a genuine question because I think there are so many people out there who are in the same position and I was looking for a genuine response.

Needless to say that all I got was a load of responses about how I'd made a rude/nasty comment and taken away her limelight. There was even one person who said that I clearly had an eating disorder because I was obsessed with remaining the same weight all the time. What I was actually saying was that when I step on the scales and see that I've gained a couple of pounds, I do something about it...rather than piling on 5 stone and waiting for the doctor to tell me I've got Type 2 diabetes!

It's ridiculous. People on MFP appear to be happy to post their stories about losing weight but not prepared to answer genuine questions about their journey. Had the woman have answered me...I may have been able to help a couple of my heavily overweight friends who are also ignoring to do anything about their weight.

Rant over.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    The problem is too many people claim "mean" when they don't hear what they want to hear.

Absolutely, as I mentioned earlier, wherever you are, you will always find people that are for and against your views/ideas.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching the back and forth debates over which is the best way to lose weight without losing lean body mass. I love watching people deplore and defend 1200 calories. It's when the conversations denigrate into GIF posts to mock, belittle, or otherwise ridicule one or more contributing debaters/OP that my eyerolling starts - it's like people don't know how to validate their opinions with facts so they resort to GIF-posting.

I find debates, especially the heated ones, enlightening as you can get a real earful of what people think and why and are able to derive your own thoughts and opinions. I usually opt out of commenting if its a field I know next to nothing about, which even a year later is a LOT of stuff =P Most people like chiming in. Its just who we are I suppose.

That and people who are bad at losing a debate and then cry about it or have a tantrum. That is never pretty to see.

Would that cause butt hurt?
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Your opinions should end where my butthurt begins.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE SO MEAN! Why would you call out someone on their meanness!!! Have the common decency to LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

tumblr_mbwohxmUYu1rrf7kt.gif
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Sorry ...Had to :flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning to a lovely private message in my MFP inbox, this message was entitled "limitations" and the content was "if you can't say something nice.....".

Vic_Bob_Handbags_RE_Triple_Combo-s383x269-56957.jpg

Doesn't sound that bad though if that was the sum total of the message...
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    Almost everyone I know thinks I'm mean, I think that there are some people in this world who can't handle pointed and direct statements...A lot of it has to do with upbringing and natural disposition (nurture/nature).
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

Sorry ...Had to :flowerforyou:

Haha it's ok, leave Britney alone!! :laugh:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

I have the right to share my opinion, just as you have the right to comment on it....
    So you claim have a right to have an opinion on something, yet you make an entire thread because someone else has an opinion about you being "mean"? Do you see the irony about making a thread about this when you don't "give a ****"?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Y U SO MEAN?
    tumblr_lgy8y4hGU41qbrgvv.gif

...sorry.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    I woke up this morning to a lovely private message in my MFP inbox, this message was entitled "limitations" and the content was "if you can't say something nice.....".

Vic_Bob_Handbags_RE_Triple_Combo-s383x269-56957.jpg

Doesn't sound that bad though if that was the sum total of the message...

The content itself isn't at all bad, I just couldn't get my head around the motivation behind it, really, what is the point?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    A butthurt post disguised as not butthurt and butthurting about other people being butthurt is making my head hurt.

Butthurtus ad infinitum.

And I was hoping for gifs.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I am kinda butt hurt because even if there WERE gifs, I wouldn't be able to see them. They block images at work. :grumble:
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

So you claim have a right to have an opinion on something, yet you make an entire thread because someone else has an opinion about you being "mean"? Do you see the irony about making a thread about this when you don't "give a ****"?

To my knowledge, I haven't been called "mean"..yet
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    To me, if your going to post your business on a forum you need to be prepared to get some advice or opinions that you don't agree with.
    I also find that a lot of people find it easier to be judgmental and troll when they hide behind a computer screen. They say and do things they never would in real life.

So I guess its a little of both. I am known for being a little blunt on here but honestly, that's how I am in life too. Its important to me to be truthful, genuine and protect my integrity rather than say something that is socially correct or enable people just to avoid an uncomfortable conversation. That would be selfish of me to spare my feelings so I don't have to be "the bad guy".
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    A butthurt post disguised as not butthurt and butthurting about other people being butthurt is making my head hurt.

Butthurtus ad infinitum.

And I was hoping for gifs.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed...

Butt hurt :laugh: such an odd turn of phrase