Heartbreaking Films

Options

Replies

• tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Deep Impact - There is a part towards the end that make me bawl my eyes out. Probably because I am a mother.
    Gladiator - Yep, makes me cry!
    Steel Magnolias - Best movie ever and such a tear jerker!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Most heartbreaking? Never let me go. It's sad but hopeful.
    Grave of the fireflies is heartbreaking but just sad.

Thought provoking? Requiem for a dream and enter the void.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The Bucket List, more specifically when Jack Nicholson gets to cross off "Kiss the most beautiful girl in the world" Bawled my freakin' eyes out!!
  • aa62579
    Options
    It's My Party - very moving film.

(Plot - It's My Party chronicles a two-day party hosted by Nick Stark (Eric Roberts) who, having been diagnosed with progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, will fall into a state of mental lapse lasting for months until his death. He decides instead to host a party for his family and friends, at the end of which he will commit suicide by taking Seconal.

"You won't leave me, will you?" Nick asks his estranged lover, Brandon Theis (Gregory Harrison), shortly after revealing to him the results of his last blood test for HIV. "I don't want to die alone." In spite of Brandon's protestations, the two soon find the love they had shared for many years in ruins. One year after their breakup, Nick is confronted with a ravaged immune system and a CT Scan and lab values which, along with his worsening forgetfulness, clinches the diagnosis of Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML) -- a condition he has seen claim his friends and one which he vows will not take him. Due to the aggressive nature of the disease, he has only a few days of conscious life remaining. His plan, he announces to family and "extended family," is to voluntarily end his life himself before the disease renders him unrecognizable to those he loves and he, in turn, is unable to recognize them. Uninvited to the farewell party, Brandon's presence is greeted with jeers from those who see him as having abandoned Nick in his time of greatest need.)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Showgirls

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • samlankford
    Options
    city of angles... went to theater to see it right after my father died... wrecked me for a while.. have not watched the movie since then
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    more specifically when Jack Nicholson gets to cross off "Kiss the most beautiful girl in the world" Bawled my freakin' eyes out!!

How can anyone NOT cry at that scene???!!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    P.S. I love you. ~ Hey a Non Hindi film what a shocker.
    [/quote]

YES. Bawled like a baby
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Imitation of Life

Toy Story 3
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Transformers. All of them, but especially that second one.

Ruined my inner child. Damn you Michael Bay!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Six Feet Under series finale (TV show on HBO but I full sob every time I finish the series... it's the best 15 minutes of TV ever IMO)

OH GAWD! This one too! I boohooed!
  • Bubble105
    Bubble105 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Atonement... Broke my freakin' heart.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr
    Lars and the Real Girl with Ryan Gosling
    Circle of Friends with Mini Driver and Chris O'Donnell
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Haichi - A dogs tale - That got me and my hubby

This is in my Netflix queue! I've heard many grown men cry over this one!

If building a netflix queue watch Red Dog as well, warm, happy and heart breaking film

For those mentioning Never Let Me Go, I'd also read the book very thought provoking.

Can't think of any others that havent already been mentioned on here, though quite a few can get me depending on the mood I am in. Not very macho!!!!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Life is Beautiful
    definitely a must-watch

Others worth mentioning:
    Braveheart
    Donnie Darko
    And of course any movie by Disney: Bambi, The Lion King, The Fox & the Hound (still can't get my husband to rewatch this), Up, Wall-E, Finding Nemo, etc. etc.

ETA: omgoodness yes, I Am Legend. Just cannot stay dry-eyed when Sam dies :cry:
  • aditifoodie
    aditifoodie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'...old Jack Nicholson movie, I cried plus it left me feeling really depressed and down.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This seriously isn't on here yet?

Grave of the Fireflies

Ha, that's the first movie that came to mind! So absolutely heartwrenching that I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it a second time. Some others:

- Castaway on the Moon (hit a little too close too home)
    - The Stoning of Soraya M. (based on a true story, which makes it worse)
    - Mysterious Skin
    - The Last King of Scotland
    - Requiem for a Dream
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Haichi - A dogs tale - That got me and my hubby

This is in my Netflix queue! I've heard many grown men cry over this one!

No lie, I only caught maybe 20 minutes of this movie at the end and lost it. OMG. Just thinking about it makes me tear up.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    An older movie, Swing Kids. It's about teens in Nazi Germany.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Pursuit of Happines - AMAZING movie but very very emotional...especially when you have kids!

I sobbed quite loudly through this entire movie in the theater. I had just gone out on my own as a newly struggling, single mom.

Life is Beautiful
    Awakenings
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas