What is your general logging style?

Options
Just curious as to what method people use for logging on MFP?
For example, do you log as you go (after every meal), log in the morning for your entire day or at the end of the day?
I am wondering what works best for people because I see pre-logging has it's advantages because it plans out your food for the day but logging as you go gives you more freedom and gives you a better idea of food mistakes you might be making.

For me, I log after every meal or at the end of the day if I don't have time. I prefer to log as I go because I can plan my next meal around how many calories I have left. The same with logging exercise.

Replies

• htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. I try and log it immediatly after I eat it. The only time I might prelog is when I don't know what the numbers are going to be on something I am going to eat so will look it up and log it before.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I try to log my whole day in the morning then tweak it based on what I actually eat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my entire day, either the night before or first thing in the morning. This way my day is completely mapped out...I don't have to go running to MFP to see if I can have something and I don't get stuck with having to just have a piece of broccoli for dinner because I over ate the rest of the day. It's just much easier for me to actually have a plan to go off of. I occasionally have to change something, but it's a rarity these days.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sporadic which is partly why my diary is closed... sometimes I am pretty good and log after every meal. Sometimes I do the past several meals and the day before. I also have a paper notebook I keep track of things so sometimes I just come on here to look up info.
  • Grognit
    Options
    I try to log my whole day in the morning then tweak it based on what I actually eat

I do this as well. I like to know where I can move things around and what the day is going to look like.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options

This ^^^
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I log for the day in the morning, at least all my meals up to dinner so that I know how much I can have then.
  • MrsRogers2010
    Options

That's how I do it!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I log things before I eat them, well, I try to! I like to log everything in the morning, but when I don't know what we're doing for supper, it's tricky.

I wouldn't remember everything if I waited until later to log!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I usually log as I'm cooking something. I have a few things I eat pretty much everyday so I know exactly how many calories it has so I mentally plan out what I'll have but I log it right before I eat it. Yesterday I decided I wanted ice cream right before I went to bed so I leave room for random cravings like that.
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • magsxx
    magsxx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sit on a saturday or sunday and plan my dinners for the week, i then put them into mfp and plan my breakfast and lunches around what calories i have left. I exercise most days and then i pick my snacks around what i have left :) I have only been on here for 5 weeks though but it has worked great so far. It means i know what i need when i go grocery shopping on monday morning so that everything is in the house so i am not tempted to go to the shops where sweets or buns tend to jump into my basket lol. but i suppose everyone has there own way that works for them :) if it ain't broke don't fix it
  • LemonMint6
    Options

I do this as well. I like to know where I can move things around and what the day is going to look like.

Yup me too. :)
  • kaylaawillis
    kaylaawillis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I log it all out in the morning (food and exercise), so I can better distribute my calories. Pre-logging also gives me daily goals for exercising. If I put down that I will do 30 minutes of cardio, I have more motivation to do it, then if I were to log in after exercising.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tend to pre-log all my main meals first thing in the morning. But, I still leave a couple hundred calories unaccounted for. That way, I can add in snacks as I feel hungry (or have some flexibility to have seconds at a meal).
  • rmcminn89
    Options
    I log as I go, I found that if I waited until the end of the day, i had underestimated what I was taking in.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, also ....... helps to have the app on my phone ......

If I try to remember everything at the end of the day ...... well, lots of times I just draw a blank :laugh:
  • lilttlered
    lilttlered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything in the morning but some mornings I run out of time so I pack various fresh fruit and veggie options to get me through the day and log it when I get home.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I log almost everything the night before. Its easier for me to stay accountable this way and to plan my day better.