What is your general logging style?

Options

Replies

• khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, also ....... helps to have the app on my phone ......

If I try to remember everything at the end of the day ...... well, lots of times I just draw a blank :laugh:

Lol me too! I struggle with quantities if I don't log as I go too, for example I will under estimate and think I have a 1 cup of something when I clearly had two or vice versa!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. The mobile app is GREAT for doing that. Besides, at this stage of life, if I wait too long I forget...LOL.

Good luck!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, both food and exercise. The first few days I kept running out of calories, but I'm learning to adjust. I'm using MFP to teach me how to gauge my intake as much as anything else. I'm not planning on having to use a tracking tool like this for the rest of my life, so I don't want to get too dependend on it.

But, that's what's so great about MFP: It gives people enough room to create their own system. Whatever works for you. :smile:
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I try to pre log as much as I can but that isn't always possible.

I always like to have my food logged before I eat it. It's very rare that I'll eat something before I log it. That way nothing can go in without me being 100% aware of it!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, both food and exercise. The first few days I kept running out of calories, but I'm learning to adjust. I'm using MFP to teach me how to gauge my intake as much as anything else. I'm not planning on having to use a tracking tool like this for the rest of my life, so I don't want to get too dependend on it.

But, that's what's so great about MFP: It gives people enough room to create their own system. Whatever works for you. :smile:

This is exactly how I feel.
    The first week or two I used MFP, I realised a lot of bad eating habits I had developed but also a lot of good ones that I had. Now, I have tailored my diet so it is healthier without having to change too much (I just cut out a lot of crappy foods basically and forced myself to try new things that I have grown to love).
    I don't want to be using a tracking tool forever either, so I am allowing it to guide me through weight loss and teach me portion control. I think it's great for portion control, I finally don't over eat pasta until I am uncomfortably full, I have mastered the correct potion for it!
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I try to pre-log as much as I can to set a plan and avoid the risk to go over-board. Usually I log as I go though. Never at the end of the day! Too risky :tongue:
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Just curious as to what method people use for logging on MFP?
    For example, do you log as you go (after every meal), log in the morning for your entire day or at the end of the day?
    I am wondering what works best for people because I see pre-logging has it's advantages because it plans out your food for the day but logging as you go gives you more freedom and gives you a better idea of food mistakes you might be making.

For me, I log after every meal or at the end of the day if I don't have time. I prefer to log as I go because I can plan my next meal around how many calories I have left. The same with logging exercise.

I log before I even fix the food so I know exactly what I can have and if I can have more or less of a certain thing
  • Msjay2blue
    Msjay2blue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dring the week, I log as I go during my work day, but after that I dont log until the next morning, so that is when I log my dinner and my workout from the night before. On the weekend, I do it, sporadically, but before I eat too many things that I forget.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I log after every meal but if I am going out I prelog so I have an idea of what I can have
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I try to log my whole day in the morning then tweak it based on what I actually eat

I do this too - minus snacks. Then I have an idea of what snacks I can take.

It's good planning a whole day and knowing I'll come in on budget rather than getting to supper time and only have 150 calls left!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Same here, except that I plan on logging forever! I've lost weight and gained it back too many times. This weightloss rollercoaster ride is over for me. I will be a happy logger for life! =)
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I also pre-log as much as I can and tweak throughout the day if I make changes. Before I started this and just logged on the go, I wasn't eating enough and had tons of calories left at the end of the day because all day I was afraid I'd go over my calories. This way, I can balance out my eating more and save enough to have some kind of treat in the evening.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I pre log my breakfast and lunch as I have it made and planned out in the morning. Dinner and snacks get logged while I eat them or before I eat them to make sure it won't put me over. I don't pre log exercise unless its a class I go to, such as yoga.
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In general I log as I go after each meal, however there are times when I log prior to if I know what I am having. Happy logging!! ;o)
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Through the week, I usually pre-log my day. Other days, I log as I go. I don't want to find myself at the end of the day 500 calories in the red.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food. My breakfast is usually static, so I don't pre-log that. Lunch and supper get pre-logged when I plan them (sometimes the night before... sometimes as I'm getting ready to prepair them). There's no way I could eat - then log, and still be where I wanted to be re: calories and my macros.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    I log dinner first and work backwards. Then I can figure out the rest as I go. Dinner is usually a family meal and made by others about half the time so I don't have complete control.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I try to log my whole day in the morning then tweak it based on what I actually eat
    This is what I do as well. I also leave a couple hundred calories available at the end of the day for a snack, if I choose to eat one, which I usually do. I don't like feeling like I'm starving at the end of the day and not having any room to eat anything.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    On a week day morning, I log my breakfast and lunch when I get to work. I log my dinner after I eat and then log my exercise after it's complete and any snacks as I have them.

On the weekend, I try and log after every meal.
  • never124get
    Options
    In the morning before work I usually log my breakfast and lunch as I pack it, and my snacks as well. I usually tend to be the one who cooks dinner or at least helps in some way so I just log as I go...sometimes I have a bit of a calorie surprise....like olive oil last night...that was crazy but I learn from it and it just gives me a better understanding of what has how many calories and what not.