Long hair+ Working out

Options

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I'm sold on the dry shampoo! Where do you buy it?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had thick long hair and used to just tie it back for workouts – my favorite was the pippi longstocking side braids (nice and compact, no fly-aways). I cut my hair short not because of workouts but just because I wanted to go short and I actually miss the long hair when I hit the gym or run. Long hair can be tied back and out of the way. Short hair – nope. Nothing I can do about it, it gets sweaty and sticks to my neck and forehead. That said – wear your hair how you love it and just make the best for workouts.
  • carmenni
    Options
    I have really long hair, down to my waist. I put it in a bun when working out and it doesn't bother me. Depending on the intensity of the workout, i too have to wash it afterwards. I am not sure how cutting it shorter would solve this since your scalp would still be sweaty.

Cutting it would only help in the fact that drying it and straightening it would take me a lot less time. It takes me about 45 -50 minutes to straighten my hair now :explode:

Wow! I have long, extremely thick hair and it has NEVER taken me that long to straighten mine.... if it did, I would never straighten it again. Maybe get a better straightener.

Lol maybe you are right. I have a CHI? I thought those were suppose to be good! Maybe my hair just belongs to a horse :/
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have really long hair, down to my waist. I put it in a bun when working out and it doesn't bother me. Depending on the intensity of the workout, i too have to wash it afterwards. I am not sure how cutting it shorter would solve this since your scalp would still be sweaty.

Cutting it would only help in the fact that drying it and straightening it would take me a lot less time. It takes me about 45 -50 minutes to straighten my hair now :explode:

Go curly! I used to straighten my hair all the time... now it's not top priority. Talk to your stylist and figure out which products would work best for you.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'm sold on the dry shampoo! Where do you buy it?

Anywhere.
    Ulta, Sally, Walgreens, Sephora, CVS, Walmart

There's foam, spray (both aerosol and pump) and dry kind.

You can even look up recipes to make your own.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    No.... I LOVE my long hair! I just have my routine... and that's all part of it... washing the sweaty out of my hair...

I CO-WASH a lot... (conditioner wash) it is better for your hair... I use Deva Curl products (I'm a curly girl) and my shampoo doesn't have harmful detergents in it... so my hair doesn't get stripped so much when I shampoo...

I recently had 4 inches cut off my hair and it still comes down to the middle of my back... I love long hair!
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've had the same problem. I sweat a lot as well and I have to wash my hair everyday which isn't good because it will dry out your hair. So I went to a drugstore and bought a few products and conditioners to make sure my hair stays moisturized. It's been helping! :) Good luck!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Invest in Sprunch spray. Embrace your curls!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Even before becoming a gym rat, I had to wash my long, thick hair daily because it tends to be oily. I've done the short hair thing and I didn't like the way it looked on me. I've found the swimming regularly dries my hair out horribly. But, I still keep it long, wash it daily, and use a really good deep conditioner to keep it from getting weird.
  • carmenni
    Options
    I had the same problem so got it all cut off - it was half way down my back and now it's pretty short. Makes life so much easier at the gym every day and I've stopped using "But i don't want to/have time to wash my hair!" as an excuse not to work out. I got a lot of mileage out of that excuse in the past.

It's pretty scary and my hairdresser practically had to be forced to do it but I have no regrets. tough decision.

I still have to wash my hair every time I go to the gym but I never have to blow dry or style it as it is so short it looks ok messy (I think!) and dries really quickly.

very tough! i battle this everyday, sadly.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I put my hair in a pony or a braid. A bun if I won't be jumping around a lot. I cut my waist-length hair for a donation in the fall. I find that I still have the same issues with keeping it clean - the length doesn't really matter.

If you love having it long - keep it long, and just find ways to keep it out of your eyes when you workout. The cleaning rituals don't really change much.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just throw my hair up in a ponytail when I am working out..I don't like my hair in my face when I am working out..I have thought about cutting it but it has taken me a while to grow it out and I have never had my hair this long before and since I was little it has always been cut short..I prefer to really not cut it..also my youngest when I asked her if mom should cut her hair she said no and she would be upset with me if I did cause she loves to play with my hair...=) I just wash it as I need to.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Wow! I have long, extremely thick hair and it has NEVER taken me that long to straighten mine.... if it did, I would never straighten it again. Maybe get a better straightener.

Different texture maybe? Mine takes at least 45 mins. 15-30 mins to blow dry depending on how long it's been since I got out of the shower + 30 mins to straighten. I have a CHI, which is the one that works fastest for my hair. I have to take very small sections and go over them at least twice or else the curl pops back mid-day.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Try getting it thinned with thinning shears.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My hair used to be a lot longer but I just cut it to just below my shoulders because it was just getting ratty looking. When it was long I would put it in a pony tail, then braid the pony. That seemed to make it the least gross, and it didn't get tangled if I was jumping around a lot. I did and still do have to wash it every day though, except after rest days.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! growing it back in takes forever, everyone with long hair and short has this problem. I am doing a fitness challenge where I am working out five days a week, I try to put it up as high as possible but end up having to wash it daily. Switch to a shampoo and conditioner that has less bad stuff in it and is more natural, and get a deep conditioning mask once a week if it is too dry.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Washing it every day is...

I wash mine every day and I don't need to. I just like being clean. Sometimes I wash it twice a day because... I REALLY like being clean.

And my hairdresser gives me **** but I don't care.
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    I cut mine about 3 months ago and donated it, definitely miss my long hair, but it was for a good cause. However, I still have the issue of thick hair and the sweat doesn't change, I still have to wash it after the gym and now I have to learn how to fix shorter hair.

The battle will continue unless you shave your head :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    try dry shampoo. many brands all work equally well. i like bumble and bumble for the color matching and root coverage. i like psssssssssssssst. for the price.

i carry a small can in my purse for emergencies because as a stay at home mom and first name that starts with an "a" I am the first person people call when they need a hand and since I havent' shared my weight loss goals with my real life friends they don't know they are pulling me from something. they usually only call on me during urgent or emergency situations so that's when the dry shampoo comes in handy. makes my hair look good and fast without the washing & blow drying. body shower, dry shampoo, and vamonos.

Oh sorry i recommend buying it the first time at a salon so a stylist can show you how to get the best use out of it. After that department stores like nordstrom carry it, and so do drug stores.
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recently donated two 14 inch braids to Locks of Love. All you have to do is braid your hair (minimum 10 inches), put it in an envelope, and mail it in. Some little kid out there will appreciate your donation, and you will have a wonderful story behind your cute new haircut!

I work at a Children's Hospital in the Oncology area and even though Locks of Love is a great organization, they do NOT give hair pieces to kids with cancer, they don't meet the criteria because their hair loss is temporary while undergoing treatment which can still be several years. They only provide wigs to kids with chronic alopecia, which does not include kids undergoing chemo. If you specifically want your hair to go to an organization that will get it to kids who are in cancer treatment, please consider Wigs for Kids, you can learn more at www.wigsforkids.org. Thanks, Girls! I can promise you it will bring a smile to these kids faces, I've seen it! :smile:

BTW - I have really long hair too & it takes a beating with all the workouts & washings.