Long hair+ Working out

Options

Replies

• Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My hair looks like **** when I get it thinned. Also- when I saw I was every other day- I get it wet every other day- if I wash + condition, the next time I just use conditioner, no shampoo. So I'm only washing every 4 days.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have hair down to my butt, and I can't wash it every day because the ends dry out. The first time I work out after washing it, I don't do anything. The sweat dries and my hair is just fine. The second time, I rinse only. If only the scalp area got sweaty, I hold the length out of the way with one hand and only rinse the scalp. If all my length got sweaty, I rinse all of it. The third time, I either wash it again with diluted shampoo (I mix my dollop of shampoo with about 1/4-1/2 cup warm water in a squirt bottle), or I rinse again and use some conditioner on the length. I generally wash it every 3rd to 4th day.

Another thing you can do is put conditioner on your length, then wash only the scalp area (I recommend diluted shampoo). Suds running down the length during the rinse is cleansing enough. Then condition again if needed or use leave-in conditioner.
  • grelca
    grelca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    oooh I am really going to have to look into this dry shampoo stuff. I sweat really weird like.. a ton on my back and in my hair (which just like.. stays in my hair) but the rest of me just gets kinda moist (for lack of a better word). It makes having a sweat towel there not very useful! :P

I could never cut my hair I love it too much.. It's about at the small of my back. Even when I get the split ends trimmed off it feels so short to me and it's like a quarter or half of an inch gone.

On the other hand, think of how much "weight" we'd lose if we cut if all off hahaha
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Even if you have short hair it will still get sweaty! Just wash it, put it up. I don't style mine every day, sometimes just put it up in a ponytail or bun.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my hair after a workout. I just rinse, or at most use conditioner. This way, I can go much longer between trims because I don't develop the split ends.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    There are options for making the sweaty look less well sweaty after it dries. Dry shampoo is a good option, also if you could try lightly dusting your hands with baby powder and giving a quick run through of your hair.

Shockingly I didn't have much of the sweaty hair look after I worked out, it just looked like it was drying from being washed which was nice but I still wash my hair pretty well every single day. My hair gets greasy on its own within 24 hours of washing (wish it didn't... but I am a very oily skinned girl)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had long hair and just cut it recently (profile pic was the day of the haircut). I've grown and chopped it off numerous times in my life so it was no big deal to me (my hair also grows really fast).

I always workout in the morning and my hair used to take SO FREAKING LONG to dry. It was too cold out to leave wet and I wanted the sleep more than I wanted long hair - as it is, I wake up at 4:05 am most mornings to fit everything in - no way was I going to wake up even earlier so I'd have time to blow dry my hair. NO WAY.

I'm really happy with it shorter, don't regret it at all!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I dye and fry the hell out of my hair, so I try to avoid washing it unless my scalp gets itchy and my hair gets that stringy, greasy look to it. I used to have a really short A-line cut (short in the back, long in the front) and I seriously could go for two weeks without washing it, and I styled it in a shaggy/messy/bedhead 'do that required NO PRODUCTS because my hair's own oils were enough to make it look nice. In retrospect, it sounds really gross but my hair looked and felt awesome despite frequent bleaching and dying. Also, the less you wash your colored hair, the less it fades.

Now my hair is down to my shoulders/collarbones, so while it's not *super long* I still consider it "long" for me because I've spent the majority of my life with pixie cuts and A-line bobs. I wash my hair every three days or so, or whenever it gets itchy, and I workout about 5-6 days a week ... so yes, there are times when I do not wash my hair after a workout. After I peel off my sweaty exercise clothes, I brush out my hair with a boar bristle brush to pull some of the scalp oils down to the ends of my hair, then I put everything back in a ponytail, tuck it into a shower cap, and get in the shower. When I get out of the shower I brush everything out again, shake my hair around, and it usually looks decent.

Like another lady posted, short hair is often cute but you can't put it in a pony tail and your only option is to wear clips or a headband to keep your hair out of your face. Ever mess with headbands or clippies while trying to run? Not a good time. What I do now is I put my hair in a bun or pony tail, and I clip the bangs out of my face if they're really bothering me.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I recently donated two 14 inch braids to Locks of Love. All you have to do is braid your hair (minimum 10 inches), put it in an envelope, and mail it in. Some little kid out there will appreciate your donation, and you will have a wonderful story behind your cute new haircut!

I work at a Children's Hospital in the Oncology area and even though Locks of Love is a great organization, they do NOT give hair pieces to kids with cancer, they don't meet the criteria because their hair loss is temporary while undergoing treatment which can still be several years. They only provide wigs to kids with chronic alopecia, which does not include kids undergoing chemo. If you specifically want your hair to go to an organization that will get it to kids who are in cancer treatment, please consider Wigs for Kids, you can learn more at www.wigsforkids.org. Thanks, Girls! I can promise you it will bring a smile to these kids faces, I've seen it! :smile:

BTW - I have really long hair too & it takes a beating with all the workouts & washings.

I know Locks of Love is not the greatest. I've read and heard plenty about their policies, and was not too thrilled. I just hadn't really heard about any other companies that did the same thing. I've bookmarked the Wigs for Kids page so I have a better option when my hair grows back out again. Thanks!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I too have long curly hair ...I have a lot of it and it's thick. :( It would take me about 45 mins to straighten. Until.... I found the best tool to quickly straighten my hair...it's a hair straightener from the brand Baby Bliss. I found mine at Ulta. Cost me $100, but it's been the best investment.

With that new tool it takes me about 20 mins total. Blow dry your hair...don't straighten. Just blow dry it till your hair is completely dry...then use use the tool. I swear I wanted to cry from joy the first time I used it! Couldn't believe how well and quickly I was able to straighten my hair.

I also recommend using dry shampoo on days when it is straight. I just use the blow dryer to dry my roots (were I'm sweaty), apply the dry shampoo, brush it out and use the flat iron to smooth out the waves! TA DA!!!!

I can't wash my hair everyday because it's very very dry...so I had to find a way to manage it with my workouts. :)
  • krystaljarv
    Options
    I'm sold on the dry shampoo! Where do you buy it?

You can get it most stores like tesco, boots, superdrug. It comes in a can that you shake up, kind of like a deodorant. It's so handy, and you can buy mini ones in the travel section, so if you go to the gym you don't have to cart it around with you.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have really long hair, down to my waist. I put it in a bun when working out and it doesn't bother me. Depending on the intensity of the workout, i too have to wash it afterwards. I am not sure how cutting it shorter would solve this since your scalp would still be sweaty.

Cutting it would only help in the fact that drying it and straightening it would take me a lot less time. It takes me about 45 -50 minutes to straighten my hair now :explode:

Go curly! I used to straighten my hair all the time... now it's not top priority. Talk to your stylist and figure out which products would work best for you.

^^ This^^ I love my hair straight, but it also takes me about an hour to style it. So, I got a really good cream for my hair and go curly half of the time. Plus I see that you are in South FL (just like me) and the humidity is a killer for straight hair.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Have you considered

natalie-portman-bald.jpg
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    men adore thick, long hair, i have to put mine in a ponytail.

^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^
  • muffin_shufflin
    muffin_shufflin Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had hair down to the middle of my back & I chopped it off to my jawline for the hell of it. I've loved it! It's cute & easy to deal with. I am growing it back out though because I miss being able to style it. But i'd say if you wanna cut it, go for it!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    well..its either wash/ cut your hair..or be fat..Your choice
  • carmenni
    Options
    well..its either wash/ cut your hair..or be fat..Your choice

LOL @ logic
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I recently donated two 14 inch braids to Locks of Love. All you have to do is braid your hair (minimum 10 inches), put it in an envelope, and mail it in. Some little kid out there will appreciate your donation, and you will have a wonderful story behind your cute new haircut!

^^I did the same thing in July of last year. They got 18 inches of hair. I love my short do; it only takes me 2 seconds in the morning to do.
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You won't believe it but I just wash my hair with johnsons baby shampoo everyday after a work out! My hair falls down to my hips! And I can't keep using harsh chemicals on it every day! Johnsons baby shampoo is mild and it cleans the scalp thoroughly! :)
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use a dry shampoo called Kenra that smells really good and helps with the sweaty hair issue if you don't have time to wash it immediately.