Fasting diet

Options

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My understanding about the 5:2 plan is that you're supposed to eat at or near TDEE/maintenance on your non-fasting days. The whole point of the 2 days of lean is that it's balanced out by 5 days of plenty, and you don't give your body the signal that the great famine has arrived and it had better store everything as fat. Fasting for two days and also restricting for the other 5 days is just going to send your metabolism into slow-motion over the long term.

Yup!
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I broke plateau by fasting
    I recognized emotional issues and cravings and can better curb them
    Hunger is "different" after alternating/fasting day or meals
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You're right in that the studies are still in their infancy. I haven't seen anything about adding in resistance training (but then, the assumption is that the 5 non-fasting days would be your usual routine, so resistance training might be already in there).

Aside from just caloric restriction, the point about fasting is that it allows your body to repair existing cells rather than just constantly make new ones. This is supposed to bring about many health benefits, and in fact weight loss is just a side effect. Dr Michael Mosley, who first proposed the 5:2 approach in a BBC documentary last year, is continuing with a 6:1 approach to maintain his weight but still get the other health benefits.

Nothing on the BBC doco about resistance training because it was primarily about the supposed health benefits not weight loss. That is also why they talk about lowering protein amounts for life longevity. (which I don't agree with)

Calorie deficit + no resistance training + low protein = a possibly longer life (of skinny-fatness)
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did it ten yrs ago and lost 30 lbs. I loved it. bc it worked for weight loss. I would lose 3 lbs a week from it, but gained 1 lb back by week's end so it was a 2 lb deficit. I didn't notice any health benefits to it. If they happened, I wasn't aware of them.

I am currently doing a different cleanse now. The Master Cleanse. It's controversial, but I have done extensive research and have tried it twice, I did NOT gain all the weight back and thus 7 mos later am trying it a third time. I begin in the morning and will end April 4th. I did it to cleanse from the allergies I some how adopted. I had migraines due to that too. The cleanse made me feel like a new person. I LOVED the way I felt. No allergies either. It call came back though.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna stick to eating awesome clean food and exercising regularly. That's your health benefits right there. Not starving yourself.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I did it ten yrs ago and lost 30 lbs. I loved it. bc it worked for weight loss. I would lose 3 lbs a week from it, but gained 1 lb back by week's end so it was a 2 lb deficit. I didn't notice any health benefits to it. If they happened, I wasn't aware of them.

I am currently doing a different cleanse now. The Master Cleanse. It's controversial, but I have done extensive research and have tried it twice, I did NOT gain all the weight back and thus 7 mos later am trying it a third time. I begin in the morning and will end April 4th. I did it to cleanse from the allergies I some how adopted. I had migraines due to that too. The cleanse made me feel like a new person. I LOVED the way I felt. No allergies either. It call came back though.

So you're gonna go an entire month not eating solid food, or if you are, in pitifully small amounts? With your only nutrient source coming from a glass of syrup and cayenne pepper?

That's a bad idea. Really, really bad idea. At least with 5:2 fasting you have ample chances to get your food in and eat it well.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

wrong thread.

fasting =/= cleansing
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I heard and read about this diet in the last couple of days and can certainly see how it can work. But I am way too committed to my daily exercise that I could never manage not eating the calories needed to get through my aerobic exercise.

Best of luck to the rest of you. :smile:
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

So you're gonna go an entire month not eating solid food, or if you are, in pitifully small amounts? With your only nutrient source coming from a glass of syrup and cayenne pepper?

That's a bad idea. Really, really bad idea. At least with 5:2 fasting you have ample chances to get your food in and eat it well.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

wrong thread.

fasting =/= cleansing
    I am FASTING. The Master Cleanse is a fast because I am not eating any food.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

The Master Cleanse can only be critiqued by medical professionals or by experienced cleansers who have also read the book. Thank you though for your input. Trust me, I'll come out healthier. I will be consuming 1200 calories a day, loaded with nutrients, but not a variety of nutrients. Lemon juice on an empty stomach has been proven to balance ph and kill cancer cells for one.

Lemon juice has been proven to kill cancer cells??

Link ?
  • rosemarygough
    Options
    I have been on 5:2 for 2 weeks and lost 2kgs! I am very happy with my results and think this is something that is certainly sustainable.
    38668774.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

The Master Cleanse can only be critiqued by medical professionals or by experienced cleansers who have also read the book. Thank you though for your input. Trust me, I'll come out healthier. I will be consuming 1200 calories a day, loaded with nutrients, but not a variety of nutrients. Lemon juice on an empty stomach has been proven to balance ph and kill cancer cells for one.

Link ?
    There are pages and pages of links for this. You want me to copy and paste them all here? How many would you like? Is ten enough or more? Or you can Google the following, "lemon juice kills cancer cells". Or rather "lemon juice kills cancer". Either way, let me know and I'll go to Google and then type that in and then do all of the copying and pasting for you.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

wrong thread.

fasting =/= cleansing

I am so disappointed you removed the bit that said " I would NEVER post about anything I didn't know about"

Lemon juice killing cancer is a well known hoax - you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

wrong thread.

fasting =/= cleansing

I am so disappointed you removed the bit that said " I would NEVER post about anything I didn't know about"

Lemon juice killing cancer is a well known hoax - you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
    The fact that someone said it is a hoax is something that maybe you shouldn't believe that you read on the Internet. Look maybe you can put me on ignore and I'll do the same for you.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Link ?
    There are pages and pages of links for this. You want me to copy and paste them all here? How many would you like? Is ten enough or more? Or you can Google the following, "lemon juice kills cancer cells". Or rather "lemon juice kills cancer". Either way, let me know and I'll go to Google and then type that in and then do all of the copying and pasting for you.

Fantastic editing again - that link you just posted was disproving your point - not proving it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/lemon-cancer-cells.shtml
  • ladyraven68
    Options

wrong thread.

fasting =/= cleansing

The fact that someone said it is a hoax is something that maybe you shouldn't believe that you read on the Internet. Look maybe you can put me on ignore and I'll do the same for you.

Why would I put you on ignore?

I find your posts hilarious!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

Link ?

Fantastic editing again - that link you just posted was disproving your point - not proving it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/lemon-cancer-cells.shtml
    I didn't post that link. I am not here to argue with you about lemon juice. YOu can Google, you can read, you can read ONLY the information which a doctor posts. If a doctor doesn't write the article or say it I don't listen to it. But guess where I found out about it? My dad's doctor when he had cancer. Please find someone else to fight with. I am done. You are on ignore.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    S_U_M_M_E_R has deactivated their account.

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    S_U_M_M_E_R has deactivated their account.

Damn, I wanted to friend her just to read the rest of her crazy.