how do i deal with a addiction?

Options

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    As someone whose worked in the field of Applied Behavioral Analysis (A scientifically justified profession) there is absolutely nothing and I mean not a god damn thing with using candy or food as a reward for good behavior. In fact it is often the centerfold of behavior change plan because guess what IT WORKS. And a piece of chocolate for good behavior isn't going to make your kid obese. That's just ridiculous.
    As for craving sweets I find fruit helps, coffee or tea with truvia or just having a small piece of chocolate.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    DO NOT USE TREATS AS REWARDS!!!!!!!!!!! You are completely setting them up for problems later!!!!! Time for the whole family to undergo a change. Other rewards might include priviledges, or fun outings, or something other than food.

This. Food is fuel not rewards!!!!
    we where told by the dr to offer treats a a reward for my son cause he has problem and he need incentive to do things that are asked of him. i dont want to deprive my kids of the occasional childhood treat. my kids are taught one or two pieces is a rewards for a good deed. they dont have they problem i have. i refuse to punish them like they do.my kids are actually on the small side for their ages. i know you mean well but like i said i have no support from my hubby cause he doesnt have weight issues or a craving problem like i do. i need to address this problem with the problem still being in the house.
    How about a piggy bank and a nickel when he deserves a treat? Serves the purpose and keeps the food from being seen as a reward. Or stickers? Anything that's bright colorful and meaningful to a child might work for him? But not food, those of us on this site know how much that is setting a child up for a dangerous relationship with food in the future.

Not giving a child candy is NOT a punishment! I think we get that in our mind and then teach that to our children and that causes them issues now and later. Because they are small in size doesn't mean eating sugar for treats is fine for them.

Treats are fine on occasion but as a reward there are so many other choices that would be far healthier in so many ways!:flowerforyou:
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Let yourself enjoy 1 serving of dark chocolate in the middle or near the end of the day. Have it with a cup of tea and make a ritual about it. Especially at first its hard to go cold turkey on the foods we love. We've been eating them for months/ years everyday as much as we like.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    140 lbs soaking wet or not, eating a lot of candy can cause health problems. You can be skinny, fit and have issues with high lipids or sugar. Being overweight or obese increases your risk of health problems. Being thin and in shape doesn't exclude you from all risk.

Agree with not using food as a reward for your kids.

I let myself have a small amount of chocolate every day. If I don't, I go crazy when I do let myself have some. I very much believe in not totally cutting out the foods we love most and my doc agrees. I used to sit down at the computer and (occasionally) eat a half a bag of candy. I'm rarely tempted to do that now. Recording and thinking about the calories ahead of time helps. I've been slipping up a bit lately, but still not close to what I used to eat.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Its an obsession. 1 is too many and 1000 is never enough. When I eat sweets more often then not I don't stop eating them until they are gone.

Solution: When I want a snack, I grab raw vegetables or shelled nuts. There is no "reward", the reward is I don't feel like **** about myself b/c I killed another package of oreos
  • xtina1129
    xtina1129 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    DO NOT USE TREATS AS REWARDS!!!!!!!!!!! You are completely setting them up for problems later!!!!! Time for the whole family to undergo a change. Other rewards might include priviledges, or fun outings, or something other than food.

Totally agree with this, why allow the same type of addiction to be inflicted on your children. It only leads to turning to food throughout the rest of life.

Try making chocolate delight for yourself. 1 serving per day.

1 tbs virgin coconut oil. 2/3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder. 1 pack of nustevia , splenda or sweetener of choice. tiny bit of vanilla extract. Microwave for 20ish seconds, stir well. put in ice cube tray/candy tray. You can sprinkle with some nuts or unsweet coconut if you wish. Set in freezer till solid, then you may store in refrigerator. Enjoy!

Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits, and assists in weight loss. If its too 'dark choc tasting' for you, add a TINY bit of half n half into the mix next time.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I bought a liquid water enhancer that makes the water taste like a particular flavor. Add it to the water and it's sweet, except it's just flavored water, being a sweet addict myself I have curved my cravings for chocolate and frosting and such substatially.
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    I can relate to you as I am a recovering food addict and belong to OA...as you asked up there is it a religious program....NO! It is a spiritual program just something as your higher power which can be the group, not a religion! Please feel free to MSG me for more info...most people aren't educated on food addiction its not as well known as alcoholism or drug addiction...so I understand your concern thunking something is not quite right and why can't I stay away from sugary food like everyone else...best of luck...
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i'm convinced i'm addicted to food mainly sweets. no matter what i do i crave them like mad and i get grumpy if i don't get them. i gave up cake frosting but i catch myself reaching for a piece of chocolate in the middle of the night and in between meals...how do i beat this? also keeping sweets out of the house is impossible i have a hubby who's 140 lbs soak and wet who can eat anything and not gain a pound and we use treats for rewards when the kids do something good.
    That's a tough one because sugar is in everything. (Even added to foods that you wouldn't expect). I would start with changing the taste in your mouth. Gargle with cinnamon or mint mouthwash after every meal. Sweets just don't taste the same. Read about sugar addictions and why it's bad for you. (I just got done reading Fat Chance). It really makes you rethink what you put in your body. I have found going cold turkey is the only way. Today I bought some chocolates that were on sale from Valentines. I can't just eat one, so I am realizing that I won't be able to eat any of it. It's hard when those foods are all around. Let every around you know that although you don't care if they eat a treat but you are trying to make a change. Ask them to please not eat sweets in front of you. Think of what triggers you have and try to avoid them. Mostly though for me the gargling with mouthwash after meals really helps. Chocolate just doesn't taste the same with mouthwash.
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    It's suggested to not eat foods with sugar in the first 5 ingredients
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

YUP, this. Don't enforce bad habits like this for your children. What will happen when they grow up and move out and are STILL "rewarding" themselves with sugary high-cal treats that their adult metabolisms can't keep up with? I sure wouldn't want that on my conscience.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    For rewards, I don't know how old the kids, but how about stickers and such? There are some party supply stores that you can get cheap little prize toys as well that serve that kind of function. We used that kind of thing when it came to potty training for my son for a while. Little bitty dinosaurs and such. For food snack we have a "snack bucket" for the kids that have snacks like granola bars and the like.

As for your hubby, if he insists of having his own sweets, could he not supply his own and keep them in his own place out of sight and out of mind from you? He wants a package of Chips Ahoy? Fine. Keep it in a drawer in his desk or what-have-you. It's his and you'd appreciate it if he would keep the sweet treats away from you as it is the same thing as leaving a bottle of whiskey out in front of a newly recovering alcoholic. Explain it to him like that if you have to. You're trying to make a life change and it's an unnecessary and avoidable hurdle you just don't need right now.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I found a program called Food Addicts in Recovery and it has saved my life. Nothing else worked, I tried everything. It's a support group, not only do you lose weight but your life will become so much easier and peaceful.

I DID THIS TOO IT CHANGED MY LIFE
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If it's a genuine addiction, look into the 12 steps. Yes, the ones alcoholics use. They apply to any addiction.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking diet soda too, if you have not already. Aspartame actually makes you crave sweets...
  • mizchubby69
    Options
    Cold turkey, just like giving up smoking etc and track your sugar intake on the report on here. I try not to go over 20gms of sugar a day and that is sugar that is in veges and milk, not from processed crap. Your cravings will soon stop. Good luck and my hubby and kids have sweet treats now not everyday and I its not that I am not tempted to eat it , I am just being strong as I wouldn't want to undo the good work I've done . I would also hate to track those foods on my Diary. I find tracking your food a huge help.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I know it seems impossible right now, it's going to take work to get yourself retrained to other items in place of the sweets. I started by keeping apples and pears available, with some peanut butter or caramel available. I've worked down to only the straight fruits. You will have to train yourself to wanting something other than the sweets.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Easy, when he brings it home, wait til he's gone and throw it out.

Lol. He needs to respect you and your choices. He can hide it and try not to eat it around you. Might not be fair For him p, but sometimes it's a group effort.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Easy, when he brings it home, wait til he's gone and throw it out.

Lol. He needs to respect you and your choices. He can hide it and try not to eat it around you. Might not be fair For him p, but sometimes it's a group effort.

If your husband isn't supporting your efforts and you really do need to lose weight, there's something wrong. I agree that he needs to respect your effort to lose weight. Asking him to hide his treats and not eat them in front of you is a good idea. If he's not willing to do that, you probably want to have a talk with him about why he isn't willing to help you in this way.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Overeaters anonymous

http://www.oa.org/