Ladies - weight lifting will make something bulky

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Because they know that it's not a risk. Sitting on one's behind making excuses and rationalizations is a far greater risk to health. You have quite an ignorance about strength training. It's best you go read up on it. Or at a minimum stop making a fool of yourself here.

There is NO WAY she is not risking injury by lifting that heavy.

I got thrown off my mountain bike a few weeks ago whilst attempting a challenging table top.

Should I stop cycling?
  • myofibril
    Options
    vj09apM.jpg
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

She trained herself past the limitations. She OVERCAME. She didn't just throw 400lbs on her scoliosis back one day and decide to lift it, she worked up to it safely.

^^This^^

There's absolutely nothing wrong with training and overcoming. But there's really no need to take things as far as she did and force her body to support 400 pounds over and over again.
    [/quote]

Did you almost miss the fact that she's an athlete that participates in competitions? Seriously..stop...thread-jacking....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Well, I must be super inspiring to you then! I'm a normal person, I go to the gym week after week! I do a variety of exercises and I'm getting in shape. I've lost 48lbs so far!! Isn't that inspiring?

Oh yeah, I lift heavy too. Nevermind! :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

There's absolutely nothing wrong with training and overcoming. But there's really no need to take things as far as she did and force her body to support 400 pounds over and over again.

So you are saying she should have given up hundreds of pounds ago because she was successfully increasing without injury? She found something she is amazing at and ran with it.

I am having freaking brain surgery on Monday and one of the first questions I asked my surgeon was when could I lift heavy again. He said 4 weeks. I honestly will probably take it slower than that, but I am not giving up something I love forever unless I am told absolutely not by my doctor.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    She probably shouldn't read this article then:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Sports/Galleries/5-Inspiring-Athletes-Who-Overcame-Disabilities.aspx

Darn those people and their overcoming.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE PLEASE STOP.

This is a quality, inspirational, motivational thread. Do NOT let the troll that is healthgal hijack this into something else. She has never made a helpful contribution to any thread that I can remember.

Just set her to ignore and let this thread return to its previous awesomeness. Thank you HayBales for the OP
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    This makes me absolutely sick.....

with envy...and I'm a dood. Holy crap.
    Wolf1s.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Olympians Jake Gibb and Eric Shanteau - testicular cancer

Olympian Dana Vollmer - she was the 1st woman to swim the 100-meter butterfly in under 56 seconds and when she was 15 was diagnosed with long QT syndrome (an electrical disorder of the heart that could lead to sudden cardiac arrest).

Olympian Carrie Johnson - Crohn's disease

Tennis star Venus Williams - Sjorgen's syndrome (autoimmune disorder that causes fatigue and aching muscles and joints)

Ladies Professional Golfer Kristy McPherson - since the age of 11 - diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis

Gold Medal figure skater Dorothy Hamill and Gold Medal cyclist, Kristin Armstrong - osteoarthritis
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    She is amazing. I have a great deal of respect for anyone that pushes hard to improve.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    That is so inspiring! She looks soooooo good too and damn look at that bar bending from all her weight!
  • myofibril
    Options
    weik58f.jpg

Damn, look what she can do with her mixed grip....
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    uRGUVLfbaakcHLKvKhAGBjHtaCeVAaGwJzKo.jpg

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/news-and-features/athletes-and-celebrities/17-time-world-champion-powerlifter-barbie-barbell

Meet Amanda Harris (AKA Barbie Barbell). At 21, 5’4” and 125lbs, she is a 17 time World Champion Powerlifter. Amanda has broken 468 state, national, and world records over the last 12 years with 95 competitions, and won all 95 meets.

My biggest and best lifts have been 420lbs. in the squat, 265lbs. with my bench-press and 365lbs. with the deadlift. Little girls are not supposed to be able to do things like that.
    I was diagnosed with acute scoliosis at the age of eight.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/BarbieBarbell/

She can lift far heavier weights than I do and looks amazing. crush.gif
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    It might not serve a purpose for you. You might not feel a need to do something like this. The thing is...you don't get to determine purpose and need for others. If she feels a need to do this, and succeeds, if she feels that this is her purpose, then she would be cheating herself by not doing it. Further, if other people want to consider her a hero for just that reason, then that's their right. I certainly think she is because my first response to adversity is to run away from it. Seeing other people who react opposite to that, inspires me to crawl out from under my rock and face my challenges. If it does nothing for you...so be it, but why do you care enough to buck against it?
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

She probably shouldn't read this article then:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Sports/Galleries/5-Inspiring-Athletes-Who-Overcame-Disabilities.aspx

Darn those people and their overcoming.

Love this article too! So nice to be reminded that our bodies are amazing things and we can do so much with them when we don't make excuses. I need to see this type of inspiration more often.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have an interest in getting into powerlifting, and I hope one day I can get somewhere even close to what she does. :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Again my point is -- why do people make celebrities out of people that are exceptions to the rule and have bodies that can do things to the extreme instead of taking time to feel inspired by and congratulate people that we see come to the gym week after week to improve their health and /or lose weight?

Some people do both.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    uRGUVLfbaakcHLKvKhAGBjHtaCeVAaGwJzKo.jpg

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/news-and-features/athletes-and-celebrities/17-time-world-champion-powerlifter-barbie-barbell

Meet Amanda Harris (AKA Barbie Barbell). At 21, 5’4” and 125lbs, she is a 17 time World Champion Powerlifter. Amanda has broken 468 state, national, and world records over the last 12 years with 95 competitions, and won all 95 meets.

My biggest and best lifts have been 420lbs. in the squat, 265lbs. with my bench-press and 365lbs. with the deadlift. Little girls are not supposed to be able to do things like that.
    I was diagnosed with acute scoliosis at the age of eight.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/BarbieBarbell/

Thanks for sharing this! It is wonderful to see inspiring stories of strong women overcoming obstacles!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Again my point is -- why do people make celebrities out of people that are exceptions to the rule and have bodies that can do things to the extreme instead of taking time to feel inspired by and congratulate people that we see come to the gym week after week to improve their health and /or lose weight?

Your point is pointless.

It is the people that achieve outstanding feats are the ones to admire.

Your basically saying "celebrate the average and ordinary and hate the outstanding achievers" :noway: