Ladies - weight lifting will make something bulky

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Again my point is -- why do people make celebrities out of people that are exceptions to the rule and have bodies that can do things to the extreme instead of taking time to feel inspired by and congratulate people that we see come to the gym week after week to improve their health and /or lose weight?

Who said they don't feel inspired by those type of people?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on my Facebook page, haha.

She benches, squats, AND dead lifts more than me, lol.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE PLEASE STOP.

This is a quality, inspirational, motivational thread. Do NOT let the troll that is healthgal hijack this into something else. She has never made a helpful contribution to any thread that I can remember.

Just set her to ignore and let this thread return to its previous awesomeness. Thank you HayBales for the OP

This dude is right.

This is a story of triumph over adversity and the power of the human spirit to overcome physical limitations.

Hooray!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that Amanda Harris (AKA Barbie Barbell) is the exception to the rule. Very few women could lift anywhere near that heavy without getting VERY bulky muscles.

Everyone's body does not react the same to heavy lifting. Some women DO bulk up from heavy lifting, and many women (and men) have injured themselves by trying to lift too heavy.

So while heavy lifting works for some, it is not without it's risks and drawbacks, and there is no real need to include heavy lifting in a quality fitness program.

No
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

This is a story of triumph over adversity and the power of the human spirit to overcome physical limitations.

Hooray!

If that girl's father was responsible, he would never have allowed her to try and lift so heavy -- especially with her health issues. She is just lucky that she hasn't had a major injury from lifting such extreme amounts of weight.

You're funny. I like you.

And I agree. It's a great thread about the ability of sport to inspire yourself and others to greatness.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Hooray!

If that girl's father was responsible, he would never have allowed her to try and lift so heavy -- especially with her health issues. She is just lucky that she hasn't had a major injury from lifting such extreme amounts of weight.
    headpat.gif You really are special, aren't you.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

Because they know that it's not a risk. Sitting on one's behind making excuses and rationalizations is a far greater risk to health. You have quite an ignorance about strength training. It's best you go read up on it. Or at a minimum stop making a fool of yourself here.

There is NO WAY she is not risking injury by lifting that heavy.

I risk death every morning on my drive to work. Should i quit my job? I mean, i need it to pay my bills and feed my kids, and there is NO WAY i'm not risking potential death making a 95+ mile commute 5-6 times per week.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Great story- so inspiring. Thanks for sharing it Bales.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Because they know that it's not a risk. Sitting on one's behind making excuses and rationalizations is a far greater risk to health. You have quite an ignorance about strength training. It's best you go read up on it. Or at a minimum stop making a fool of yourself here.

There is NO WAY she is not risking injury by lifting that heavy.

There is no way one is not risking death by breathing.

Yes, every elite sport practitioner risks injury. But it's likely that lifting actually improved her back and then she discovered she ad a gift. That and her amazing dedication give inspiring results. Inspiring for many of us.

Has she been injured? I'm sure she has, all of us that practice a sport experience injuries. We try to limit them but they hapoen. I have 12 or so broken and mended bones from racing bikes, mountain biking and a climbing fall. It does not matter, I would still do the things I do. And my daughters will rule their lives being active. Moderation is fine, if that is what you like, some of us strive for scars. If you aren't hitting some physical limit you aren't trying hard enough.

Edit: As a responsible father - I'm taking my 8 and 10 year old wall climbing tomorrow. Not keeping them under glass.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I can go to the gym and see people doing things more difficult than I can do at the present time, and be inspired that someday I can probably do the same if I keep working at it.

But why do we as a society keep looking up to athletic role models that are exceptions to the rule as to what is possible for the vast majority of us?

The dream of something greater than ourselves gives us hope when nothing else can.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I can go to the gym and see people doing things more difficult than I can do at the present time, and be inspired that someday I can probably do the same if I keep working at it.

But why do we as a society keep looking up to athletic role models that are exceptions to the rule as to what is possible for the vast majority of us?

Because they show immutable sense of grace, dedication and quality.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The only thing that makes her the exception is that she dedicats the time needed to acheive this goal
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The only thing that makes her the exception is that she dedicats the time needed to acheive this goal

QFT
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Just wow!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Hooray!

headpat.gif You really are special, aren't you.

Every day peoples ignorance manage to blow my mind lol. I'll remember to ask my father the next time I want to do something...because he's a genius lol.....</sarcasm>
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Because we (at least some of us) are capable of appreciating the exceptions, even if we don't have the same goal or abilities. Seeing anyone triumph feels good. It felt good to watch the Ravens win the Super Bowl... I was amazed when Jacoby Jones ran that kickoff return for a touchdown. I enjoy watching whatever horses win the Kentucky Derby, too. For that matter, I like watching dog shows, and my one-eyed oversized neutered Pekingese is no where near a show dog. :laugh:

I'm never going to lift as heavy as she does, and that's ok. I'm still inspired by her and others like her, because I'm lifting heavier than I ever though was possible for me.

I can applaud and be happy for my niece playing the saxophone in her middle school band, but I'm not going to buy an album of it or expect to hear them on the radio.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Edited to make Olivia's job easier. :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

That's like saying that anyone could be a star basketball player if they worked hard enough.,The vast majority of people could not develop the strength necessary for that kind of extremely heavy weight lifting, no matter how much they train.

That is completely untrue.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Most people have zero understanding of of what the difference of perceived risk is versus actual risk. The great thing is I do understand the difference which is why I am chosing to keep my original reply to myself and instead just put the troll on ignore. Stupid Troll is just stupid.

edited to remove the quotation of ignorance.