If MFP were a car forum...

Options

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The five fuels you should NEVER put in your tank!!!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Looking for other Christian drivers Add me!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    What is an NCV?
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I have a new car but my old one car recently has been looking very tempting. Would it be okay if I took it for a long hard drive every now and then? Do you think my new car would mind?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Looking for other Christian drivers Add me!

You can't post that here, you're just asking for a 50 car pile-up.

I got nitro installed, and now my exhaust system is giving off some bad fumes. Is this normal? Is there an adjustment period?
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the plans / blue prints for a pine cone car feeder ?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the plans / blue prints for a pine cone car feeder ?

No, but I can teach you how to make an owl from an empty toilet paper roll.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    What's the right balance of fuel, oil, antifreeze, and windshield washer fluid?
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hi! I drive a 2004 silver Dodge Durango, and I just got here! Are there any others driving 2004 silver Dodge Durangos? Can you add me for support? Drivers of small cars, need not apply.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I heard you can make your own bio-fuel that's just as good as regular fuel from banana mashed with oats.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Just wreck.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Lessoned learned

Don't keep driving over uneven pavement. The mechanic says I have to get my ball joints replaced.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    People who annoy you on the road....
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    What are some good tires for long distance driving? Do I need to go to a tire store? I don't have a lot of money to spend. Will a set of tires from walmart work?
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I used to have 20 inch blades, but since I started vehicle maintenance I now have standard 15 inch rims. :sad:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    The most embarrassing place you've ever audibly backfired.....
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What ticks you off about going to the mechanics.

What's the worst thing you've seen at the mechanics?
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Tip of the Day: topping off the rental car with the garden hose before returning can save you big $$$
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My story before and after with pic's...(I apoligize it's a long read).
    When I was 18 my parents gave me a simple but working car like this
    280px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg
    It was great. That thing took me everywhere.
    All over town for free dinners.
    Backstage at concerts.
    The beach almost every week.
    College and I even met my first fiancee with that thing.

Everyone thought it was so cute. Guys wanted to go in it all the time. Pretty much all guys.
    I mean there's almost no one who doesnt' like a cute little beetle right.
    They just wanted to be around it so much even though to me it was just average.
    I thought it just looked like every other boring little beetle I'd ever seen.

Anyway, I guess I was just young and dumb, or maybe had some mean words at the factory and maybe had some low self esteem or issues...because after lots of years "on the road" and letting lot's and lot's of drivers behind the wheel. The car became unrecognizable. I kept having this insane need to add anything and everything to the inside and outside of the car.

More embellishments, more "kit's", more and more and more fuel of any kind from any station, I wasn't picky! More long trips, more and more drivers who of course offered to buy gas sometimes questionable kinds but I wasn't asking questions I was just happy anyone wanted to go in my beetle when there were so many mercedez and BMW's and everything else around.

Not only were they generous with the gas, lots of them even added their own embellishments now and then. Until I got hooked on that. I thought this was all fair and great right? I'd heard that saying about not getting the cow for free so it seemed to me fair that gas, grass, or ???, no one should ride for free was a good saying too. So I just kept refueling and adding anything given, or that I'd sought out or bought myself. Until one day when driving past a dealer stocked with every beautiful new car and those huge windows I saw myself driving by and it was shameful.

1392792561_4f339d9d49_z.jpg?zz=1

No wonder people were staring at me. I'd become unrecognizable. I stopped going to family things for fear of what family would say. What would my parents think of me turning that beautiful albeit modest little bug into something so horrendous and excessive? What would their friends think of them. How could I ever even hope to find a new driver after letting the last one just do so many many wrong things to it? Could anyone see past all that to what really lie beneath. Even if I found one, how would he get in the car? And with all that extra weight could it even move? Had it become undriveable? So I stayed home a lot. A lot. I even became embarrassed to be seen in public because of the looks I would get.

Then one day I saw a TV show that set me straight! I don't remember if it was Pimp my Ride, OC Choppers, or a day long commercial for the LA Auto show, but something in me snapped. I realized I can DO THIS! I can transform MY OWN CAR!

I knew I had to do something soon before my current husband who actually met me with that car and did manage to drive it and I got rid of some of the excesses. But then just as things were getting good and we were getting it on the road more, we discovered we'd have to take a 9 month trip that required extra fuel and packing it full of sleeping bags and foam peanuts to transport a fragile little egg on that long journey.

All that adding once we finally managed after several hours to get the little egg out at the end of the nine months had left the car a little overloaded, but I managed to keep it at that level and not further impact it. Until it had to go to the shop twice for two really major overhauls that required lots of sitting in the garage and honestly that fragile egg was occupying most of our minds and attention we kind of ignored the car.

So now I am here trying to get back to my project of eliminating all that extra crap to get back to a car that runs smoothly. I'd really like to look good for the man who was willing to drive that hunk o' junk.. I feel that now that the egg has hatched into a little chick that goes places and is already starting to talk of a car of his own, I should start back to restoring that car. Instead of just sitting around waiting until something like this catches his eye. And he drives off in a newer model...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkw9Dj3UsEOBo2CxLG8Nujw3z7_eaXTGftp3De0ETN8aYA6CYBSw

I mean I can look like that. I've already had the body work, and I now sell the stuff required for the cosmetic changes and I get new paint jobs all the time about every 6 weeks. I can totally DO THIS! I got this! I got the basic framework, and I've learned to love my body style that I was originally given at 18 and have learned that there are plenty and I mean plenty of men who like little cars. Who don't really need big engines, or fancy hood ornaments and are just satisfied with precisely the kind of cute curves a little car like this has. I feel so much better with what I'm working with and can't wait. I can't wait to see that reflection in the mirror and then take a vacation with just me and the hubby and the top down!