Do people actually comment on your weight loss?

Options
I lost 28 pounds before christmas in 3 months. (Didnt record it all) I then put on about 5lbs of christmas weight which i managed to lose in a couple of weeks in jan. This was just by eating within my calorie allowance (most days) but i still pretty much ate what I wanted and allowed myself treats.

I then realise any tone i had previously had gone so i took up the gym, been trying to go at least 3 times a week now for 4 weeks and although have not lost a pound i have lost 1 and half inch off waist and little amounts from other areas. Im pleased with myself but would still like to lose more and continue to tone up.

Its strange that apart from family and partner no one has mentioned my weight loss to me? Its a little disheartening. Anyone else had this??

Replies

• 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Count yourself lucky!

When I had lost 18lb I asked my bed-partner to tell me where he thought it was missing from. After a thorough and detailed inspection he announced that he cannot see any difference in my body whatsoever <sigh>.
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have posted the same question. I have lost 20 lbs and no one has said a word. Most people answered my post with they had lost 30-35 lbs before people said any thing. So I am waiting for that magic number to see if people notice. Int the meantime, I am very happy with what I have done and plan to continue on the journey. They will notice one day.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well I am just hoping that one day he'll go to grab my fat azz and notice there is less of it LOL
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 pounds before christmas in 3 months. (Didnt record it all) I then put on about 5lbs of christmas weight which i managed to lose in a couple of weeks in jan. This was just by eating within my calorie allowance (most days) but i still pretty much ate what I wanted and allowed myself treats.

I then realise any tone i had previously had gone so i took up the gym, been trying to go at least 3 times a week now for 4 weeks and although have not lost a pound i have lost 1 and half inch off waist and little amounts from other areas. Im pleased with myself but would still like to lose more and continue to tone up.

Its strange that apart from family and partner no one has mentioned my weight loss to me? Its a little disheartening. Anyone else had this??

A lot of guys are cautious to say anything related to weight loss or looks-unless the woman brings up the topic first, i.e. gives a little feedback on the direction wanted. Thus, silence does not mean the weight loss is not noticed.
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I read a comment from someone on here saying if you loose regularly over a number of months, you will notice in 6 weeks, your family will notice in 8 weeks an your friends in 12 weeks, I guess that means at about 12lbs, 16lbs and 24lbs! Although I guess many ar frightened to comment. (well that's what I keep telling myself xx)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    "you are skinny enough why do you need to join a gym now?"

"oh my god look at you, skin & bones"

"I bet you ate nothing"

I thought you looked ok before"

All said mainly by the one person, a woman who eats vegan & organic & then wonders why SHE is the one doped up on medication & fat?
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    I think people who see you everyday are less likely to notice since its gradual?

My mother always notices anyway but my dad works abroad for a month and home for a month, and when he only really notices after he has been away for a while. My boyfriend says he notices it but I am not convinced! I haven't lost enough for my colleagues to comment on it either. Think it depends on where it comes off!
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I lost between 25 & 28 pounds before people started really noticing/commenting. Then I stopped losing: haha! But I will say, it was around the same time that I first started buying new clothes because the old ones were far too loose/frumpy-looking on me. I also got a new hairstyle for the new me. Now EVERYONE notices/comments and it kind of gets embarrassing.

SO.... Have you bought any new clothes that fit better? You might be surprised to find yourself in a new, slimmer size and people will notice that you look better in your clothes. It's not so noticeable if you're still wearing the same old stuff that now doesn't even fit right, even though it might still be wearable with a belt.

And do you otherwise carry yourself a little differently, with a little more confidence? That helps too: the more confidence you build in your new self, self-image, the more people will look at you and notice too, if that's what you want... Hold your head up high; you've worked hard for it! Own it...
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My closest friends comment on my weight loss. Some of them have been telling me how proud they are of me. It's nice to hear. One of them suggested that I go to the grocery store and put together the amount of weight I have lost in packets of butter so that I could understand it myself. I did! She also suggested I get a spare fridge and put a new pack of butter in it every time I lost the same amount of weight... I havent gone that far :)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It really depends for me,certain friends and family members will notice and the reaction isn't always positive.It's also very dependent on what the person is like,I have a few very supportive friends and they will notice straight away and be encouraging,those who I know for a fact who not happy with themselves choose to say nothing.

As long as I see inches lost I'm happy :)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Some do, some don't - but then I'm not doing it for complements... I'm doing it for me.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    Over the course of a year I lost 60 lbs before I joined MFP. I weighed 240 when I started my current job in Aug of 2011. In Aug of 2012 I started telling the girls I'd lost 60 lbs in the last year they didn't believe me until I started showing the picture on my work ID, then they could see it.

However, one day after work my nephew, who hadn't seen me in a good 4 months, was driving up in front of my parents while talking on the phone to his Dad, who was standing in front of the garage with me. "Who's that lady you're talking to, Dad?" Then realized it was me and was floored "OMG that's Aunt Cindy and she's skinny!" Then raved about how great I looked when he got out of the car.

People who see you everyday don't notice, and like one of the sweet ladies I work with said "Honey I just see the light in your eyes and the smile you always have, I don't notice if you're fat or not"
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    the short answer is no. I've lost 30lb in total since September last year and the only people to notice were my best friend and my mum. I have dropped a clothes size and I noticed my stomach is looking smaller but clearly no one has!
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've lost 23lbs so far, and the only person to have noticed and commented is my hubby, and tbh, I think he's only saying it to make me feel better lol.

I have dropped over a dress size though! So it must be a tiny bit noticeable.

I think the last 15-20lbs will be very noticeable, I've got my BMI down from 37 to 31, but I think it will most noticeable when I go from 28ish to 24 :)
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    the short answer is no. I've lost 30lb in total since September last year and the only people to notice were my best friend and my mum. I have dropped a clothes size and I noticed my stomach is looking smaller but clearly no one has!

Sorry to be blunt- but you are confusing "commenting" with "noticing". Just because people did not comment does not mean they did not notice. I assure you, the vast majority of people notice you lost 30lb. Many will not "comment" because they are jealous. Many will not comment-because at work any comments relating to looks (makeup, dress, weight, age, etc) are off limits. Etc. So enjoy the weight loss!
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No. I celebrated losing 20lbs by wearing a nice dress in a size 16 (UK), and when my friend saw me she recommended this great website when you can buy dresses up to a size 32. She repeated the "size 32" part at least 4 or 5 times.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My DH notices and comments but then he knows how much effort I put in, and he gets to see me naked, so I'd be pretty bummed if he didn't notice or comment.

My friends and coworkers who I see every day, nope. My in laws who see me a couple of times a week no (MIL kept marveling at a mutual friend who had lost 7kg which was incidentally the exact same weight that I had lost)

My parents were overseas for 3 months and when they came back mum couldn't stop commenting. Likewise a colleague at work was on leave for 2 months and she still hasn't picked her jaw up from the floor, keeps asking what the secret is, as if there is one!

My experience is that no male would ever comment on my weight loss (except for my husband and brother). Although one of my colleagues keeps asking me if I have changed my hair or bought new clothes because I look different. It's funny to see him scratching his head. :tongue:
  • cocono
    cocono Posts: 22
    Options
    I think it is true that in work places most people don't feel comfortable making these kinds of remarks. I also think that other people are not as focussed on us as we are! It is also good that they might not notice when you lose weight because if some sneaks back on they won't notice that either!!:wink:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 50lbs since moving overseas. My friends here saw me put on weight (about 35 lbs) and I have now lost that plus some.

People notice, even if they never come right out and say "you've lost weight!". Nobody ever says anything like that to me. I'm guessing that's because they feel it might be rude to do so, and/or or they might be wrong, and how embarrassing would that be? Also, if someone has lost a bunch of weight and you're not sure if that was something they did on purpose or if it happened for other reasons, it's generally not something you want to make a big deal of. That's how I feel, anyway.

I've had women friends beam at me and say "Wow, you look GREAT....." and give me a suspicious look like they're waiting for me to announce that I've had plastic surgery, dyed my hair, or ummmm, lost weight! However, I just thank them and smile back. I like to remain mysterious! Guy friends react in pretty much the same way, but tend to be even more cautious. My teenage son says nothing at all (typical of him). My husband comments if I've prodded him, mostly. But to his credit he has made a few unsolicited remarks, too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they will once it's noticable. Everyone knows I'm trying to lose weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!