Do people actually comment on your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yep after 100 lbs
    still the same person but infintely healthier
    good luck
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost around 40 or so before anyone noticed. As long as my pants keep having a smaller number, that's the opinion that I care for. Don't give up-especially with the ppl who see you every day-the change is incremental so it doesn't register so much-because it is not dramatic-they almost see it as it happens, not just one day you are such and such size then the next you are 4 siazes smaller.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 4-5lbs since September and several people have commented that they can see a difference. I don't know how this is possible, I'm still wearing the same clothes. They tell me that I look tighter. I guess I was loose before? lol...
  • latepaul
    latepaul Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried dieting I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want any pressure. I thought after a while that people would notice though. It took 6months and 75lbs before anyone commented. I think it's partly a work thing and partly a guy thing. One friend told me he'd noticed but didn't want to say anything in case I was ill.

But people noticing and commenting is a mixed blessing. A lot of people will beam at you and ask you "How did you do it?" as if there's some secret diet or exercise technique that you've found. When you tell then it's just persistance and hard work you can see the disappointment. I find that a little annoying.

And you can only tell people for the first time once if you know what I mean. I've been up and down again since that first time and so now I'm known as someone who's trying to lose weight. It was quite nice being anonymous, especially if I was having a bad day. I'm doing IF now and the other day was a non-fast day and I was picking up a muffin at work when someone commented, "not going for the healthy option then." Said with a smile and not meant harshly really but still a little dig I could live without.
  • fyoufat
    Options
    I have heard when there is a loss of 10% of your body weight then people start to notice, but from reading these that doesn't always seem to hold true.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    No one really said anything until I had lost 30+. After that, I've heard it several times a day it's freaking crazy. It does take a while for others to notice.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    When I was super morbibly obese, I had to lose at least 70+ pounds before many would notice other than close friends and immediate family.

Now that I am smaller, people begin to notice around 20+. and I think when I lose 30+ more and more will notice and comment. I have had several comments already at 15 ounds lost.

It is nice when others comment but like others have said it has it advantages and draw backs too.

That is where MFP peeps come in for daily encouragement to keep us going no matter what others say or don't say.

We are doing for ourselves and our health and/or vainty. Either way we just have to keep on trucking when others don't comment or have not noticed yet.
  • dgljones
    Options
    True story. Last week a young girl at work, who had previously noticed my weight loss and has only been there a year or so said "have you lost some more weight?" To which an older woman, who has worked directly for me, and who I have individual meetings with every week or more often, for over a decade said "oh, have you lost any weight?"

I have lost 134lbs and 16 inches off my waist.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Remember if you are in x-size clothes like I was, those clothes are designed to hide you. So it could be awhile before anyone notices. I swear, I didn't even notice much until I'd lost about 50 pounds, and I'm talking looking at myself in the bathroom mirror with no clothes.

So I took the differences I was seeing and went with that. Like the ability to work out for more than ten minutes without puking and the ability to go up and down the stairs without being out of breath any more.

After I hit around that 50 pounds lost mark I started seeing changes every month and sometimes every week. And so does everyone else. The family members I see only on special occasions are especially astonished. My mom for sure noticed because I raided her old clothes for jeans she can't wear anymore. My son says I'm starting to look like my (very fit and thin) sister, and every time my dad comes to pick up my son for a weekend he opens every conversation with, "I don't know, I think you're getting too skinny now." If he doesn't stop it I'm going to stop speaking to him! :grumble:
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes---but in our current "sexual harassment paranoia" society people ARE afraid to comment in the workplace on anything related to appearance..:smile:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Close family and friends started noticing at around 35 pounds, they also knew that I was working on it so they were looking for it. My hubby only noticed recently, unless I showed him side by side comparison pics (it was too gradual and he sees me every day). A couple of weeks ago, he did look at me funny as I came down the stairs in my workout clothes, my first thought was "do I have a booger? Is there toilet paper stuck to my shoe?". He said "you are shrinking.". Pffft, 60 pounds loss and he finally notices. He cracks me up.

But, now when I bump into acquaintances who haven't seen me in a long time, it takes them a few minutes to figure out who I am. They may not comment on my weight loss, but I've heard twice in the past week "wow, I didn't even recognize you!". I'm telling myself that it's because of my weight loss and not because my hair is no longer pink. It's probably both.

A lot of people just won't comment on weight loss, for whatever reason.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    people started noticing when I was at 10 pounds lost. Now at 28, a lot of people notice. Maybe it depends on how much you have to lose in the beginning or if you have one trouble spot where you lose all the weight or if it's throughout your body.

I think that people notice it on me a lot more than I notice it on myself though.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Only my mom and my husband notice any change. I figure people won't notice at all who see me but aren't close... until they see an old pic or something and some people may not notice until I hit my halfway point. All that matters to me is that I notice really.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    True story. Last week a young girl at work, who had previously noticed my weight loss and has only been there a year or so said "have you lost some more weight?" To which an older woman, who has worked directly for me, and who I have individual meetings with every week or more often, for over a decade said "oh, have you lost any weight?"

I have lost 134lbs and 16 inches off my waist.
    WOW!!! That is interesting because no matter what 100 pounds is noticable on anyone!
  • badmojo108
    Options
    I moved in the middle of my weight loss, so it wasn't enough for people to notice before I left (245 -> 220), but enough that anyone I have known post-move doesn't know the fat me. Overall I've lost 65lbs and have yet to hear any comments about my weight loss lol. It's a really good thing I am pretty self motivated.

I will admit though, two of my closest friends coming to visit me in two weeks, last time they saw me I was around 220, down to 180 now, I am hoping for a positive reaction.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Remember if you are in x-size clothes like I was, those clothes are designed to hide you. So it could be awhile before anyone notices. I swear, I didn't even notice much until I'd lost about 50 pounds, and I'm talking looking at myself in the bathroom mirror with no clothes.

So I took the differences I was seeing and went with that. Like the ability to work out for more than ten minutes without puking and the ability to go up and down the stairs without being out of breath any more.
    I agree. It took me a long time to look and the mirror and notice I was not HUGE anymore. I would even still pull larger sizes off the rack because I still thought a xxl, 1x or 2x has to be too small and definitely looked too small to me.
  • devastation77
    Options
    Don't do it for anybody but you.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Sorry to be blunt- but you are confusing "commenting" with "noticing". Just because people did not comment does not mean they did not notice. I assure you, the vast majority of people notice you lost 30lb. Many will not "comment" because they are jealous. Many will not comment-because at work any comments relating to looks (makeup, dress, weight, age, etc) are off limits. Etc. So enjoy the weight loss!

So true!

Years ago I lost over 20kg, and my face was so different.... no comment... I even went from blond to brunette at the same time - no comment. Only my mum, dad and a guy-best friend who was so happy for me!
    I got tons of comment much later, when I was sustaining the weight loss, 5-6 months later: the comments were believe it or not:
    - I am not sure I am comfortable going out with you at the bar, because now I am not the center of attention, YOU are! - female "friend"
    - We'll go out, but not with my boyfriend, cause you're single, and you'll might catch his eye (WHAT?? I am, by the way, not that kind of a person, never was, never will)
    - I'm so jealous because now you have so much confidence, you look better than me - few female "friends"

And..... the compliments came from guys - friends and people I've met/known for a while. They were honest!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Your clothes could be concealing your weight loss. When you buy new, smaller clothes people will begin to see it and will comment.
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    About...wow!, I guess nearly 10 years ago, I had lost just shy of 100lbs. The doctor I worked for one day asked if I had lost weight...at that point I had lost 80lbs. I laughed and said...yeah, 80lbs. In my defense though, I'm a dental hygienist and it's hard to tell in scrubs. But, it is disheartening when you've worked so hard and it isn't until 80lbs that he noticed. I try to be my own biggest cheerleader, but outside encouragement feels so good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!