Do people actually comment on your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Hello sometimes its better when people don't say anything as I'm finding out. Since last April I've lost about 43 lbs, which was 47 before the holidays. Back on track now and working on getting rid of the extra 5 (and then some too) but oddly enough the same people that been so quick to dish out compliments and tell me how great I looked are the same people that feel it's their place to comment on my 'slipping' during the holidays and would say things like "Oh, do you don't want to eat that." What's funny is these people do NOT have room to talk and are people I work with. Not family, not friends - just people from work who feel they can say such things. I won't let then get to me, but the audacity some people have is mind blowing as I'd never imagine doing the same.
  • dgljones
    Options
    True story. Last week a young girl at work, who had previously noticed my weight loss and has only been there a year or so said "have you lost some more weight?" To which an older woman, who has worked directly for me, and who I have individual meetings with every week or more often, for over a decade said "oh, have you lost any weight?"

I have lost 134lbs and 16 inches off my waist.
    WOW!!! That is interesting because no matter what 100 pounds is noticable on anyone!

To be fair that lady isn't, well, the smartest, and other people have noticed, although I always get those 'no way' looks when I tell them how much I've lost.
    It is certainly noticeable, 16 inches less waist is a huge amount. 4x clothes to a L is certainly noticeable as well. Also, as has been pointed out, some people will notice and say nothing for various reasons.
  • cheshire29
    Options
    Only one of my family members (dad) acknowledged that I lost weight and that was after I brought it up. I think they must feel awkward. At first I thought it might not be noticeable but lately I've had a few experiences that lead me to believe that is not the case. This past week I saw one of my old employees who I hadn't seen in 2 years. He didn't recognize me. He's young and not the sharpest crayon in the box, but still. I mentioned it to a few of my current staff and they both said "you look completely different than 2 years ago!" This was the first time I had heard that. All in all I think weight is a pretty sensitive subject but if you bring it up others will comment.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    people that see you all the time will notice, (but may not say anything).
    people that only see you on occasion will definitely notice, and probably say something.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Nobody said anything to me until around 35 lbs and even then only a couple people. As soon as i hit about 50 lbs a lot more people were noticing. Now? I cant go anywhere without the comments.
  • lease1981
    Options
    People who haven't seen me in awhile will tell me i've lost weight, but people I see more often don't notice as much yet. I think it is a thing where if someone sees you a lot then they just may not notice yet.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think some people do not comment because it makes them consider their own weight,or fitness.As well as some of the other reasons people mentioned,thinking you are not well or may insult you.
    I do think people notice and talk to others..as well as weight gain just not to us!
    I have currently lost 18 lbs since the first of the year,its 11% of my body weight I have 6 lbs to be where I would like to be.No one has said a word except my wonderful husband who keeps telling me I look great.....but he did at my heaviest which was 38 lbs more than this(5 yrs ago).....but what he said when he hugged me the other day he said how little I feel:)
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I want folks to say something, and when they do, I feel weird about it. I'm hurt if they don't say something, and then if they do, it feels like they're confirming that I was indeed fat before.

Plus as a guy, I don't think folks are conditioned to remark on men's looks in general - a sign of our sexist society?

I'm also hesitant to comment on a lady's appearance. Unless I'm really good friends, I'm afraid it will sound like I'm hitting on her.

So long story short, don't take it personally and remember that the mirror and your clothes tell you each morning how well you're doing :)
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I read a comment from someone on here saying if you loose regularly over a number of months, you will notice in 6 weeks, your family will notice in 8 weeks an your friends in 12 weeks, I guess that means at about 12lbs, 16lbs and 24lbs! Although I guess many ar frightened to comment. (well that's what I keep telling myself xx)

^^^^^^^^ This...
    The crazy thing is we are obsessed with each and every lb lost and gained but most of those around us just see us and not the minor and sometimes major fluctuations... It takes a big difference to be noticeable on someone you see regularly...
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs and I don't get many comments. Some people who know I am trying to lose weight say "Oh I can totally tell" but I don't know if they are doing it to humor me, or that they really can.

Honestly, I can tell a difference and that is all that matters. Even simple things like shaving my legs in the shower has gotten so much easier for me because I'm not fighting as big of a belly lol.

Keep on going! I assume it is kinda like weight gain. You never really notice it until one day you are like dang....how did that happened??
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    The first 6 months or so which equals 60 lbs no one really noticed, I did cause I had room in clothes. But after that people started saying things and even my husband said he noticed bones in my butt (he meant my hip bones). People who havent' seen me in year are the funniest, they have to pick their chin up off the floor and a few of them didn't know who I was. You'll get there but it takes time. I wanted to lose at a faster rate and not piddle around so that's what I'm doing. I'm 1 year and 1 month in and I'm still going strong and enjoying what I do. I can't wait to buy some new clothes......again.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My experience is that no male would ever comment on my weight loss (except for my husband and brother). Although one of my colleagues keeps asking me if I have changed my hair or bought new clothes because I look different. It's funny to see him scratching his head. :tongue:

This cracks me up because it's so true. People will compliment your hair, your eyes, your make up, your complexion...because they know something is different but they aren't sure what. I was just having this discussion with my husband last week about the people I work with. They have complimented EVERYTHING lately. HAHA....I'll take it.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    The first 6 months or so which equals 60 lbs no one really noticed, I did cause I had room in clothes. But after that people started saying things and even my husband said he noticed bones in my butt (he meant my hip bones). People who havent' seen me in year are the funniest, they have to pick their chin up off the floor and a few of them didn't know who I was. You'll get there but it takes time. I wanted to lose at a faster rate and not piddle around so that's what I'm doing. I'm 1 year and 1 month in and I'm still going strong and enjoying what I do. I can't wait to buy some new clothes......again.

Lol yes, seeing people that you haven't since starting this journey is the best! They're always in shock. I met an old friend at a bar & he said he walked around the place 3 times looking for me. Kept walking right past me LOL!
  • mollie6986
    mollie6986 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite happen to me! I haven't lost anything recently but people I haven't seen in the last few months keep saying how good I look, what am I doing, how much have a lost?! idk why... But I wonder how big I actually was or how big they thought I was last time!! But keep up the good work, people will notice!! And it will probably be when you least expect a compliment!!! :wink:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It has been most amazing to me that people who would never have commented on my slightly larger body feel perfectly okay with commenting on how thin I am. I am actually getting annoyed with it.
  • JillyBadass
    JillyBadass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs since Jan 2.. I've had a couple of comments from step mom and husband, and my gay neighbor noticed too. I JUST started a new job, so none of those people know I've been losing weight. All the more motivation to start getting some comments from them!!

I did have a NSV on Sunday though, putting on a top I haven't worn in a while and it was loose!! I filled the thing OUT before, and it was a mind trip to see it loose on me!

I <3 MFP!
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My spouse is not very supportive, hes actually insecure about me getting back into shape. I have always been small up until about a year ago. He is actually trying to sabotage my weight loss. He tries to guilt me out of going to the gym by accusing me of not wanting to spend time with him anymore and he bought me a snickers, my absolute favorite! He has said he hopes I dont leave him when I get back in shap, has asked if anyone has bothered me while I am working out and asked me how many phone numbers I got! It makes me sad:(. I finally told him it would be nice if he would support me, im doing this for the whole family. I know how you feel. But congrats to you, thats awesome! Keep up the good work:).
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 30 lbs with almost no one noticing. It was around when I hit the 35 lb mark that a friend or two commented. It was at the 40 lb mark that suddenly everyone that I was seeing was either commenting or giving me that wow-you-look-different look. I feel like everyone has some point within their weightloss where an extra 5 lbs up or down makes a big difference in their appearance, and I think it's mostly a matter of hitting that point. Feeling healthy and better about yourself is what matters most though. You know your body better than anyone else, so you will be the first person to notice changes. Keep at it, and the comments will come.
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on anyone's weight loss unless I know that they are trying to lose. I know too many people who have lost because of illness, stress or eating disorders so I try not to say anything unless I am SURE that they are actively trying to lose weight for a healthy lifestyle.

Yes, this. I ran into an acquaintance I hadn't seen for a while, and she had lost weight. I thought she looked great and almost commented, but didn't. Thank goodness, because I found out later she has cancer. :(
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Yes... a lot...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!