maybe it's time to be serious... 30 Day Shred anyone?

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums area here, but have been logging my food since the beggining of March on MFP. About 2 years ago, I logged food and had wonderful succes between logging and exercise, but, unfortunately, I quit doing both of those things. I'm 25 years old and getting married in October of this year. I would like to drop around 30 lbs by then, which would put me close to my goal weight. I'm 5 foot 10 inches and 190 lbs as of right now.

Soo...I am going to start Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to get back into exercise. I would like to share this journey with a few people for support and motivation. If you're interested, please let me know :bigsmile: I'm looking for people committed to doing the shred at least 5 days a week at whichever level they are comfortable at. Also, I plan on posting whats going on in my life too, because I think its an important factor in motivation and consistency.

Hope to get to know some of you over the next 30 days and beyond.

Replies

• SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi there, I am definitely interested. I dont know much about the plan but I'm at that stage where I will do anything I have support with. I am a stay at home mom to a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old. With my daughter I gained 70 pounds and at 21 years old the weight just simply slid off no work at all I got back down to 140 in about 6 months, which was about 10 over my starting weight. With this second pregnancy and now going on 24 I feel my body has really really lacked in the metabolism area. I started at 150 and gained 35 pounds. Now four months later I weigh exactly what I did when I left the hospital 178 :(. For a while there I didnt care about what I ate or what I did and thought I would drop most of it again. I was honestly between cokes, fast food and candy at about 3000 to 4000 calories a day. For the past 10 days I have been worked out about 5 and have eaten between 1100 to 1500 calories a day. I havent been dieting as much as I should but it was really hard to take out cokes and candy so I have been working on one thing at a time basically no coke if anything maybe 3 oz or so and no candy and if I eat just as healthy as I can be as in salads and vegtables whatever amount I want though. But basically I am depressed 10 days later and I still weigh the same 178 :(. I honestly thought I would lose a few pounds considering I knocked off half in not more of my regular diet, But this has really pushed me over the edge to realize I need to do something different. I am worried a big part may be my sleeping schedule but there isnt anything I can do about that. Both my kids still wake up so I get any where from 4 to 6 hours a night and I really really hope that isnt my problem. The diet I was planning on trying starting next Monday is what my friend just did - Breakfast, oatmeal and skim milk Snack, Almonds Lunch, Raw veggies and yogurt, Dinner, 3 oz of chicken, 1/2 cup of brown rice, and steamed veggies no butter or salt. This will take a lot from me since I HATE milk and yogurt but she lost a lot of weight and I really hope it can work for me as well. I would like to start with a goal of 30 pounds with eventually losing 50!!! I really need support my husband works a lot and is a skinny I can eat anything type of guy and just doesnt understand. And with being home all day and hanging out with a toddler I am surrounded by food :( Again I am interested being your support if you will be mine :)
  • malibootie
    malibootie Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I j got the Shred yesterday and tried to start it today. I didn't get all the way through it, but I would love to keep pushing and commit myself to doing it. I am in!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    SKYEBOWS >I would encourage you, being the one that has tried eveything, to try and find just a balanced diet . . . not an extreme either way. And a diet that is so limiting and half the ingredients you don't even like (hate even) . . . really the turtle wins over the hare. Fast and furious weight loss is no good if it ain't gonna stick, as a life-long lifestyle. Fall in love with good, healthy, whole foods . . . and exercise you can enjoy . . . and just live healthy. The outcome will always be positive . . . patience. I lost all my weight after my second kid but it did take longer and it took a little more work. 10 days is all you've given it . . .

In regards to the Shred, I don't really have money for another program at this time . . . I do enjoy the Jillian Michaels dvds that I do have, very effective and efficient means of cross training . . . But I wish you all the best on your journeys! Can't overdue support!!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    would love to do this with ya bubbles! but can we start monday? I'll be out of town all weekend but need to get SERIOUS as soon as I get back and a lot of ppl are very far on the shred or just have really big groups that its not very personal at all.
    anyhoo! can't wait to start back up on the shred!
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Yay! This is exactly what I was looking for :) I like smaller groups, it keeps me accountable.

SkyeBows -- I am absolutely interested in being your support here. I would also discourage you from a diet you may hate though. I also dislike milk and yogurt (and almonds), so there is no way I would be able to choke down that kind of a diet. I watch my calories and eat healthy and fresh "most" of the time, but I allow myself to have the things I enjoy as well. I try to work them into my daily calories. Think about trying to put together a healthy meal plan before you go with the drastically healthy one you dislike. I know you're probably short on time too, but it's worth it in the long run. I go to the grocery store twice a week to get breakfasts and lunches and then worry about dinners throughout the week. The weather has been nice here, so we've been grilling most of our food :D The 30 Day Shred is a DVD by Jillian Michaels, it has three levels. 26-ish minutes per level, but she really kicks your butt for those 26 mins. I bought my copy on Amazon for $10 with shipping if you're interested in purchasing it.

malibootie -- Yay! I did shred this morning too. I had to pause it for a second so I could get all the way through it. I have only been brave enough to try level 1, once I can do it comfortably, I'm going to move on :) I'm excited for 30 days of shredding!!!

nolachick -- I'm glad you're in! I feel you on other groups being too big or impersonal. Enjoy your weekend trip! I look forward to starting Monday with you!

Okay, I have to run as I'm at work. I hope to get on here later and post a bit about myself.
    Hope you're all having a great day!
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    SKYEBOWS >I would encourage you, being the one that has tried eveything, to try and find just a balanced diet . . . not an extreme either way. And a diet that is so limiting and half the ingredients you don't even like (hate even) . . . really the turtle wins over the hare. Fast and furious weight loss is no good if it ain't gonna stick, as a life-long lifestyle. Fall in love with good, healthy, whole foods . . . and exercise you can enjoy . . . and just live healthy. The outcome will always be positive . . . patience. I lost all my weight after my second kid but it did take longer and it took a little more work. 10 days is all you've given it . . .

In regards to the Shred, I don't really have money for another program at this time . . . I do enjoy the Jillian Michaels dvds that I do have, very effective and efficient means of cross training . . . But I wish you all the best on your journeys! Can't overdue support!!

If you want to join us, we would love to have you. I'm not strict on it being 30 day shred, as long as you're comitting yourself to 5 days of JM per week. I am really just looking for some support and accountability :)
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    I hope you all had a good day, mine was long and I'm ready to go to bed (actually already in bed, but wanted to check in before lights out). Started off the day with 30 Day Shred Level 1, and as mentioned had to pause part of the way through so I could finish. I hope tomorrow morning will go more smoothly. After that, I had to rush to get myself ready, make lunch and get out the door for work. Very busy day today at work, which is great, but exhausting. Tonight, I hung out with my love for a bit and watched Ghost Adventures on the travel channel while munching on pizza (in calories for the day).

A Little About Me:

-- I am 25 soon to be 26 in July.
    --Getting married in October to the love of my life. In August, we will have been together 6 years, engaged 3 of those.
    --My fiance is one of those naturally thin "I can eat anything," high metabolism types...
    --We have a cat name Tinker who is 5 and terrified of thunderstorms.
    --I got my bachelors degree in Business Management and Marketing in August of 2008, which also happened to be when I was at one of my lowest weights since graduating high school.
    --I think that 'How I Met Your Mother ' is the best show ever invented. Harry Potter series for best books <---dork, i know :) I also enjoy Christopher Moore books immensely.
    --Biggeset food weaknesses are ice cream and Taco Bell mexican pizza. Strengths are veggies (any of them, especially cooked) and turkey (oh, how i adore thee).
    --Lowest recent weight was 170 in August 2008, at which point I was logging my food intake, making healthy choices and running 2 miles at least 4 days a week. The following 18 months became extremely stressful, and I turned to food for comfort. I also quit running because my knees were bothering me.

--If you want to know anything else, just ask!!

oh, and my name is Jamie -- so feel free to call me that :) My fiance calls me Bubbles, so thats were the screen name came from.

Jamie
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Happy Easter everyone! I managed to stay mostly within my calorie range today despite the yummy foods around. Unfortunately, I didn't get to sneak a workout in, but will definitely be shredding come tomorrow morning :D I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning too, so I hope everyone is ready to shred!

Jamie
  • nolachick
    Options
    Just got back from Dallas and even though I been gone all weekend I can assure you I have been thinking about MFP and my new shred challenge. Tomorrow I will jumpstart this thing and try the Blast Fat Boost Metabolism DVD, I've had it sitting there for a few weeks and its about damn time I do this. Hoping this will shock my body and kick it into fat burning gear!

I work all day so my workouts will be at night.
  • malibootie
    Options
    Jamie- I will share some info about me as well.

I am 35 years old but still act like a 16 year old.
    I am the oldest teeny bopper you will ever meet (I heart NKOTB and NSync...)
    My niece turned one year last week and she is the absolute light of my life. I had no idea that I could love someone so much.
    Never been married- yet. Currently I am single but hope it won't stay that way.
    ALSO think How I Met Your Mother is brilliant and have love for quirky shows like Modern Family, Arrested Development, and Sports Night. (Don't get me started on the end all and be all of shows: anything by Joss Whedon- oh Buffy and Angel, how I miss you).

I have struggled with weight forever. I am 5'10" and was always the tallest girl. I also felt like the fattest girl- even when I wasn't. At my heaviest (about 2 years ago) I was 251. I may cry from happiness if I can ever get down to 180 and not have to shop in a "plus size" store. Currently I can buy tops in "regular" stores, but the bottoms aren't there yet.

Oh yea, and I have a fish. Just one- Leroy. He's a beta. :) The good news with Leroy is that I don't have to rush home after work to let him out or feed him, nor do I have to get up on rainy/snowy days. The bad news? He doesn't really enjoy "cuddle time". :blushing:
  • malibootie
    Options
    This past weekend I did the shred one day (and I actually fought my way all the way through it for the first time). Yesterday I just couldn't face the push ups and squats, so I ran the stairs at my apt building- that would be 60 steps up and 60 steps down, and I did the loop 4 times. Tonight I have a training session at the gym, which will actually be an hour straight of strength training. And then tomorrow back on the Shred bandwagon.
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    malibootie -- Thank you for sharing! Seems that we have a few things in common. I did not post my height, but I am 5'9" and have always been the tallest as well. I couldn't understand where you're coming from any more. I've always felt overweight, even when I wasn't. I stand a head taller than most of my girl friends, and am often the same height as my guy friends (thank the heavens my fiance is 6'1"!) and it makes you feel like a giant. Sheesh, I always thought I was the only one. It's been frustrating to buy clothes my entire life, because jeans and tops are always too short. It can be incredibly discouraging :/ You can absolutely reach your goal, I was at 170 about 2 years ago and felt like a different person. It's funny though, because I have wide hips I don't feel like I get slimmer, I flatten out :laugh:

As far as the exercising, I hear ya on those squats and push ups! owie :grumble: Strength training at the gym should be a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, I don't have a gym membership, so I'll be shredding most of the time, biking sometimes and maybe running soon. Have fun at the gym and let us know how it goes!

nolachick -- Glad you're home and ready to do this!! Let me know how the BFBM is, I was thinking of buying that one before I bought 30DS. Does Jillian still kill you with squats and push ups? Check in with us tonight if you get a chance and have a great workout.
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Well, everything has gone as planned for me today. I did the Shred Level 1 this morning before work, weighed in and took "before" pics. I will post at least one soon :/ I decided to do my weigh ins on our Wii Fit because our bathroom scale has seen better days. It said I weighed 4 lbs more than I thought, so 194, but have lost 4 lbs since Christmas... so I guess I'm okay with that. The shred almost killed me this morning, worse than Friday and Saturday last week. Hopefully it does actually get easier!

I've had a rather slow day at work and I'm ready to go home and grill with my lovey. We're making some grilled chicken for salads-- yummy :bigsmile: Only half an hour left, so I have to run, will check in later!!

Enjoy your workouts!

Jamie

SW 194
  • nolachick
    Options
    hey ladies, yeesterday was crazy and I didnt get home til late. no time for workout and today will most likely be the same. I hope I hope tomorrow goes better and I can get back in it. Can't wait to try BFBM, it's been sitting on my counter long enough.

have a great day.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I love the 30 day shred. I was doing it religiously, and then TOM came along and I did not do it for a week. I am having trouble getting started again. I think you girls are just what I need. I was at level 2 when I stopped, but I am going to start with level one again, starting today. Nice to have a little support !
  • trina33
    trina33 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Haven't logged in for a while and just noticed you are all doing the 30 day shred. I'd love to join you. I bought it with the best of intentions and actually did it for a week. Then I went on vacation and just never started again. It's time to be accountable for my actions, so this is the first time I'm posting anything that other people can see. I've got 30lbs. to lose and I'm ready to start!
  • Lynn1987
    Lynn1987 Posts: 54
    Options
    Count me in!!!!!!!! I just started the 30 day shred today as well! I'm determined to stick with it and hopefully you all can help! :)
  • Lynn1987
    Lynn1987 Posts: 54
    Options
    Count me in if it's not too late that is!
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Hi! Glad to see there's a few new people :bigsmile: Welcome all!

nolachick-- Hope you get that workout in soon, I'm excited to hear a review on BFBM. Sounds like your job is quite consuming of your time, do you mind my asking what it is that you do? I usually try to work out before work because I don't get home until after 6 most nights. I would honestly prefer to work out in the evening since I'm a night owl anyways, but it just doesn't really work with my schedule most nights :/

dmags -- I know where you're coming from regarding TOM, I'm dealing with that now. It makes working out less appealing that it already is some days. I'm sticking with it this time though. Awesome that you were on level 2, does level 1 ever get easier?? lol...I'm starting to think it does not :grumble:

trina33 -- Welcome! It's so easy to get off track with vacations, really hard to get back in the groove of things when returning to the daily grind. We have about the same amount of weight to lose, so we should definitely be able to keep each other accountable :)

Lynn1987 -- It's definitely not too late. This is not a strict thread, more social to keep everyone accountable and to have a place to report to. I'll be reporting my weigh ins on Mondays and you are more than welcome to join me then or to choose a day more convenient for you. It's nice to be able to share experiences with people who are going through the same thing.

Everyone-- Please feel free to share a little about yourself and post all you want here -- you can vent, celebrate or just update us on your day -- whatever you're comfortable with. I'll pretty much update daily.

Well-- my day went pretty well, quick day at work because I was super busy. Me and my fiance went to see the remake of Clash of the Titans (I really enjoyed it, but I think he thought it could have been better). I had some raisinettes at the theatre and we ate appetizers at a local restaurant before going. Stayed within my cals though -- have to treat myself every once in a while :laugh: Ohhh--- and our wedding invitations arrived today--- they're really pretty. That's kind of a motivator in itself.

I did the Shred L1 this morning and it seemed not to be AS hard as the previous days. I am definitely loving the shred and can tell a difference in my energy level in just these few short days. I think its just what I needed --- a good swift kick in the *kitten* :laugh: I would really like to progress to L2 middle of next week. Have another date with the shred in about 9 hours, so I'm going to catch some zzzzz's. Look forward to hearing from everyone soon -- will check in tomorrow!

Night-- Jamie
  • trina33
    trina33 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OK, I woke up this morning thinking "Time to get up and do the Shred." So, I went back to sleep :) I am in my workout clothes now, though, and I intend to get moving just as soon as I get the kids on the bus. I had a great day yesterday --worked out, and stayed within my calories. I plan on going to bed tonight feeling just as good about myself as I did last night. I'll let you know how it goes.......