maybe it's time to be serious... 30 Day Shred anyone?

Options

Replies

• malibootie
    malibootie Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    To those of us who have been struggling with motivation or just energy I pose this: it's Monday. A new week, a fresh start, and we can all be the women we want to be! To those of us who are pushing through even when we hate it I pose this: we are the motivation for others- on this site, in our daily lives, and in our families.

Yes, you will notice I included myself in BOTH of those groups. On any given day we each have the ability to be either of those women. So I say you can choose who you want to be. I want to be a motivator, and by golly, I WILL be!! :flowerforyou:
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    To those of us who have been struggling with motivation or just energy I pose this: it's Monday. A new week, a fresh start, and we can all be the women we want to be! To those of us who are pushing through even when we hate it I pose this: we are the motivation for others- on this site, in our daily lives, and in our families.

Yes, you will notice I included myself in BOTH of those groups. On any given day we each have the ability to be either of those women. So I say you can choose who you want to be. I want to be a motivator, and by golly, I WILL be!! :flowerforyou:

Amen sister! I'm with you on this! I fell off the wagon hard over the weekend and haven't done the shred since Thursday. But, today is the start of a new week and I'm going to do the shred tonight if it kills me! It's really good to have a group to be accountable to and to get support from. Good luck to everyone with this new week!

Cheers,
    Rachel
  • SkyeBows
    SkyeBows Posts: 80
    Options
    Anyone else have a hard time with just level one? Gosh I feel so weak
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Anyone else have a hard time with just level one? Gosh I feel so weak

SkyeBows-- I struggle through L1 everyday. It does get a little easier if you stick with it, but it really makes you feel out of shape to start with. I still do and I'm on Day 8! I'm hoping L2 doesn't get twice as hard :ohwell:
  • BahamaMama85
    BahamaMama85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Is it to late to join? Just joined MFP on Friday. I've had 30 day shred collecting dust on my dresser since xmas! I just committed back to eatting healthy & exercising so I would love to join this group for support & motivation.

A little about me.
    I'm 25 yrs old, live in the Bahamas, been in banking for 6 years. Just graduated with my BA in Finance, starting my MBA this month. I work full time & do school at nights. I'm not married & no kids. But I do have a great DBF & an awesome puppy! I live at home with my parents (as we do in the Bahamas lol) I'm 5'8 & have been struggling with my weight since I came out of highschool. I lost 20lbs on WW last year & still kinda follow some of the guidelines along with counting calories. I have my very firt cruise at the end of June & would like to be a little slimmer for my bikini!!!
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I just wanted to check in after a very long and busy weekend. I'm honestly glad it's over. I have shredded for 8 days straight and plan on hitting L1 hard again in the morning. Only 2 more times at L1, then I'm moving to L2. This mornings shred was tough because my ankle was hurting from all the jumping around and balancing-- much much better this evening though-- I think it was just stiff. Mondays are my weigh in so here it is:

SW: 194
    CW: 191

3 lbs lost in a week = awesome in my book!!! :happy:

malibootie-- Beautifully said!!! :flowerforyou: Whenever I struggle, I'm going to remind myself of that!

Rachel-- Did you get your shred in tonight?

nolachick-- Where are you girl? Let us know how you're doing! We're here to help--- see malibootie's post -- very inspiring!

BahamaMama-- Welcome to the group! It's not strict here so you're definitely not too late, just a place to check in and stay accountable :happy: So, dust off your shred dvd and jump to it.. :laugh: If you want to know anything about me, I posted on the first page. But, I'm also 25 and about the same height with about the same amount of weight to lose! What kind of puppy do you have?

Okay, I'm going to get off here for tonight so I can get some good sleep. Long weekend really has me worn down. Happy Shredding!!

Jamie
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    I took a day off on Sunday to let my body rest from those push-ups. Today I'm back to work. I haven't been eating well at all, but will give it my best effort to stay within my calories today. I think I might need to add some serious cardio, too. I don't think just doing the shred is enough with the garbage I've been eating. Do you guys think the DVD is enough, or do you do extra cardio on those days, too?

I have not been doing extra cardio, but it would likely be very beneficial if you were too. I'm using the shred as a jump off point to get back into exercising and being active. I'm hoping to start running again this spring as long as my knees will let me :grumble:

Jamie
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'll commit to the Shred! Well, level 1 at least. It's all I've got. Besides, I've got a lot of weight to lose; 30 days isn't going to cut it. I'll use Level 1 as a jumpstart for 30 days. Then perhaps I'll buy the other levels. :( Really, really fat! Level 1 is about all I can handle right now; and I'm severely modifying half the moves. But, it's a start! I'm in.

L1D3.

I'll post my measurements at the end too. Maybe I'll see some improvement.

PS: Workout videos are sooooo much better than sitting on a stationary bike for 30 minutes!!
  • MommyofLily
    Options
    Just wanted to check in quick! I did the shred tonight, at 10 pm ugh... (and it almost killed me), but I'm really proud of myself for squeezing it in. Good job to all you ladies doing it too. Welcome to the group funkyspunky and BahamaMama, stick with it and it will get easier. :) Hope you all have a good night. I will post my weigh-in stats when it's been a week.

Rachel
  • AmberRSkelton
    AmberRSkelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started it about 11 or 12 days ago, I've done it everyday except for one. I combine it with Turbo Jam or walking. I'm still doing Level 1, my upper body strength is not good so I have trouble with the push ups...I've always hated push ups!

I'm 32, have 2 kids, thyroid issues, married, and work in a newborn nursery. I'm around 5'9" and 174 lbs, so I really understand the difficulty of trying to find pants. I also carry most of my weight around my abdomen, so I can't wear low rise pants, which makes it next to impossible to find pants, especially scrub pants.
  • BahamaMama85
    BahamaMama85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome guys. Congrats on the 3lbs loss Jamie! I have a 11 month old shi-poo named Shadow.

I did level 1 this morning after my 30 min walk on the tredmill. I felt like I would pass out but I made it through the 20 mins. I also have little upper body strength & hope to build up some more to do more push ups. Hope everyone else is having a great day! :happy:
  • trina33
    trina33 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone who just joined! It's great to have so many people helping to keep us on track. I've decided to add some extra cardio to my plan, so yesterday I ran/walked on the treadmill for about 1/2 hr. in the morning and did the Shred later in the evening. I think that's going to work for me most days. Today a friend and I played tennis for about an hour, which was so much more fun than a treadmill. I'll Shred again tonight.

I'm planning my meals in advance which is helping keep me within my calories. Yesterday was soooo busy around here, with all of the kids having activities in different places, so I put dinner in the crock-pot in the morning and could serve everyone a healthy meal as they got home in shifts. Planning is definitely going to be important as all of the spring sports start and we get busier, and busier.

Keep up the good work!!
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    I'll commit to the Shred! Well, level 1 at least. It's all I've got. Besides, I've got a lot of weight to lose; 30 days isn't going to cut it. I'll use Level 1 as a jumpstart for 30 days. Then perhaps I'll buy the other levels. :( Really, really fat! Level 1 is about all I can handle right now; and I'm severely modifying half the moves. But, it's a start! I'm in.

L1D3.

I'll post my measurements at the end too. Maybe I'll see some improvement.

PS: Workout videos are sooooo much better than sitting on a stationary bike for 30 minutes!!

Hi FunkySpunky! We're glad to have you here! I've been very comitted to the 30 day shred since I started last Monday. If you stick with it you will definitely work your way to the non-modified moves over time :smile: Plus, you'll feel stronger and better each time you complete it! I totally agree about videos over stationary bikes, I like the motivation. Keep checking in with us and letting us know how you're doing :flowerforyou: Oh, and by the way, from what I've heard, all of the Levels in the 30 DS can be modified for beginners, so if you get bored on L1, you may want to check it out.

Jamie
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Just wanted to check in quick! I did the shred tonight, at 10 pm ugh... (and it almost killed me), but I'm really proud of myself for squeezing it in. Good job to all you ladies doing it too. Welcome to the group funkyspunky and BahamaMama, stick with it and it will get easier. :) Hope you all have a good night. I will post my weigh-in stats when it's been a week.

Rachel

Soooo glad you worked it into your schedule! I think doing the shred that late would having me up ALL night though, lol! Hope you're posting a loss after the week is up :drinker: :wink:
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    I started it about 11 or 12 days ago, I've done it everyday except for one. I combine it with Turbo Jam or walking. I'm still doing Level 1, my upper body strength is not good so I have trouble with the push ups...I've always hated push ups!

I'm 32, have 2 kids, thyroid issues, married, and work in a newborn nursery. I'm around 5'9" and 174 lbs, so I really understand the difficulty of trying to find pants. I also carry most of my weight around my abdomen, so I can't wear low rise pants, which makes it next to impossible to find pants, especially scrub pants.

Welcome Amber! Today was day 9 for me on L1 and I'm moving on to L2 on Thursday after 10 days at L1. My upper body strength is also very very poor, and I despise push ups--- but I'm hoping to be able to knock all of them out soon. Think we will all be able to if we stick with it!

There's lots of tall people in this group so we all feel your pain on the pants thing. I've never in my entire life had an easy time finding pants, especially jeans. I carry my weight everywhere, very evenly distributed, but I have really long legs and a short torso...so... I can't wait to rock some sexy skirts this summer with my slimmer figure! hehe...

Jamie
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Bahama Mama and Trina -- It's awesome you guys are adding some extra cardio to your routine. I'm slowly working my way up to that.

Trina-- I LOVE my crockpot! It's a life saver when I plan ahead for busy nights.

Checking In Before Bed-- Shredded this morning even though I really did NOT want to. My ankles were stiff and I was exhausted for some reason. Anyhow, I did it and pushed myself hard and felt friggin great when I was done -- energized and ready to start my day:bigsmile: . I got my instant streaming netflix disc for the wii today, so I'm hoping to see if I can find a "play it now" yoga dvd on there soon. I'm gonna get to bed for tonight as I'm still quite tired. I will have to log the rest of my food from today tomorrow. I'm thinking I should be in a good range though, all good foods today :smile: . Shredding in the morning-- Day 10!!!!

Happy Shredding,

Jamie
  • MommyofLily
    Options
    Just checking in again- I weighed in at 0.2 lb heavier than a week ago... I did the shred 4 times since last Tuesday. I meant to do it last night, but my fiance was doing P90x Plyometrics (which is the suck!) so I decided to try that with him and figured it was somewhat comparable to the shred. We only made it through about 3/4 of the 60 min workout from hell, and because I didn't feel like my arms got any workout, I did 12 min or so of strength training with 5 lb weights.

I'm going to ignore this small gain because I have a lot working against me at the moment. I just finished taking a round of antibiotics for a bladder infection... it's going to be TOM for me any second now... and I have not been sleeping enough at all this past week due to work stress and wedding planning, etc. I also haven't been eating enough calories lately. It's just good motivation for me to take better care of myself and get to bed earlier and try to stop eating dinner so ridiculously late. I don't think doing the shred at 10pm is a good idea either lol. It does get me hyped up and then I have to sit around until I mellow out enough for sleepy time.

I'm starting a new shred week tomorrow since I'm going to yoga late tonight and shouldn't stay up later to do the shred again. My new goal is to get to bed much earlier and get up and do the shred before work. I think it would be a great energy boost and help me rev up my metabolism for the day. I hope everyone else is doing well. Sorry for the long babbling message - just thinking out loud here. Have a great day!

Rachel
  • trina33
    trina33 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Rachel-- That tiny little gain is nothing to beat yourself up about. You're right to ignore it--you've basically maintained for a week and that's just fine.

I've been struggling to do the Shred because my left arm hurt so bad for days. I'm not sure if i was doing push-ups wrong, or hurt it doing something else; but I needed to give it a rest. I've been getting on the treadmill and trying to run and walk instead. I hope to start the Shred again--maybe tonight, and then continue with the treadmill.

Jamie--are you doing level 2 today? I was thinking of giving it a try!
  • Bubbles007
    Options
    Rachel-- I would also ignore the 0.2 lbs, my scale doesn't even measure that precisely. Good for you attempting the P90X Plyo!!!!! I couldn't imagine attempting it right now. If I stick with the 30DS for all 30, I think I am going to "reward" myself with the Insanity workout by Beachbody. We'll see though, I might just do another round of 30DS with heavier weights.

Trina-- I'm sorry to hear you're having shoulder issues. My ankles have been a bit bothersome but usually loosen up once I get going. I did start L2 today and I LOVED it! I really like the moves a lot better than those in L1, and can tell I'm working a lot of muscle groups at one time. I also think it's easier on the knees and ankles. Less up and down sqautting, thank goodness! I would highly recommend doing L2 once your shoulder mends a bit. I'm sure you remember all of the plank exercises, holy plank!!!

Hey All! So, I'm at 11 days in a row! As mentioned above, I started L2 this morning and very much enjoyed it. It's VERY different from L1 in my opinion. I really like the new moves as I feel like there's less stress being put on the knees. The moves are incredibly difficult though and I had to push my way through it. Also had to pause the DVD once to catch my breath. I like seeing the girls struggling with this level also, unlike L1 where it seemed like a cake walk for them. I'm looking forward to doing the full thing through by the end of these 10 days :happy:

Yesterday was one of my days off work, so we went to this new place in town that has fire oven baked pizza and oh my goodness was it delicious. We had one with Coppa (an Italian style ham?) which was probably high in sodium, but the slices were little and had very little cheese. I also had one of the BEST side salads I have ever had in my entire life. It was just called Mixed Greens and had mixed field greens, sliced kalamata olives, diced red onions, diced tomatoes, sliced artichoke hearts, about a tbsp of feta cheese and a very light drizzle of tomato vinagrette dressing. If you're looking for something different, I would HIGHLY recommend trying this! After our fun lunch, we went the golf driving range and whacked some golf balls :laugh: For dinner, I made Pesto Chicken sandwiches!! Yummy-- Let me know if you want the recipe. They're super healthy also. Well, I must run as I have work waiting for me to do it :sad: I hope everyone who has not checked in recently is still doing the Shred-- and look forward to hearing from you!

Jamie
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Today is L1D6 for me! I can really feel a difference in my endurance. I can do the jumping jacks and the the "buttkicks" (at least like Anita) finally! And I can actually do crunches for the entire minute for abs.

Still can't do the modified pushups and the bycicle crunches though. Sometimes instead of the lunges and those sideways lunges, I do more cardio, because my knees do hurt. I have a feeling I'm doing it wrong; I can't get my knee to stop coming forward! (Or at least I think it is coming forward...) But, I'll deal. I think I need more cardio right now, anyways.