Why do you care so much about your health?

Options
Everyone has their own motivations on why they want to lose weight, gain muscle... why they became a personal trainer or joined MFP. I also feel that many times there is an underlying cause for this other than "just to be healthy".

Sounds like a silly question but really, I'm curious.

I'll go first.... I care about my health because I've been in a position before where I didn't have such great health (staph infection from spinal fusion, hospitalized for 2 weeks)... and its made me embrace the 2nd chance I've been given.

I also care because it has been instilled in me since I was much younger to always exercise, eat an apple a day.. etc., and I've noticed a change in my overall happiness and quality of life when I'm nourishing my body and being active vs. sitting inside behind technology and scarfing down a bag of cheetos.

Your turn....

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If I don't take care of me....who will? This is the only body I get. Its getting older, I need to take good care of it!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just wanna look good naked.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just wanna look good naked.

Haha, thats a great reason!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We have a history of diabetes and heart problems in my family. At my last blood test, I was very close to the "you've got diabetes"number. I wanted to fix that. Also, I have a 15 yr old son with special needs. There is no one else to look after him, so I have to look after myself. I was ashamed to say I can't do this, I can't do that because of my weight. He was going to miss out on a lot of fun if I didn't shape up. I'm happy to say I've improved my blood sugar # and my son and I are now enjoying time together at the gym and outside of the gym. And to be honest, when I put on clothes, I want to look good in them someday. I'm not there yet, but every day, I get a little closer.

Those are my reasons. Next person?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    besides wanting to look amazingly awesome while naked, i want to be here to torture my kids in my old age. i changed their diapers, i think its only fair they do the same for me when the time comes.
    on a more serious note, i lost my mother in law and she was way too young (58) due to something preventable...ive seen how its affected her sons and i dont want that for my kids. id rather die from natural old age issues than because i didnt take care of my body when i had the chance.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    besides colon cancer (mother's side) and obesity(dad's side) running in my family, I felt horrible when I still had 50lbs extra on my body. I felt tired, depressed and tried to hide my body from others...
    Now I have more energy, don't get out of breath as easily and my blood pressure stopped (but still slightly high) :)
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I have 3 small kids and need to be around for them for a long time.

I also want to be able to take them to the water park or the lake and not be embarrassed to take my shirt off !!
  • msliu7911
    Options
    We have a history of diabetes and heart problems in my family. At my last blood test, I was very close to the "you've got diabetes"number. I wanted to fix that. Also, I have a 15 yr old son with special needs. There is no one else to look after him, so I have to look after myself. I was ashamed to say I can't do this, I can't do that because of my weight. He was going to miss out on a lot of fun if I didn't shape up. I'm happy to say I've improved my blood sugar # and my son and I are now enjoying time together at the gym and outside of the gym. And to be honest, when I put on clothes, I want to look good in them someday. I'm not there yet, but every day, I get a little closer.

Those are my reasons. Next person?
    Great job on improving your blood sugar #s!!!! Keep it up :) Just remember that because you have a history of diabetes an heart problems does not mean you have to become another case of genetics. Anything that you can do now early on will help to highly minimze the chance that you will be prone to diabetes or heart problems! So many people think that just because it runs in their family that there is no avoiding it... so they let themselves go. Kudos to you for taking a step to stop the pattern and be a great example to your son.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes. Not caring about that can cause a LOT of problems.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    besides wanting to look amazingly awesome while naked, i want to be here to torture my kids in my old age. i changed their diapers, i think its only fair they do the same for me when the time comes.
    on a more serious note, i lost my mother in law and she was way too young (58) due to something preventable...ive seen how its affected her sons and i dont want that for my kids. id rather die from natural old age issues than because i didnt take care of my body when i had the chance.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law :( Happy to hear that in a way its inspired you though. I, too, would like to live as long as possible and die of natural causes.. not preventable things that I did to myself when I was younger.

and I want to look good nakey. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Since I was a little kid I've always been interested in health and fitness - an avid reader of those topics from an early age. I may also be a bit of a hypochondriac, so it's important for me to be as healthy and strong as I can be. In case I ever come down with something major, I want to increase my odds of survival and decrease my recovery time. :laugh:
  • msliu7911
    Options
    besides colon cancer (mother's side) and obesity(dad's side) running in my family, I felt horrible when I still had 50lbs extra on my body. I felt tired, depressed and tried to hide my body from others...
    Now I have more energy, don't get out of breath as easily and my blood pressure stopped (but still slightly high) :)

LOL your blood pressure stopped? jk, I know what you mean. Great job on improving that and on taking proactive measures to improve your health... and somewhat stop the cycle of being predisposed to something and just accepting. :)

I totally get what you mean when you say you were depressed and tired, as well as wanting to hide. Been there, still sligthtly battling but I'm on my way.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I have 3 small kids and need to be around for them for a long time.

I also want to be able to take them to the water park or the lake and not be embarrassed to take my shirt off !!

Don't have children but I can only imagine how things and priorities change once they are in your life. :)

Totally feel you on the waterpark thing!!!!
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Since I was a little kid I've always been interested in health and fitness - an avid reader of those topics from an early age. I may also be a bit of a hypochondriac, so it's important for me to be as healthy and strong as I can be. In case I ever come down with something major, I want to increase my odds of survival and decrease my recovery time. :laugh:

LOL! Prevention and preparation is key!
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My whole life I have been overweight. I'm talking about even when I was a little girl, 5 or 6. I've lived a whole bunch on that side of the coin, now I'd like to see the other side.
    Also, health issues like Diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease run in the family and I know that getting my weight under control will lower the chances of getting any of that.
  • DRHogue
    DRHogue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I care because I have been on both ends of the spectrum. I've been grossly unhealthy and overweight, and I have lived a daily healthy life at my goal weight. I know how each feels and honestly being healthy and active feels so much better mentally and physically than being unhealthy ever did.
    I care because I want to add years to my life not take them away. I care because as much as I fear getting older I realize "failing or declining health" does not have to be a part of aging.
    I care because diabetes is very prominent in my family and I want to do all I can to keep from getting that disease as well.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i just want to feel good over all, not have extra aches and pains on my body due to not taking care of it. i have never been in a weight that was over for my height, but i want to be able to see my nephew grow up, maybe have kids of my own and maybe help inspire others to take care of their bodies as well. you just feel so much better not putting crap in your system, and not having to deal with the health issues that come with a bad lifestyle. i still sit at home and eat my cheetos and oreos sometimes, but it's nice to be active, be able to take the dog on long walks and just feel better overall. oh and look awesome in a bikini or a little black dress
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You know how people used to say to someone who was broke, alone, and miserable, 'well at least you still have your health'? Well I didn't. So now I do. Still broke and alone, but funnily enough, much less miserable.

Also when the world tries to kick me when I'm already down again I'll now be able to kick it back, tie it in a knot, and hurl it to Pluto. That'll teach it!
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents are over weight and have high blood pressure. My father had a heart attack a few years ago. At 35 yrs old I had dangerously high blood pressure. With a teenage son I wanted to be here for a long time and be part of his life. I was also starting to get into a pattern of not being able to do anything because I didn't have the energy. My marriage was ok but I think my husband wanted me to be more active. I was to young to feel that way.
    Last year I went to New York with my son and we walked for an entire day around town. It was a great feeling. I love the energy I have now. I don't feel that there is anything I can't do if I want.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I care because I have been on both ends of the spectrum. I've been grossly unhealthy and overweight, and I have lived a daily healthy life at my goal weight. I know how each feels and honestly being healthy and active feels so much better mentally and physically than being unhealthy ever did.
    I care because I want to add years to my life not take them away. I care because as much as I fear getting older I realize "failing or declining health" does not have to be a part of aging.
    I care because diabetes is very prominent in my family and I want to do all I can to keep from getting that disease as well.

Where you say "I know how each feels and honestly being healthy and active feels so much better mentally and physically than being unhealthy ever did."

Competely know where you are coming from.