Why do you care so much about your health?

Options

Replies

• alexandrastaines
    Options
    My mum's been big all my life, and she's had a lot of downs with her health...tbh, it sounds bad. But I just don't want to turn out like her for my kids when I'm older. By getting healthy, I also want to motivate her and show that if you put in the hard yards...good things will happen!

I also want to look good naked!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Because I have 4 children and I want to be around for them. I like looking good in skinny jeans and feeling sexy again. And I want to be a hot grandmother someday!
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me I have got to the point where I have peripheral vascular disease. I genetically was blessed with crappy veins and I have sat on my rear for the last 3 years in graduate school. Knowing just enough about this pathology, I am scared to death! I do not want to end up as an amputee or die early. So I am FINALLY doing something about it. AND the very best thing that I can do for this condition is to exercise!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being alive.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I have three reasons:

1. My son

2. My daughter

3. My wife
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I want him to beg for mercy.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The women in my family actually tend to live long lives, but some of them have not been very healthy. If I am lucky enough to live as long as they did, I want my years to be healthy ones, so I'm taking care of myself now. The men in my family do not live long lives, and I want to prevent the heart disease that has ended their lives early. I also want to be around long enough to enjoy any grandchildren my son gives me, and being healthy enough to enjoy them will be wonderful.
  • mintywank
    Options
    Having had type 1 diabetes since I was 8 years old (I'm now 20), keeping a steady low sugar and low GI diet coupled with regular exercise is the only true way to keep my health in check. it sure makes diabetic life a hell of a lot easier, and helps my figure too!
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    1. Father was obese and died of heart disease at 46.
    2. His Dad was obese and died in his early 50s.
    3. Want to see my five year old grow up, and get to know the man I'm raising.
    4. Love my wife, and don't want to leave her any earlier than I absolutely have to.
    5. After being super obese, lookin pretty good nekkid, ain't a bad thing! :drinker:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 60. I miss a day of work due to illness about once every 3 years. I don't know I have a back, a stomach, knees, etc. because they just do their thing without bothering me. I'm not on any prescriptions. Part of it is good genes and part of it is work and I want to feel this way for a very long time.

And yeah, I want to look good naked!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    ONE REASON!

I respect myself!
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    besides colon cancer (mother's side) and obesity(dad's side) running in my family, I felt horrible when I still had 50lbs extra on my body. I felt tired, depressed and tried to hide my body from others...
    Now I have more energy, don't get out of breath as easily and my blood pressure stopped (but still slightly high) :)

LOL your blood pressure stopped? jk, I know what you mean. Great job on improving that and on taking proactive measures to improve your health... and somewhat stop the cycle of being predisposed to something and just accepting. :)

I totally get what you mean when you say you were depressed and tired, as well as wanting to hide. Been there, still sligthtly battling but I'm on my way.

haha, geez where was my mind? I'm still alive, it only dropped haha
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm just not ready to get old yet
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I feel and look better

I play with my kids more
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Let's see....
    November 2006-my mom passed away and she was really obese and had heart disease
    March 2007-gal bladder removed and they thought I had diabetes...
    December 2009-liver problems
    January 2010-heaviest weight ever of 346.6
    February 2010-liver biopsy done
    March 2010-weight loss journey started
    June 2010-first time registered on a scale at 330.6
    June 2010-same day I fell and hurt my knee real bad...sad had to lose weight to help it but they were both bone on bone due to my weight...
    August 2010-stomach flu and an ovarian cyst found
    October 2010-down 60 so far
    January 2011-ovarian cyst had to be removed due to possibility of cancer
    March 2011-down to 238 by my bday
    June 2011-down to 205 and started the gym
    August 2011-down to 185
    December 2011-down to 165
    ...as I found out on here, starvation mode for about a year but lowest was 153.7 but not eating much...
    January 2013-joined my fitness pal at 157.6
    February 2013-148.4 right now
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just going to be honest. I've always had a beautiful, fit body and always taken steps to maintain that. This was the next logical step, as I am getting older (ever-so-slightly) and I want to maintain my fitness, for life, with ease. Health is beauty (and happiness), so I take care of my health and enjoy it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My mom is 58 and falling apart at the seams. I do not have a genetic ace-in-the-hole. Her life is limited by the barrage of medical issues she has. NO THANK YOU.
  • ohkaynow
    ohkaynow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's great to be able to change your reality! You can make yourself weigh less, be more flexible, pick up things you couldn't...being healthy changes the way you interact with the world. When I was a kid I was pretty overweight and I never knew how to change it...it seemed like destiny for me, and made me very depressed. I lost most of the weight over the last 9 years, and it completely changed how I felt about myself and my body. I've seen a lot of my friends go the other way and settle into their office jobs and adopt a sedentary lifestyle...it is very obvious that they aren't happy about it. I want to keep on gaining muscle and feeling better about how I interact with the world.

Also, it is really nice to go into a store and just grab things in a size small/extra-small. When I was 15 I would have never even imagined being a small, I was definitely in the XL category. :) Ahhh, it's also nice to be able to buy cute bras instead of the function-over-appearance DD bras, too!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a few reasons.

1) I've been on the side of the very sick - twice. 2 mediva'c flights, 2 ICU stays, 2 different worries about my not coming home. Once was my heart (at 17 years old) once was just my body shutting down and a pretty serious case of sepsis. I will do whatever I can to never be in those positions again, even though there was really nothing that I could have done to prevent them in the frist place.

2) I have 3 kids that I need to be here for, for a long long time. And I want them to see a mom that is active, healthy and happy, and I want them to learn good eating habits by example.

3) I have Cealic disease. Undiagnosed for over 10 years. 10 years of tests, mal-absorbtion problems and generally feeling like crap before exploding into something pretty horrible at the end. Now that its diagnosed, and my body is starting to work the way it should work, I want to see what it can do. I will be as fit as possible, I will be as active as possible, and I will feed my body the way it needs to be fed to get there.
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    My health is like my money. Although you can only spend it once. I wanted to become healthier because I was tired of my old life and tired of the ridicule I would get from people. Although I mostly did it for myself. I also became a CPT to help others accomplished what I did.