are there any good butt exercise i can do with dumbells?

Options
And what weight?

I used 1.5 in each hand today whilst squatting and noticed a difference. But any better exercises and what weight should i.build up to? Im 5ft4 170.

Replies

• calisunrise
    Options
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thankyou :)

Do you feel the burn in your bum? Im doing them right, according to the fitness trainer at gym, but without weight it just hurts my shins, and with my thighs. Never bum. Unless im doing something wrong theyre not picking up on?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Squats are the best. There's no weight limit. I am currently at 14lbs in each hand.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    while doing squats, you have to put your bodyweight on your heels and really squeeze your butt as you come up :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • ThinAgain46
    Options
    Donkey kicks are great too - but don't use dumbells.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    a trainer recently had me do somthing like this with a bicep curl on each time going down.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5itfKlOxgWTX-wLML4-2wLA8IqjJZYd-CbKwGD2mXBkOPvzk2
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much do all the same things with dumbbells as you can with barbells, especially when you are first starting out. As you get stronger, the dumbbells get very big and awkward, so it helps to move on to barbells for some things ((such as deadlifts).

You can do, deadlifts, lunges, squats, step ups, split squats, bulgarian split squats.

I would suggest using heavier dumbbells. As heavy as you can lift and still do the exercises with good form and without injury. I started off with 15 pound dumbbells for some things and moved up to 30 pounds in each hand, then they started getting bulky at 35 pounds and I moved on to using the barbell for more stuff. But, I still use the dumbbells as often as I can. I just like using dumbbells and being able to hold the weight in each hand and it also uses a lot of the stabilizing muscles. My gym just has one squat rack. So, I use dumbbells when I can and use the squat rack for the things I need it for.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

With dumbbells, yes
    With 1.5 pound dumbbells, no.

If you want to do something effective you're going to have to use equipment that weighs more than your iphone.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you can try the no-hands dumbbell squat. just hold the dumbbell between your cheeks and do 20 reps or more of squats. remember 20 or more; never less, because you want to tone that tushy, not bulk that butt.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options

With dumbbells, yes

If you want to do something effective you're going to have to use equipment that weighs more than your iphone.

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^ Get 2 20lb dumbbells and google Bulgarian split squats.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    BUMP, would like to know as well
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

The video looks interesting but OH MY GOD she just doesn't shut up!!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    i actually prefer doing straight legged deads with dumb bells as opposed to the bar. It def targets the butt like no other!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much do all the same things with dumbbells as you can with barbells, especially when you are first starting out. As you get stronger, the dumbbells get very big and awkward, so it helps to move on to barbells for some things ((such as deadlifts).

You can do, deadlifts, lunges, squats, step ups, split squats, bulgarian split squats.

I would suggest using heavier dumbbells. As heavy as you can lift and still do the exercises with good form and without injury. I started off with 15 pound dumbbells for some things and moved up to 30 pounds in each hand, then they started getting bulky at 35 pounds and I moved on to using the barbell for more stuff. But, I still use the dumbbells as often as I can. I just like using dumbbells and being able to hold the weight in each hand and it also uses a lot of the stabilizing muscles. My gym just has one squat rack. So, I use dumbbells when I can and use the squat rack for the things I need it for.
    this this this. I'm also a fan of dumbbells. They're useful lil tools. I also highly recommend staying away from the tiny ones that are lighter then your purse. I also suggest starting with something in the range of what the above poster said. Depending on what moves you are doing, of course. I'm also a fan of deadlifts, squats, lunges, etc.
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

With dumbbells, yes

If you want to do something effective you're going t

o have to use equipment that weighs more than your iphone.

It was 1.5 kilo each hand. Not lbs. To me, it felt heavy lifting above my head. Ive never used any weights before so want to build up and not dive into something that might result in me injuring myself.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some good moves in her videos...one legged squats...stork stance (while doing rows)...statue of liberty...I'm sure you can find instructions online.

And like some other members commented...use heavier weights...at least 8s! Good luck!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    up it to about 5 or 7.5s and do lunges, squats, step up lunges and stuff like that.

also one where this no weights involved, is put a stool behind you, then squat down til your butt barely hits the stool and then use your legs to come up! check out Tony Horton's One on One "Bun Shaper" video..its actually such a good workout!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

With dumbbells, yes

If you want to do something effective you're going t

o have to use equipment that weighs more than your iphone.

It was 1.5 kilo each hand. Not lbs. To me, it felt heavy lifting above my head. Ive never used any weights before so want to build up and not dive into something that might result in me injuring myself.
    As a weakling with a bad spine who is obsessed with form, I have faith in you lifting more then my hair dryer. But I know what you mean, I thought the same thing. I started with 5s one day, 7 thee next, 10 the next 12 the next and since I was doing a high movement high rep workout. I decided that 12s should have been my starting point for what I'm doing...though I could have done 15s. And I'm the weakest person I know. Everyone who I convinced to join I started with 7.5 lbs so they wouldn't hurt themselves and they all thought they were weak and they always come to me later saying they should have started with higher..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats with 1.5lb dumbbells should do the trick.