are there any good butt exercise i can do with dumbells?

Options

Replies

• michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

With dumbbells, yes
    With 1.5 pound dumbbells, no.

If you want to do something effective you're going t

o have to use equipment that weighs more than your iphone.

It was 1.5 kilo each hand. Not lbs. To me, it felt heavy lifting above my head. Ive never used any weights before so want to build up and not dive into something that might result in me injuring myself.
    As a weakling with a bad spine who is obsessed with form, I have faith in you lifting more then my hair dryer. But I know what you mean, I thought the same thing.

Is that how light it is? I can lift a hair dryer no problem lol!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5s with dumbbells.

I currently squat 120 lbs (60 lbs each) 5x5 DB squats.

Also recommend Bulgarian split squats.

ETA: I started out at 40 lbs (20 lbs each) 2 and a half months ago.

1.5 kg isn't gonna cut it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats with 1.5lb dumbbells should do the trick.

That is evil! :bigsmile:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Pistol squats with 1.5lb dumbbells should do the trick.

I had more success with 1lb weights.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

With dumbbells, yes
    With 1.5 pound dumbbells, no.

If you want to do something effective you're going t

o have to use equipment that weighs more than your iphone.

It was 1.5 kilo each hand. Not lbs. To me, it felt heavy lifting above my head. Ive never used any weights before so want to build up and not dive into something that might result in me injuring myself.
    As a weakling with a bad spine who is obsessed with form, I have faith in you lifting more then my hair dryer. But I know what you mean, I thought the same thing.

Is that how light it is? I can lift a hair dryer no problem lol!
    lol Yep.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    you can try the no-hands dumbbell squat. just hold the dumbbell between your cheeks and do 20 reps or more of squats. remember 20 or more; never less, because you want to tone that tushy, not bulk that butt.

833.gif
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like every other woman I know, your purse weighs more than that!

No reason you can't get a good butt workout with body weight exercises though, blogilates.com has some great ones.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5s with dumbbells.

I currently squat 120 lbs (60 lbs each) 5x5 DB squats.

Also recommend Bulgarian split squats.

ETA: I started out at 40 lbs (20 lbs each) 2 and a half months ago.

1.5 kg isn't gonna cut it.
    And in case the OP doesn't know stronglifts insists you start with light weights which consists of just an empty Olympic bar with no weights on it...which weighs 35lbs for the womens, 45 for the mens. I would assume many gyms do not have both and just have the mens version. I handed 40lbs to my sedentary over weight menopausal mom and (with effort) she put it up over her head...If she can do it you can.

Also I'm just reading stronglifts 5x5 now, from what I've read and seen in the youtube videos, it's a nice start.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    Ahh well my bad... I just bought the set since a friend reccommended. Im having a look online now for 10kg pair for home, anything bigger i can use at gym.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Google the butt bible.....she is amazing.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    If you're anything like every other woman I know, your purse weighs more than that!

No reason you can't get a good butt workout with body weight exercises though, blogilates.com has some great ones.

This is what i got the 1.5kg for, blogilates. I love her stuff
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Ahh well my bad... I just bought the set since a friend reccommended. Im having a look online now for 10kg pair for home, anything bigger i can use at gym.
    Woo! I'm glad you believe us. I fell victim of that too. It's advertising. It tries to convince you you well get bulky if you lift more then half a grocery bag. You don't get bulky by lifting heavy weights, that's more to do with extra food surplus + weight lifted. Women everywhere are buying those useless dumbbell sets to later hide in their closets lol. Therre's many on this site that are a great inspiration showing you can be a slim strong feminine girly.

Not on this site but this girl can lift 420lbs and she is lifting hard and eating like a monster to do that I'm sure:
    SPwNtEilECsTRrmwcDVtQiQKBJwVVAPFYDAWe.jpg
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/news-and-features/athletes-and-celebrities/17-time-world-champion-powerlifter-barbie-barbell
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    That is impressive! And yes, I definatlye take your guys word for it :)

Does this seem ok value for home use http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3028302.htm#pdpProductReviews
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It warms the cockles of my heart when a thread comes together like this. Good luck to you, OP
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I squat with a 20 lb dumbell. Will be going up to 25 in a couple of weeks. I do regular squats, and I do sumo squats to work the inner thighs.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 56 yrs old. I also bought a set of adjustable dumbells that went up to 20kg. (45lbs) Started low but had worked through those weights within two weeks. I then bought a barbell and additional weight plates and started Stronglifts 5 x 5. Within 3 weeks I am squatting 38kg (84lbs) and deadlifting 45.5kg(100 lbs).

Come on, your 21 years old. lift some heavy *kitten* and put it down again, THEN you will work your butt.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    Honestly, this is the first time I've ever been told I can do this, even at gym, they guys have all been like "oh hunni, try these 1kg, 0.5kg ect" so it never even crossed my mind

I'm excited though :)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this is the first time I've ever been told I can do this, even at gym, they guys have all been like "oh hunni, try these 1kg, 0.5kg ect" so it never even crossed my mind

I'm excited though :)

GIRL I am excited for you. There is a distinct feeling of empowerment when you finally realize everyone who told you that is full of dookie. You're going to impress yourself (and those guys at the gym), too- when you finally get rid of the shackles, women have pretty powerful lower body strength.