bumpity bump bump
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great information, which has helped me realise that for the past two days I haven't even reached my BMR of 1960 calories.

Yesterday - 1680cals (goal is 2272cals a day), and I burnt off 614cals through exercise.
    Today (so far) - 1031cals (goal is 2272cals a day), and I have burnt off 812cals through exercise).

It's no wonder I have trouble with sleep, never want to do much (I'm the world's biggest procrastinator) and haven't been making much progress losing weight (I've been doing it not very successfully for a year or two now) when I don't even give my body what it needs and deserves.
  • IUgal44
    Options
    Hey Banks, I enjoyed your post about the calorie intake, it was very insightful. My questions is I read you went from 270 to 199... I started at about 240 and then lost 6 lbs really quick but now have lagged there forever. currently MFP has my daily calorie intake of 1250. Is there any advice you can give me to kick start this thing?
  • cjtx2
    cjtx2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump Again.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    Wait a sec... my calorie goal is 1200, but my BMR is 1400. What should I do in this case?
  • aguyatt
    Options
    I'm confused, are you saying that eating more food is the way to lose weight, even if I don't exercise? My BMI is overweight and I want to lose 2lbs a week, so I'm on the 1200 cal thing, but my BMR is 1,624 calories/day, does that mean I need to eat that many a day? And then apparenty my maintenance calories is 1850 calories a day... so do I need to eat 850 cal a day to lose weight? I've never counted calories before and this is so confusing for me. I thought the way to lose weight was to eat less.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm saying you can't just choose a weight loss amount and go, you have to examine your body, your individual statistics and make an informed decision on whether your body can support the weight loss amount that you want. If you aren't obese then 2 lbs a week is probably to much to expect. It's all about body fat %, if you don't have the available fat stores, then you can't lose fat in large amounts.

As to your BMR, no, the BMR is what your body needs internally to function, it does NOT include daily activity, basically just organ and metabolic needs. BMR plus daily activity plus exercise is your total daily energy expendature (TDEE, it's what you need to maintain your current weight) You take your TDEE and subtract an amount based on your individual statistics to get your deficit.

here, I created a basic guide a while back, it should help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hey Banks, I enjoyed your post about the calorie intake, it was very insightful. My questions is I read you went from 270 to 199... I started at about 240 and then lost 6 lbs really quick but now have lagged there forever. currently MFP has my daily calorie intake of 1250. Is there any advice you can give me to kick start this thing?

I didn't go from 270 to 199, I went from about 240 to about 175 (now 182 and holding for about 3 years)

anyway, you must expect initial weight loss to be greater, as your body adjusts. But see my post above about it being all about body fat %. Also check out the link to the guide for more details. If you're really stuck, (this goes for anyone, I'm happy to help) PM me and I'll ask more pointed and useful questions individually of you.