Eating clean and butter

Options
hi

i have been on gracious pantry looking at the list of foods and cant see butter anywhere? is it allowed if the butter is unsalted and organic? i would only use about a teaspoon a day for my veggies ( i like to make flavoured butters) thanks

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Are you doing clean eating or paleo? I don't think paleo allows it but I think you can still use it for clean eating.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    clean eating
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    clean eating
    Then I think it's fine. Try Kerrygold butter. It's from grass fed cows.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    unsalted

Look at the ingredients. I'd personally rather have some butter made of only cream and salt vs. unsalted butter with tons of ingredients.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    unsalted

Look at the ingredients. I'd personally rather have some butter made of only cream and salt vs. unsalted butter with tons of ingredients.

oh i never knew this - off to have a look just now
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    clean eating

great thanks
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    unsalted

Unsalted doesn't have tons of ingredients, it actually has 1 less than salted.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Butter should have a maximum of 2 ingredients, and only 1 ingredient if it is unsalted.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    clean eating

I wonder how they get away with that? Cattle will be grazed in the summer, probably fed silage (which is made of gass, obviously) in the winter, but I can't see them getting no cake whatsoever.
  • WBB55
    Options
    unsalted

That's why I said check the label. Some of them DO have tons of ingredients.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    unsalted

Those aren't butter then. I've never seen anything marked as "butter" that had a "ton of ingredients." Margarine does, but not butter. What brand are you looking at, WBB55?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Substitute for olive oil?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    clean eating

I wonder how they get away with that? Cattle will be grazed in the summer, probably fed silage (which is made of gass, obviously) in the winter, but I can't see them getting no cake whatsoever.
    There's certifications for 100% grass fed and differ quite a bit from conventional feeding. The USDA require a minimum of 120 days of pasture grazed to qualify, other require all pasture, so it is confusing for sure. I consume organic grass fed cow butter at 10.00 a lb, but it is good and has a better nutritional profile in omega-3 fats, vitamin E, beta-carotene, and CLA and generally speaking here in Canada is from small family type dairies where they practice sustainable farming techniques, which I support.
  • WBB55
    Options
    For instance Land O Lakes:
    Ingredients: Sweet Cream, Natural Flavoring

Just a reminder that this was a topic about "clean" eating. Which means different things to different people. "Natural" flavorings aren't necessarily considered "clean" by some people. That's the only reason I brought up checking out the label. In no way did I mean to insult people's butter.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    clean eating

Hay?
  • WBB55
    Options
    Here's a list of what those "natural" ingredients are. Again. Just to emphasize the idea of "clean" eating differs from person to person. I'm not trying to stop ANYONE from eating unsalted butter. I eat it myself. But I don't consider my diet "clean," either.

diacetyl, acetaldehyde, ethyl formate, ethyl acetate, acetone, ethyl alcohol, 2-butanone, acetic acid and acetoin

Edit to add: Of course, it depends on the butter. Some unsalted butters use MSG as the "natural flavor." YMMV.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    Substitute for olive oil?

i plan on using olive oil - its more a taste thing for a change when eating my veggies etc
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of what those "natural" ingredients are. Again. Just to emphasize the idea of "clean" eating differs from person to person. I'm not trying to stop ANYONE from eating unsalted butter. I eat it myself. But I don't consider my diet "clean," either.

diacetyl, acetaldehyde, ethyl formate, ethyl acetate, acetone, ethyl alcohol, 2-butanone, acetic acid and acetoin

I just checked my package of unsalted butter (I bake), and the ingredient is cream. That's it.

Although I do agree, "clean eating" differs from person to person. There is no set rules on what you can and can't eat.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    unsalted

Educate yourself for the legal definition of butter. Butter is a food product, which is made exclusively from milk, cream or both, with or without common salt, and containing at least 80 percent milkfat by weigh. That's it.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004470
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I LOVE butter too.. Try I can't believe it's not butter spray. The flavor without the guilt!