what is it with peanut butter?

Options
i see a lot of people talking and posting about it on here, i thought it was bad for you?

am i missing out on something here.. should i start eating it? lol

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's healthy - like anything eaten in moderation. It's a very clean food if you buy the right brand, it should contain only peanuts and salt. High protein and fat, good on toast, pancakes and it has a natural sweetness without containing any sugars. It's good for people who find it hard to get to their daily intake as 1 tablespoon is around 100 calories.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Your kidding right? It is high in fat and really packs a good punch in calories.

However, it is one of the best things you can eat. Very good fats, protien a whole lot of stuff.

Eat it................Not a whole jar put eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Its important to get the one with no added sugar or salt...normally found in wholefood shops not just the standard supermarket one.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    It's absolutely delicious and as mentioned contains good fats (primarily mono and polyunsaturated), which are a necessary for health (good for skin, lots of vitamins are fat soluble, good fats improve blood cholesterol, etc). Peanuts also have a fair number of other nutrients and are a source, albeit a low one, of protein.

I adore smucker's natural creamy peanut butter. I could eat half a jar in a sitting and, unfortunately, have.... my main issue with peanut butter is that it's so freakin tasty that I have a hard time limiting myself to reasonable portions. But it's awesome mixed with greek yogurt or in smoothies or on bananas, or in curries or with soba noodles...
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    Creamy is WAY better then chunky. :smile:
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    Its important to get the one with no added sugar or salt...normally found in wholefood shops not just the standard supermarket one.

Are there good brands that can be found in some supermarkets?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Are there good brands that can be found in some supermarkets?

My favorite, the smucker's natural creamy, contains nothing but peanuts and around 100mg of sodium per serving. They also make a salt-free variant. You can find it in basically any grocery store, which is part of why I like it.
  • turtlefitnessdad
    Options
    We have planters, i will have to check and see if it has added suger. How do i tell?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a lot of posts over this, it is good, in moderation, ha, same with everything else.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    here in Australia we can get Kraft Whipped Peanut Butter - weight & calories still the same, but because it is whipped is spreads further. I usually have 15g (about a heaped teaspoonful) and dip celery sticks into it - get lots of crunch and that delicious peanut flavour - think I'll go have some right now! :laugh:

I believe there are no "bad" foods - just too much of a good thing.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, it's got protein and good fats plus an easy way of cleanly hitting your calorie goals.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It's healthy

IF you don't have an anaphalactic reaction to it. Otherwise, even trace amounts can kill you.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It's only bad if ur getting the heart attack in ajar kind aka the one with hydrogenated oils. Get a natural or organic kind & ur all good
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    A) it's delicious.

B) it's fantastic.

C) what's not to love about delicious, fantastic peanut butter?

I eat it by the spoon, on my fruit, on my bread or toast, in my crackers, etc. I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Buy some unsalted peanuts & get them into a blender....... instant CLEAN peanut butter. Forget the store stuff.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter the same way some love chocolate...I eat it by the spoonful straight from the jar, YUMMY! Have just ordered a kg pot of it and some almond butter from a UK website, cannot wait until they arrive...

No food is BAD for you, if you are eating right (not overeating anything) and what you eat fits your macros and your calorie allowance for the day.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    All those Aussies in the know out there - I always buy Kraft PB. Are there better options that are easy to get? Or is Kraft fine?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yes it is very high in calories and i love it thats why it's banned in my house if it comes in its gone within a week!! LOL :blushing:

also its very good for the protein intake!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I eat almond butter. EVERYDAY. yup amazing. just so happens to be a little healthy
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When i heard it is what they feed to people with eating disorders i.e. anorexics in order to increase weight quickly, that was enough to put me off the stuff!!!