super hungry if I eat breakfast

Options
124»

Replies

• bgalindo5
    bgalindo5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In a recent study, that women who skipped breakfast ate more calories during the rest of the day and also had higher fasting levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and total cholesterol compared with the women in the breakfast-eating group. The researchers noted that skipping breakfast could lead to weight gain if the higher calorie intake was sustained. The bottom line to breakfast is to consider breakfast as an ideal opportunity to fit in some of those smart foods we should get several servings of every day, like fruit, whole grains, and low-fat dairy. (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56254&page=2)

Although some people might not find that timed eating & metabolism are linked together, I find that for myself it works.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i think the main thing to think about is: if you skip a meal are you so ravenous that you overeat at the next meal?

and of course people who eat most of the calories at the end the day would lose the least amount of weight. We dont burn much sleeping in our beds. We also dont pee much while sleeping which is why meds at night would be most effective. Sometimes i have to wonder about these "studies" LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i think the main thing to think about is: if you skip a meal are you so ravenous that you overeat at the next meal?

and of course people who eat most of the calories at the end the day would lose the least amount of weight. We dont burn much sleeping in our beds. We also dont pee much while sleeping which is why meds at night would be most effective. Sometimes i have to wonder about these "studies" LOL

Hmmmm I eat most of my calories at the end of the day (post workout) and have somehow lost 3% body fat....

No one is saying that your largest meal should be before you go to bed.

I think that everyone agrees that hte post work our period is when your body is primed to receive proteins/carbs/fats yes? So if you work out in the evening why would you not have your largest meal post workout?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In a recent study, that women who skipped breakfast ate more calories during the rest of the day and also had higher fasting levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and total cholesterol compared with the women in the breakfast-eating group. The researchers noted that skipping breakfast could lead to weight gain if the higher calorie intake was sustained. The bottom line to breakfast is to consider breakfast as an ideal opportunity to fit in some of those smart foods we should get several servings of every day, like fruit, whole grains, and low-fat dairy. (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56254&page=2)

Although some people might not find that timed eating & metabolism are linked together, I find that for myself it works.

they do not link you to the actual study. This is just an article on WEB MD. Are these woman already dieting or are these pepole that do not diet? What is their activity level? If you just took a study of obese people who skippped breakfast then I am sure they would over eat during the day.

I always skip breakfast and I usually come within +/- 100 caloris of what my daily goal is...
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I ate wheat for breakfast, it was the wheat that increased the appetite all day long. Compulsive hunger.
    I think that is why people on no carbs and climbing the wall for a change.
    Even whole grain wheat is not what our forefathers ate. It has been altered too much.
    You never heard about gluten intolerance in years past. I think it is that the wheat has changed.
    There is a movie/book? out Wheat Belly.
  • tino124
    Options
    I want to smack anyone who posts **** about "kick-starting" or "revving up" your metabolism with a stack of research papers showing that they are just parroting the same mindless bull**** they read somewhere else.

There is nothing inherently good about "breakfast". NOTHING. There is nothing bad about breakfast either.

It is simply hitting your macros in whatever way works best for you. For many of us (mostly fit people, hmm) this involves skipping breakfast all together.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I want to smack anyone who posts **** about "kick-starting" or "revving up" your metabolism with a stack of research papers showing that they are just parroting the same mindless bull**** they read somewhere else.

There is nothing inherently good about "breakfast". NOTHING. There is nothing bad about breakfast either.

It is simply hitting your macros in whatever way works best for you. For many of us (mostly fit people, hmm) this involves skipping breakfast all together.

amen brother!

Everytime I see that breakfast "revs up the metabolism" crap I want to screeeeeaaaaam!!!!!
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I have literally never in my life eaten breakfast, unless its a "brunch" on rare weekends. Listen to your body. I read on here once someone saying something along the lines of "I think of my stomach as a sleeping beast, why wake it?" If I eat breakfast at 8:00 AM I am starving ALL DAY. I tried to start eating breakfast because of the whole "starting your metabolism" thing, and I just THOUGHT it was the best thing because it does work for most people. I actually gained weight when I did that. I'm also a night eater. Now, I just eat "breakfast" at noon, dinner when I get off work at 5:00 and a small something (something one would normally eat for breakfast like oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, etc) around 8:30. It works a lot better for me. I've learned this whole lifestyle is a lot of trial and error.
    thanks to yours and all the quotes...I did not used to eat breakfast but for unclear reasons started. I can just as well stop because it is extra work with trying to get out of the house on time with 3 small ones. thanks
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    this is just wrong on so many levels...

Meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. You do not need to "snack" or "graze" or whatever they call it. My larget meal is post work out which is usually night or evening. I have been doing this for five months and lost three percent body fat. Also, if you eat a high protein meal later in the evening your body is still breaking that protein down about four hours later and guess what, this actually increases your metabolism becase your body works harder to break down protein.
    as for the high protein high car bcomments for breakfast..

when I was eating breakfast I was housing down one to to servings of oatmeal AND four eggs and four egg whites and was still starving by 10:30....maybe it is just me but that did not work for me...

I think we have the same exact body types. Everything you have explained on this board is just about the exact same experience I have had with eating and now what times I have changed to eat between. As well as my largest meal of the day (the post workout meal)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    You have to eat regular snacks as well as meals....my schedule is like this...7am eat breakfast....generally around 430 calories....eat something hearty like oatmeal....add fruit as well....then by 10 or 10:30 I have a snack....fruit or almonds....then 12 is lunch...about 300-350 calories....then around 2 I have a small snack and then sometimes again at 3 or 4....2 small snacks spread out since there is a bigger gap for me between lunch and supper....then supper is around 6 and is generally around 300-350 calories....then sometimes a snack around 7:30ish....I used to NEVER eat past 7 but if I am going to bed more than 2 hours after the snack, that is how I guage it....

It depends on how many calories you are allowing yourself per day as well....and make sure you are eating enough calories....

This. I usually space out my meals and time them correctly. I eat a slice of toast with peanut butter and have my coffee before my workout. Get to work, have a yogurt at around 7:30. 10:00 I have some cheese and crackers. Lunch is 12:00-1:00PM.

I don't typically go over on calories during the day and don't feel ravenous either.

Skipping breakfast doesn't really seem like the answer but...to each their own.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You have to eat regular snacks as well as meals....my schedule is like this...7am eat breakfast....generally around 430 calories....eat something hearty like oatmeal....add fruit as well....then by 10 or 10:30 I have a snack....fruit or almonds....then 12 is lunch...about 300-350 calories....then around 2 I have a small snack and then sometimes again at 3 or 4....2 small snacks spread out since there is a bigger gap for me between lunch and supper....then supper is around 6 and is generally around 300-350 calories....then sometimes a snack around 7:30ish....I used to NEVER eat past 7 but if I am going to bed more than 2 hours after the snack, that is how I guage it....

It depends on how many calories you are allowing yourself per day as well....and make sure you are eating enough calories....

From reading posts you have to feel better that you are not alone lol. But I had the same problem until I had an "aha" moment and starting snacking between meals. I usually snack every 2 hours between meals. And it keeps me from going insane hungry my next meal. And my snacks are fruits, granola or nuts or yogurt.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    i used to have this problem. I would eat like 500 to 700 calorie breakfast and be starving by ten.

Now I do leangains 18/6 and skip breakfast and do not eat first meal till like 12:30/1:00 pm and I make it just fine.

I think it has something to do with a certain hormone that eating breakfast releases...check it out on leangains...

You might want to give IF a shot..
    Same here. I used to eat a huge breakfast, and I got so hungry a couple of hours later and it would trigger me to eat more and more, but when I started ESE and cut out breakfast, I was not as hungry, and I had more energy! Go figure, but cutting out breakfast works!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Recently I've gone the other way ... I was happy for a long time to skip breakfast/meal 1/whatever and I could kick on through to lunch powered on not much more than coffee and a splodge of cream. But lately my body has been telling me it needs more fuel so I've chucked some protein down my neck first up and feel better for it.

I think it really is all about being tuned into what your body wants and being able to adjust.