Are you a horder or a thrower-a-wayer?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    This is awful but I have to get rid of stuff at other people's houses! We don't have trash pick up because my husband just takes our kitchen trash into his work and throws it in the dumpster. If I try and throw out something in a black trash bag he'll pick through it and pull out all kinds of useless junk! So I take stuff to my MIL's house or send it home with my parents for them to throw out when they visit. LOL!

Lisa, you know that your MIL goes through it and saves everything, right? You'll get to throw it away agian when they die. Win/win?

LOL! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Throw-awayer here. I live with a person who has hoarding tendencies (when I moved in, the basement, though small, was filled floor to ceiling with boxes). It's just ridiculous to me that thirty years of Gourmet magazine and "deals" from the Sally Ann are taking up space in a small house.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I just spent the last few hours cleaning out the kids' toy room and while I was at it I organized the bar and a small desk in the living room. I have 6 bags (yes 6!) of just junk alone. The good toys I am donating but all the other stuff is now in the garage waiting to be thrown out when I can sneak it past the clutter king aka my husband. I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO less stressed right now!:bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I just spent the last few hours cleaning out the kids' toy room and while I was at it I organized the bar and a small desk in the living room. I have 6 bags (yes 6!) of just junk alone. The good toys I am donating but all the other stuff is now in the garage waiting to be thrown out when I can sneak it past the clutter king aka my husband. I feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO less stressed right now!:bigsmile:

.....don't take it to the in-laws...we've had that discussion already.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thrower-a-wayer, big time!
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I keep 1-2 small boxes of old drawings, papers, journals, and little items with strong sentimental or memory value (like the keys to my first motorcycle, seashells, etc,), but I've learned that almost everything is lost or destroyed eventually, and I don't let myself become attached to many things.

I do tend to keep a collection of both clothes and books past when I've finished using them. Once or twice a year, I get fed up with the excess and do a purge of everything I won't wear, and any books I'm ready to replace.

Short answer: I tend not to hold onto much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'm a throw away person. Heck I even tossed out my old body building trophies because I have pictures of the competitions. The trophies only signified my placing and has no bearance of what I'm doing now in my life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Recycler/donater here.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Throw away all the way Ive moved about 20 times in my life and I have learned that taking more than you need with you makes moving exstremely difficult.Im 29 so thats most of my life so far.Hoping the next time is my last with my husband and 2 daughters.

I hate hate clutter infact everyday i throw something out or give it away.It seems that stuff just multiplies overnight .
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm a collector of...things. I don't have excessive amounts but I have a wardrobe, two sets of drawers and two suitcases full of all kinds of clothes, from costumes to wedding dresses. I often provide my own wardrobe for work though so it's kinda a must.
    I do like 'things' though. I didn't have much growing up and when I got my flat I was determined to make it feel like mine, and by having my things around me I feel content. I'm not extremely materialistic, I just collect odds and ends from markets and vintage shops! I'm definitely not into the minimalist look, my house is chock full of quirky things.
    But I don't keep anything unnecessary. I regularly donate items and clothes I have no use for to charity and everything has it's place.
    Oh, and books. I have a lot of books.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    throw it away! lol.. i only save papers...
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    The only thing I REFUSE to throw away are tools.
    It's funny because I have this old drum brake tool that I have had for years.
    A few years back, my wife asked me about it and, when I explained it to her, she asked me when was the last time I owned a car with drims.
    I admitted it has been about 15 years.
    She then asked me when was the last time I worked on a car with drums.
    Same answer.
    Well, the joke is on HER because now my 73 Beetle needs a brake job and, it has drums on all four corners.
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I throw away everything. Clutter drives me insane. I purge closets and drawers once a month and, if it hasn't been used, I throw it away. It drives my son crazy. I'm not allowed to clean his room anymore. All part of my diabolical plan. :wink:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Opposite here...wife is a major hoarder...just about everything has some kind of sentimental value. I'm a tosser...If I haven't touched some trinket or whatever in 6 months or so, it goes. I do have some sentimental type stuff from child hood, but it all fits in one little box. My wife has an entire 8hx20L shelving system in the garage for her sentimental stuff...not too mention all of the stuff that occupies the garage floor.

We haven't parked a car in the garage in over 8 years due to all of the junk. It drives me bananas because none of that stuff every gets looked at, let alone used...I'm sure there's stuff in there that she has no idea she even owns. Don't get me started on kitchen utensils...I mean really, how many potato peelers does one really need...or egg beaters (we have like 8 in all different sizes and materials)...how many spatulas does one really need.

This is my mom.