RANT - need a smart *kitten* response = please help

Options
124»

Replies

• gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many times we have the same/similar issue (one main number shows on caller IDs, numerous departments could be calling) and people ignore the call because they don't know why such-and-such hospital would be calling them, or they assume it's billing/collections. We ALWAYS attempt to leave a message--however, there are several instances where people either don't have their voice mail set up or the mailbox is full and we can't leave a message, or they don't check their messages at all. The other thing we run into is not having a working number to reach them at all. Either way the person calls us a few days later all annoyed that they don't have their test results back yet or whatever, when we've tried a dozen times to call them.

Moral of story: if you are waiting for an important call, 1) make sure we have a number we can reach you at during the day, and 2)either answer your phone (even if you don't recognize the number) or make sure your voice mail is working--and check for new messages.

As far as a response to these callers, I would just apologize for the inconvenience and say that it must not have been too urgent or whomever called would have left a message or they will call back later.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Please hold................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I answer the phones at my job. My biggest pet peeve is these jack-wads who see a phone number on their caller ID, don't recognize the number, and since no message is left, feel compelled to call the number to see how called them.

The convo goes something like this>

Me: Good afternoon, ABC Company, how may I help you?
    JW: who is this?
    Me: You have reached ABC Company, how may I help you?
    JW: Who is this? someone called me from this number; it was on my called ID?

And then I try to be polite and explain that maybe someone miss dialed an outgoing phone call, and since no message was left, a call back was not necessary. But after about the 5th call of the day, I just want to go off on them.

Any suggestions for a smart *kitten* comment that won't get me fired?

Thanks, rant over (I think)

Sorry for the inconvience have a nice day!
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh yea and I'm old school, no answering machine and no caller ID! If I missed your call and you don't have my cell number than you are simply F'd!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If part of your job is to answer the phone, then just do your job. Be a professional.

This... I am a business owner and if one of my employees were to be smarta**, they'd get a warning. If repeated they'd be gone. The best advertising for any business is a great rep and customer service. It happens here all the time, we just roll with it and do our jobs and that includes me as somehow our phone tree sometimes has a call come to my extension.

It's just a phone call, nothing personal at all.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Since you work for the company you really can't be the smart *kitten* you want to be. So you can't say stuff like "I can't talk now, the ATF now has us surrounded, could you please call back later."

Someone outside my door was yelling "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms!! Open the door now!" And I was thinking "cool, they deliver!"

Edited to get back on topic- I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet: how about an email memo to your employees telling them if they misdial a number it is polite to leave a very brief message saying "sorry, I called the wrong number, no need to call back". ?
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You don't get to have a smart *kitten* response - you're representing a company. Suck it up and move on with your day.

^This. When you are representing a company, it isn't about you and how you feel. It's about making that company look good.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    The jerk store just called and their running out of you.

What's the difference? You're their all time best seller.

LOL. Love that show. Still.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    just break up.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If you are getting five or more of these calls a day, I'd start to wonder why. Why is it that someone at your company keeps misdialing and hanging up?

From where I sit, my guess is that your company does cold calls and the person hangs up when they get an answer machine, rather than a real person to harass and annoy.

When I get one of those recorded messages that say "press 1 to talk to a representative" I press 1. I politely tell the representative that I do not like the intrusion into my home life. Usually, they hang up on me before I finish my sentence. I log these calls and report them to the Do Not Call registry (not that it does any good).

I have little sympathy for a paid employee of a company who gets calls from people who are irritated about getting calls (or hang ups) from a business. Sorry. At least your getting paid for the annoyance. The rest of us are not.
  • Sylkwyrm
    Sylkwyrm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "Do you know anyone who works at ABC Company who may have tried to call you? No? Ok, well hopefully they will call back. Have a nice day."
    That's what I always said when I worked at the front desk. :-P
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    why call back an unknown number?

I had someone come to my house and pose as a government worker. My dad gave out my cell phone number. They said they would call me. I missed a call on my cell and so I called the number back, hoping to get confirmation that the people prying for my info were legit. It was apparently a wrong number.

As much as we daydream about being smart and funny, we could get fired for that humor... go figure, people aren't JUST easily butthurt on the forums, but in real life too! haha

I worked customer service, and it is frustrating answering the same question in the same boring way...

You: thank you for calling abc company, how may I direct your call?
    Them: who?
    You: this is ABC Company
    Them: someone called me from that number

In a dream world:
    You: oh wow, you are so lucky! No one ever calls me.
    You: ABC Company is the PR designate for the local radio station. We were calling to let you know that you'd won an all expense paid trip for two to the Caribbean. Unfortunately, it only applies to people who are present to receive the call, so we were required to give the trip away to someone else. Have a wonderful day.
    You: Yes, I'd like to order a large pepperoni pizza and a side of extra spicy chicken wings. What time can you deliver by?
    You: No we didn't call you. You must be mistaken. Why would we call you?

You: Who called you?
    Them: Someone from this number?
    You: what number?
    Them: the number that I just dialed?
    You: Well who called you?
    Them: I don't know they didn't leave a message?
    You: Why didn't they leave a message? Who does that these days?
    Them: *hangs up*

Sadly, the truth would play out more like:
    You: I'm sorry, this is a large company and all calls are routed through the main switchboard. I am not certain who called you. Hopefully they will call back again shortly. If you'd like, I can take your name and number and see if anyone recognizes your name.

^ note: if you are ethical, you will actually ask a few people if they recognize the name. If you aren't, at least the person on the other end THINKS you are trying to help.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Seriously? After 5 calls you're whining? If you have an issue, it's with someone in your office. Pipe that up the channel
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot too.
    Nothing you can do and i'm sure you get a lot nastier things said to you.
    If not then your lucky. :huh:
    I don't get mad/upset/etc when this happens, just try to figure out who and why we called them.