i hate going to gym alone

Options
124»

Replies

• NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I hate going to the gym alone too. I am trying to force myself to do it! It is not for chit-chat at all. I want to go there to work, just hate walking in alone. Someone earlier mentioned social anxiety - that is exaclty it - I hate doing almost anything alone which is difficult cause I am a widow with grown children so I am almost always alone :-)

I joined the gym, have gone a few times (at least once a week), want to increase to at least 3-4 times. I prefer when I have an appointment with a trainer but that is really expensive. Otherwise I seem to find ways to talk myself out of going.

Hopefully it will become a habit and I won't mind so much :-)

Good luck to you! Friend me if you think support here would help!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I go either way with this... Most days I go with a workout buddy and it can be motivating as we challenge each other, bounce ideas off each other for better workouts and are both a bit competitive so that pushes us. But some days it can also hold me back because when she's stuck on the stationary bike because her plantar fascitis is acting up, I feel bad about leaving her behind to go for a run.

Just keep this in mind - if you require a workout buddy to keep you motivated, what happens when she bales on you or isn't as committed as you? I've had workout buddies in the past that talked like they were all gung ho but when it came right down to it, they cancelled on me and I let that be my excuse to skip the gym as well. This time around, I made sure that no matter what, I'd stick to my workout schedule and just enjoy the fact that I had company when she joined me. I would suggest that you have the same sort of mindset.

Same as dieting IMHO - it's good to have a support system but you can't allow them to be your own motivation for sticking to it.
  • Shivpea
    Shivpea Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love going on my own, I can't imagine working out with anyone else. Although, saying that, when I'm going on the treadmill I always try to get a machine beside someone else who is running (not walking) its motivation for me to try to keep up :-)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't like to go to the gym alone also but if you have friends or family that are unable to join you, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Sometimes my sister-in-law joins me at the gym and once in a while, my brother joins me too.
  • Refr_Quicksilver
    Options
    I work out like I make love.....

ALONE!
  • FoxyFran21
    FoxyFran21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wanted to join a gym for years, asked people to go with that failed and wouldn't go because I was nervous and didn't want to go it alone. I don't have friends really and don't talk to anyone so I'd be waiting a LONG time if I was hoping to have a gym pal lol. So in January I said screw it and signed up and it's been up hill from there. I just go in with a plan get it done and I'm out. Listen to music or watch tv. My motivation is looking at success stories and Beyonce's GQ cover lol. Once you find your motivation that should help and you could care less about company.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like to go by myself. I can keep focus on my plan and not have to keep track of whoever I'm working out with. I tend to be the more experienced one in the gym with any of the workout partners I've had and up till now. By myself = no one in my way:)
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I never consider going to the gym as a particularly social event. I view it like going to the library to study, which I also did alone.
  • kileyalexis1214
    Options
    I prefer going alone. I find I don't work as hard or as long when others go.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I like this except for two things. Not having a partner means not having a spotter and someone to check my form every now and then. I also hate asking people to spot me as i don't want to disrupt their workout so I just tough it out alone