Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks they can turn their fat into muscle should really consider taking up alchemy. You could be rich.

2025164_o.gif
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    My only contention: guys who come out of prison who only every OVERTRAINED, hitting arms and chest ONLY, EVERYDAY, on hypocaloric, low quality diets and zero to no supplements, and have 20 inch guns....CONSISTENTLY...

Read up on prison diets. A lot of prisoners eat better than a lot of Americans. So calorie surplus + lifting = muscle gains.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My only contention: guys who come out of prison who only every OVERTRAINED, hitting arms and chest ONLY, EVERYDAY, on hypocaloric, low quality diets and zero to no supplements, and have 20 inch guns....CONSISTENTLY...
    Guys who come out of prison are felons and are therefore not allowed to have guns. :tongue:
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is finding workout clothes that are too small. I am trying to get small by doing cardio. My sweat pants are not helping. And I need cardio so obiously I can't fit in these small shorts. Help a big girl out. I'll pay more if I must.
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also hate the, "I've gained X pounds, but I've been working out a bit more so I bet it's all muscle" -- after a few weeks of working out, particularly when woman say it. It takes quite a bit of work for women to gain pounds of muscle in place of fat, I read once that with moderate to difficult weight training 3-5 times a week, the average women will gain 1lb of muscle per month is all! I just want to slap some girls (not really), and tell them just eat better, and workout more often!
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. A cubic inch of muscle is heavier than a cubic inch of fat.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    "You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time."
    Oh yes you can. Staying at the same weight but losing inches while on a calorie deficit? Sure.

"Cardio is the only thing you need."

"Intermittent fasting kills your metabolism." "Eat breakfast, it's very important!"
    Eh.. no..

"I AM working out, I go for (leisurely) walks at least twice a week. AND I eat healthy foods (loads of them) so why am I gaining weight?"
    My greatest pet peeve. Try to make people understand how it all works. I know too well what it's like to be totally in the dark on this subject and I just wish someone had shed some light on it for me years ago...

ETA:
    I forgot one.
    "Thou shall eat clean or stay fat forever."
    Sure, "eating clean" is well and good but how to define what "clean" is? If you use several "clean" ingredients to make something that's "un-clean" like a hamburger that's not allowed? Sticking to lean meat, veggies and avoid bad fats is what _I_ believe in.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The whole "muscle weighs more than fat" irks me too.

We all realize a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

However, when you take muscle and you get an exact same size of fat - the muscle will weigh more .

But this topic has been beaten into the ground and everyone can argue it all day long. It's all in the wording. What they mean, what they say, what you get from it.

My myth pet peeve is those who say fat people can't run. I am fat. I can run just fine. I might not be able to run fast or go as long but damnit I can run. Or thinking its my weight that holds me back. Yes, some. But a lot of it is the pain in my back and hips due to medical problems. But at least my fat a$s tries.

My other peeve is that you can't eat fat. Fat is bad. Fat makes you fat. Uh. No. Fat didnt make me fat. Good fats are a natural appetite suppressant. I'll take that over an herbal supplement that joe schmo at the gym is trying to sell me any day.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Curls for girls. I'm still single haha...
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

^^^^^THIS!!!
    Makes me insane to hear this! I can't even correct them because I'm too busy clearing the steam out of my ears!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    oh...

I missed snack three and am now in starvation mode....god I want to do horrible things when I hear this one..LOL

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • Conscious1y
    Options

You have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight...pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

But you do need to eat at a deficit ;P

That said:

"It's OK to curl in the squat rack.."
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. A cubic inch of muscle is heavier than a cubic inch of fat.

The phenomenon you are referring to is density. Density is the weight per a given volume. So therefore to be correct you would say that muscle is more dense than fat.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

The phenomenon you are referring to is density. Density is the weight per a given volume. So therefore to be correct you would say that muscle is more dense than fat.

are you an accountant too?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Certainly not a scientist, as density is mass per volume.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Given that we are all on earth with pretty much the same amount of gravity then weight per volume is pretty much the same as mass per volume. Technically I should have used the term specific weight, but many people here are obviously confused enough. If some of us were losing weight on the moon then it might matter.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Given that we are all on earth with pretty much the same amount of gravity then weight per volume is pretty much the same as mass per volume. Technically I should have used the term specific weight, but many people here are obviously confused enough. If some of us were losing weight on the moon then it might matter.
    That's the point, isn't it? The fact that we can skip certain technicalities without losing any accuracy. Since the "technical" terminology adds nothing of value to the discussion, specifying "density" (or any other technicality) instead of "weight (implied by volume)" is as useless as using pi to a million digits to determine the circumference of a circle whose diameter is only known to 3 significant digits.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    OMG.

Someone really needs to just start a thread debating the whole "Muscle weighs more than fat" thing.

Who gives a flying crap?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    OMG.

Someone really needs to just start a thread debating the whole "Muscle weighs more than fat" thing.

Who gives a flying crap?

Please...****ing hell...no...not another one...
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    y'all take this way too seriously.