Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    OMG.

Someone really needs to just start a thread debating the whole "Muscle weighs more than fat" thing.

Who gives a flying crap?

Please...****ing hell...no...not another one...

I figured since there were so many pages debating the whole topic might as well move it to it's own special place!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    y'all take this way too seriously.

I'm with this guy
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Edit: forget it, who cares
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I hate when I hear another woman say she wants to "tone up".

What is so bad about this?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not a myth, but I'll give my #1 current pet peeve.

"I'd like to start running. How do I do this?"

It's running. Like, similar to walking but faster. My kids learned to walk and then started running about 3 months later. Children do it in the park all day every day but grown *kitten* adults have to post a forum topic to be ask how to buy shoes, run (similar to walking, but faster) and don't overdo it?

oh, and don't forget to buy your hrm first because if you don't your heart might explode! yes, so many exploded hearts on the running trail by my house.

tumblr_lw9nfgfg4z1qjokxe_zps2eefaa9f.gif

DEFINITELY! Or another one, "Is it ok if my kid runs with me?"

Also, I hate it when people who run 5-10 miles a day tell a C25K newbie that they have to spend hundreds of dollars on specially-fitted shoes or risk injury.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread.

My biggest pet peeve is "Calories in = Calories out".

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

This guy is pretty much where I'm at these days regarding calories. It's also been my N=1

People that advocate paleo are also on my list. Eat what you want, but let's not pretend that the first law of thermodynamics does't apply to humans.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Really?? a 6 month old thread?

Mwd7w.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Duplicate
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This guy is pretty much where I'm at these days regarding calories. It's also been my N=1

People that advocate paleo are also on my list. Eat what you want, but let's not pretend that the first law of thermodynamics does't apply to humans.

Don't talk about thermodynamics? :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The first law of thermodynamics applies to humans but not in the way people want it to. It does not state that all caloric content of swallowed food is absorbed by the body nor does it state that macronutrients must be burned or 'do work' before leaving the body.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Don't talk about thermodynamics? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

breaking-the-first-two-rules-of-fight-club_o_554355.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Muscle unquestionably weighs more than fat. Weigh a liter of each and you'll see....

You mean it's more dense. ;)

Or, it weighs more per volume.
    Or it weighs more.

One of my pet peeves is people who like to be pedantic and say
    " actually, muscle and fat weight the same, after all a pound of each... "

Well, yes if you have enough of them both to make a pound of each. But by that same definition a pound of Lead and a pound of Feathers...do feathers weight the same as lead? No.
    If someone is comparing the weight of 2 different substances it should go without saying that they're comparing weight by volume, otherwise it just opens the door for reductio ad absurdum and nothing could be considered heavier than anything else.

People like to assume that other people are stupid and don't understand about density. It makes them feel smarter.

no...words have meaning....it's best to use the correct words to convery what one is saying.

I undewrstand what you're saying, but surely in any conversation involving the difference in weight between 2 substances it's a given that we're discussing the wegiht by volume. fter al, as I said, if this isn't a given, then no solid substance can ever be considered as heavier than another without adding this qualification. The given comparison is simply an accepted linguistic norm.

When people on MFP say this, they are always talking about their total body weight. Context FTW!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The first law of thermodynamics applies to humans but not in the way people want it to. It does not state that all caloric content of swallowed food is absorbed by the body nor does it state that macronutrients must be burned or 'do work' before leaving the body.

Correct! It states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. ERGO: Calories in = calories out

Excess calories in are stored as fat. When calories out > calories in, fat stores are tapped.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    If you don't see results in a week you are doing something wrong

Lifting heavy is a man thing

you shouldn't workout everyday.

1200 calories is a magic weight loss number

if you eat more then 1700 calories you are going to gain weight

if you have a gut you are not fit
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Correct! It states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. ERGO: Calories in = calories out

Excess calories in are stored as fat. When calories out > calories in, fat stores are tapped.
    I'll happily admit that my point is a rather pedantic one, but IMO claiming thermodynamics applies to food in the human body is also pedantic so I think it's only fair game. :laugh:

One can have protein or glucose in their urine, or exhale alcohol for example. Those are calories out without 'burning' them and violate the "equation." The energy in this context is stored in the bonds of molecules, and there's no law that says the molecules cannot leave the body in the same state as they entered it. Also you can say the same with calories in, not everybody absorbs everything they've eaten.

However it is consistent with an individual, at least consistent enough that counting calories (and calories in/out) still does work very effectively and IMO is the best weight loss strategy. But the first law of thermodynamics isn't about molecules entering or leaving a body.:wink:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running will wreck your knees / joints.

Drives me insane when I read this.............
  • oscarsson
    oscarsson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not a myth but definitely a pet peeve... People on a fitness site who don't know how to spell "lose weight", not loose weight....argh!!
  • oscarsson
    Options
    Everyone who claims this should read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. Entertaining read and soooo interesting!!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not a myth but definitely a pet peeve... People on a fitness site who don't know how to spell "lose weight", not loose weight....argh!!

But it is loose weight. Don't you see how it flops around when I do Zumba?
  • oscarsson
    Options
    Hahaha! touché ;-) OK, time to lose loose weight! :blushing: