Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

This argument is what drives me up the wall. Maybe I'm the only one who sees the implied "a fixed volume of" before "muscle weighs more than fat" but nobody really thinks a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat.

Cars weigh the same as bicycles, by this argument, but everyone knows you're not talking about a pound of car vs a pound of bicycles.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

This argument is what drives me up the wall. Maybe I'm the only one who sees the implied "a fixed volume of" before "muscle weighs more than fat" but nobody really thinks a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat.

Cars weigh the same as bicycles, by this argument, but everyone knows you're not talking about a pound of car vs a pound of bicycles.
    No, you're not the only one. Anyone with a three-digit IQ can see volume is implied.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

No, you're not the only one. Anyone with a three-digit IQ can see volume is implied.

I'll third this. We all know exactly what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat." I shake my head whenever someone is so annoyed and has to split hairs about density and weight. You know what's being said. Let it go.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I have tried so hard to get people to understand that when you are comparing the weigh of any two thinks that volumes have to match. There is just no getting through. There are plenty of people out that that actually do think that muscle and fat weigh the same even though their justification for this insane conclusion is ridiculous.

If we were in a lab and the project was to compare the weight of gold and Styrofoam they would turn in a paper that would say:

"1lb of gold weighs the same as 1lb of Styrofoam" and call it a day.

I just have to take solace in the fact that there are people out there who understand what it means to compare the weight of two things.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Running will wreck your knees / joints.

Drives me insane when I read this.............

This angers me to no end! The only reasons my knees and joints work correctly is because I ran and lost the fat that was crushing them!! The same people say, "Oh, I can't run because I have bad knees." Whatever. It's ok if you don't know about running shoes or are self conscious but don't give me the bad knees bullsh*t.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I have tried so hard to get people to understand that when you are comparing the weigh of any two thinks that volumes have to match. There is just no getting through. There are plenty of people out that that actually do think that muscle and fat weigh the same even though their justification for this insane conclusion is ridiculous.

If we were in a lab and the project was to compare the weight of gold and Styrofoam they would turn in a paper that would say:

"1lb of gold weighs the same as 1lb of Styrofoam" and call it a day.

I just have to take solace in the fact that there are people out there who understand what it means to compare the weight of two things.
    Well, half the people in the world are below average.
  • soldier4242
    Options

I'll third this. We all know exactly what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat." I shake my head whenever someone is so annoyed and has to split hairs about density and weight. You know what's being said. Let it go.

That's just it they aren't even splitting hairs. It isn't like they are technically right. They are completely wrong.

Muscle actually does weigh more than fat.

That is an actual objective fact regardless of the speakers opinion.

It is the people that hate the word "toning" that are splitting hairs. I can see how they could have a point in a technical sense. They at least have an argument. But yes when someone says they want to look toned we do know the look they are going for.

The people that think everything in existence weighs the same are flat out wrong. Some things do weigh more than other things and density is the reason for that fact.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1369704281091.jpg
  • soldier4242
    Options

Yeah but the other half are above average so it should balance out.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options

^^^^^^ THIS!! Cracks me up every time!

I just like to think of it as a sentence missing its tail end when I read it. "Muscle weighs more than fat *per cubic inch*" keeps my eyes from bleeding, lol.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

That's just it they aren't even splitting hairs. It isn't like they are technically right. They are completely wrong.

It is the people that hate the word "toning" that are splitting hairs. I can see how they could have a point in a technical sense. They at least have an argument. But yes when someone says they want to look toned we do know the look they are going for.

The people that think everything in existence weighs the same are flat out wrong. Some things do weigh more than other things and density is the reason for that fact.

But witches DO weigh the same as ducks ...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I think it averages out.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Lactic acid build up is what makes you sore.

NO, its small micro tears in your muscles and some inflammation. That is why you are sore. One of the first things I learned in A&P and I can't figure out why people are still tossing it around as fact!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Running will wreck your knees / joints.

Drives me insane when I read this.............

This angers me to no end! The only reasons my knees and joints work correctly is because I ran and lost the fat that was crushing them!! The same people say, "Oh, I can't run because I have bad knees." Whatever. It's ok if you don't know about running shoes or are self conscious but don't give me the bad knees bullsh*t.

As long as we're all agreed that it makes women hypothyroid in order to protect their delicate lady parts.
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(
    This is no true???? *sigh*:cry::cry: :cry: I feel like when I found out Santa Claus isn't real.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(
    This is no true???? *sigh*:cry::cry: :cry: I feel like when I found out Santa Claus isn't real.

Wait....santa isnt...WHAT?!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I think it averages out.
    I like where this one is going.:laugh:
  • soldier4242
    Options

Well yeah but that is because they are both made of wood.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    going faster = burning more calories

This just really isnt very true. I see women going super fast on the elliptical machines with little to no resistance and i want to tell them to slow down and bump up the resistance but i suspect that would be rude.

Serious question: Resistance burns more, even during cardio workouts? I thought that was just for weight training. Well damn, I didn't know that! Huh!

It's not so much resistance or speed - it's intensity. The higher the intensity the higher the calorie need.

You can do that by increasing speed, or resistance or both...

I really dont think so. If youre just free wheeling on a machine with no resistance youre not going to burn much more than just going slow. Also, see this article which says that running any faster than 6.0 does not provide much more calorie burn. I was pretty shocked by that one and not sure i totally believe it but there is some science behind it:

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm

I burn roughly the same amount of calories per mile whether I run at 6mph or 8mph -- the difference is that if I run for 30 minutes at 6mph I only run 3 miles; if I run for 30 minutes at 8mph I'm running roughly 4 miles therefore burning more calories because I ran a further distance in that 30 minute span of time.

I should also add that I'm a strong believer in short speed sessions and their effect on burning more fat than longer, slower running. I prefer my 2-5 mile runs when I can pick up tempo once a week and really kill my lungs and legs.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Ah but can we not also build bridges out of muscles?