Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Running will wreck your knees / joints.

Drives me insane when I read this.............

This angers me to no end! The only reasons my knees and joints work correctly is because I ran and lost the fat that was crushing them!! The same people say, "Oh, I can't run because I have bad knees." Whatever. It's ok if you don't know about running shoes or are self conscious but don't give me the bad knees bullsh*t.

But what if martial arts ruined your knees, combined with getting older, THEN you try to run? Yeah, that's why I don't run. Plus, it's mind numbingly boring to me.

Running isn't what's killing your joints. Repetitive motion over the wrong planes is killing your joints, Throw that sucker in a brace or learn better form - you're in good alignment and the pain goes away.
    Not everybody has ideal conformation. There isn't a single answer that's true for everyone.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

This angers me to no end! The only reasons my knees and joints work correctly is because I ran and lost the fat that was crushing them!! The same people say, "Oh, I can't run because I have bad knees." Whatever. It's ok if you don't know about running shoes or are self conscious but don't give me the bad knees bullsh*t.

But what if martial arts ruined your knees, combined with getting older, THEN you try to run? Yeah, that's why I don't run. Plus, it's mind numbingly boring to me.

If it's not fun the don't do it.......simple.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Running isn't what's killing your joints. Repetitive motion over the wrong planes is killing your joints, Throw that sucker in a brace or learn better form - you're in good alignment and the pain goes away.
    Not everybody has ideal conformation. There isn't a single answer that's true for everyone.

I know that. However, it's the repetitive motion over the wrong planes - whether it's from genetics or old sports injuries - that is probably the underlying problem with running in this instance. I really hope that my example here isn't being used for sports medicine advice.

I usually tell people who give me the "bad knees" answer "that's why God make bicycles." Then they roll their eyes and walk away.
  • detailernick
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is that people say exercise is good for you.*

Have me running the 800m and I'll show you a man ready to keel over and die.

*Disclaimer - one should not take everything I say as Gospel, always consume a pinch of salt with it all.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Do we need to log the salt?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Really?? a 6 month old thread?

Mwd7w.gif

The best part is that she resurrected a 5 month old thread only to later delete her comment in favor of <i>"Edit: forget it, who cares"</i>

[blink]; [blink][blink][blink]
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I know that. However, it's the repetitive motion over the wrong planes - whether it's from genetics or old sports injuries - that is probably the underlying problem with running in this instance. I really hope that my example here isn't being used for sports medicine advice.

I usually tell people who give me the "bad knees" answer "that's why God make bicycles." Then they roll their eyes and walk away.
    No but that's the point, for some the only way to avoid "repetitive motion over the wrong planes" is to not run. :tongue:
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • likitisplit
    Options

No but that's the point, for some the only way to avoid "repetitive motion over the wrong planes" is to not run. :tongue:

Point taken. However, it's not running that wrecked the knees here.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

QFT
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    "Yoga doesn't really count as strength training"

- obviously posted some time back by someone who had never tried Yoga properly and perpetuated by people who have similarly little or no personal experience.
  • sn0wd0gg
    sn0wd0gg Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You need to have at least 8 glasses of water every day. Hrumph. No one even knows where that came from. Most everyone agrees you need to stay well hydrated, but there is no simple 8 glass minimum.
  • Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always see people running to nowhere on the treadmill at the gym.. I wonder if they are running away from weakness or running away from us people who just walk... Was there a memo passed that stated that you have to run like a cheetah in order to have a good workout or something?

Some people could be training for something. I run on the treadmill and outside because I am training for a fun run in December. And I also WALK.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    That knowing your height automatically means you know what is a "healthy" weight for you. I had a complex for YEARS about the fact that although I'm rather short, I weigh a lot more than most people "think" I should (or that I do!) and I'm really only starting to get over it; hydrostatic body testing has helped me come a long way to seeing through the lies and understanding MY BODY. Those "magic numbers" are everywhere - in the media, on blogs, and ESPECIALLY on MFP forums. Even my (RN) mother fell into that trap while we were talking about my fitness goals a few months ago....:ohwell:
  • brittanyd83
    brittanyd83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People who don't think muscle weighs more than fat. It does in fact weigh more. If you take 1 cc of muscle and 1 cc of fat the muscle will weigh more thus per volume muscle does weigh more. If you do not realize this is what people mean then you are the one who doesnt get it.
    Person A: "Gold is more expensive than silver."

Person B: "Nuh uh! One hundred dollars worth of gold is just as expensive as one hundred dollars worth of silver!"

This. And the loose/lose thing. Exactly.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

We all know a pound is a pound is a pound.

But you hit the nail on the head, Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so by definition, a cubic foot of muscle weighs more than a cubic foot of fat, just like a cubic foot of dirt weighs more than a cubic foot of feathers.

THANK YOU. Whenever anyone says that muscle weighs more than fat, I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are talking about volume. The same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. That is true.

My pet peeve? Women seeking "longer" muscles. Ummm... unless you plan on attaching yourself to a stretching machine, the distance between your joints is going to remain the same (may even shrink with age!), so your muscles are never actually going to get longer no matter what exercises you do.
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(

I really didn't know this one. So is this not possible?
  • jenniferfiedler
    Options

OMG I'm never going to make my 1000 calorie limit today... I can't possibly eat that much!

^^this
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

I thought I had. I lost a few pounds and quite a few inches. Using the Navy Circumference method, in a month I gained about 4 or 5 lb of LBM and lost 7 or 8 pounds (I don't remember what it was--I'm too sick {and therefore lazy} to look it up right now. But even if that's not totally accurate, I know I gained muscle while I lost pounds. But then, I had just started, and I understand that those who start strength training do typically gain a little muscle at the beginning, even while eating at a deficit. I don't expect to gain more LBM until I quit eating at a deficit.

Or maybe it's because I am not strict and only eat at a deficit most days. At least once a week I probably eat at maintenance. Maybe that explains it. Maybe not. But either way, I'm happy with what I'm doing.