New Member--Database Practically Useless!

Options
My first post.

I have found using the database to enter foods I've eaten to be virtually useless. The numbers are wildly inconsistent. Don't believe me? Just try looking up Scrambled Eggs. The basic egg including yolk, no milk, no cheese, nothing else. I'm seeing 69 calories, 70 calories, 75 calories, 100 calories, 169 calories. I believe the consensus is 75 calories.

I ran into the same inconsistencies with many, many other foods. I end up Googling the USDA to get the official government info. This causes unnecessary further time spent tracking my foods. (BTW, 1 large egg = 70 calories)

Besides the inconsistencies there's just too darn many listings in the database!

I'm thinking I'll have to create my own list of foods using USDA stats. I do have a food scale and use it frequently.

What do other members do to get accurate calorie and nutrition counts?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yeah, yeah, we all know, your perfect.
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yeah, yeah, we all know, your perfect.

So how many calories in shot of Jack Daniels?

Have you exceeded your daily calorie limit?
  • KinuelA
    Options
    I am happy with the database coz i entered food item i ate & I compared to what's on the packaging & it matched perfectly.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You should just read the nutrition labels on your food and enter it in that way. The database isn't perfect, but people eat a lot of different things and enter them in. If you have the app you can also scan barcodes. Which is accurate. Where there is a will there's a way.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I agree, I've ran into the same problem. I try to look at at least 2 or 3 database entries and if they vary, I'll do a quick search on Google. Others need to be careful when logging food!
  • williamharnett
    Options
    I agree with you. I often check the calorie count on other websites and add them via the "quick add" link. I still enjoy the site though and find it very helpful by keeping me on track.
  • powrwrap
    Options
    I do use the scanner feature a lot but sometimes the original food packaging with the scannable data isn't available. Like you buy a brick of cheese, throw away the packaging and put it in a zip-lock bag.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    For scrambled eggs, look of the brand of the eggs you're using. Use specific brands, and if you have the app, the barcode scanner.

If you cannot do that, you have to use your best judgement. Look up the food you're planning on eating. If the first 10 entries say 100 calories, and the 11th says 200, just go with 100. If they really are all over the place, take the average, or go with the highest-calorie option. I like to be better safe than sorry, so I always go with the larger option.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Eggs depend on several aspects: size of the egg, how much butter is used in the scrambling the two major ones.
    Have a sense of what exactly you are eating, and the database is quite good.
    You just have to get better at using it.
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am happy with the database coz i entered food item i ate & I compared to what's on the packaging & it matched perfectly.

This ^

If I use a generic food item and the info seems off to me I do google it just to be sure but for the most part it's been pretty awesome! You can always add stuff to the database on mfp too.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    There could be variances for many reasons, stick to your packaging and if you find one that hasn't been verified then fix it and then what's the problem?

I double check everything even if it looks right because I want to be certain I am logging correctly and I don't mind it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You should just read the nutrition labels on your food and enter it in that way. The database isn't perfect, but people eat a lot of different things and enter them in. If you have the app you can also scan barcodes. Which is accurate. Where there is a will there's a way.

The scanner isn't always accurate. My bottle of Fuze iced tea came up as a chicken wrap.

Also, people use different ingredients to make things (like your scrambled eggs, for example), so if you're not looking up a whole or pre-packaged food, you should just enter the ingredients separately, or create a recipe or meal so you have it for the next time.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh - first world problems. :grumble:

Use the barcode scanner and scan in the foods you eat. Then it will be in your database and you'll have the correct data.

If it doesn't have a barcode then use the median range entry or take the extra 2min to search it on USDA enter it and then you'll have it for the future!
  • powrwrap
    Options
    I've noticed that there is a message "nutritional information confirmed" and the number of members that have confirmed it so I use that information when making entries.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Very harsh!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Search for "eggs, raw, whole". That will be your accurate system (rather than user-entered) entry. Then you can customize with whatever you add to your eggs when you scramble them.

Personally, I've been on here almost two years and the DB has worked fine for me.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You can add your own values.
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    at best this site is just an estimation most of the time whether it be food or exercise. Once you learn which entry you want to use save it to my foods to use over again.
  • powrwrap
    Options
    Use the barcode scanner and scan in the foods you eat. Then it will be in your database and you'll have the correct data.

Hold on, there is a way to scan food items into your personal database, not the general database? Oh, please enlighten...
  • sticki
    Options
    Yes I find it to be the same - huge variations in calorie counts but after a while you will see a pattern in what you eat, initially yes you have to put in some time to log your calories but you will build up your own favorite or most used items and just pull from that. I just wish that the food listing was more logical....I put in "peanuts" the other day and had to scroll down through lots of items with peanuts in them before i found just plain ole "peanuts"....sure the that should top the list??