New Member--Database Practically Useless!

Options

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I love the barcode scanner - removes this from being a barrier. For fresh foods, I quickly do a scan and see if there is one that matches what I've looked up myself. If it does, I use it and confirm it... if not, I create new.
  • dbarnese
    dbarnese Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I look for the choices with the highest number of confirmations. Or, I enter the info myself from the food label and that way it's always in the "My Foods" list.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I remember my first post....
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    yeah, yeah, we all know, your perfect.

So how many calories in shot of Jack Daniels?

Have you exceeded your daily calorie limit?

An egg - 70 cals

A shot of jack - 70 cals.

I'm having seven of one of these things tonight, and I'm not telling which one.
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do build foods using individual ingredients and I'll be adding recipes in my personal db.

Thanks to everybody for responding, even the snarky ones!

[Hi to dbarnese who just made her first post today.]
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Why would you use something like scrambled eggs (since how people prepare them varies widely) instead of simply using the ingredients. Frankly I would like a lot of those entries removed, but then again if multiple members from a family are logging here, it is the only way to share recipe numbers between them without both having to enter the whole recipe. Other variations are because the nutritional information for products varies from country to country. Finally, if you are using this with a web-browser, just look for the stuff without a * beside it. The ones with an * are entered by other users while the ones without th e* are entered by MFP.

I have never had any real problems with the database and I have been here a long time. Maybe the issue is not the database but expecting something it was not designed for.

Agreed^^ I have been here 2 years and have no issues with the database. I don't search for things that can vary due to preparation or region (scrambled egg, chicken wrap, cheeseburger, etc). Search for the individual ingredients to what you are eating and you will be much more successful and it will be much more accurate. Make recipes when you can to make it easier in the future and take advantage of "My Meals" options to save things you eat regularly.

Also entries that are confirmed by other members are typically accurate for the region they are purchased in. I live in Canada for example, so whenever I'm looking for a restaurant food I always make sure to look for the Canadian version (or enter it myself) because a lot of them vary from the same foods at the same restaurants in the states, just due to different suppliers or serving sizes.

Practice makes perfect!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I've never had a single problem with the database.
    Search for what you're actually eating. A scrambled egg is an egg, plus whatever you add into it. Of course there are going to be variations in the calorie count for a scrambled egg in a user-generated database. Some people may add butter to grease the pan, some may add milk, or cream, or non-dairy milk, who the heck knows. It's like searching the database for anything made up of multiple ingredients - unless it's packaged, log the ingredients you actually ate individually.
    Not that hard....
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I do use the scanner feature a lot but sometimes the original food packaging with the scannable data isn't available. Like you buy a brick of cheese, throw away the packaging and put it in a zip-lock bag.

I have actually started keeping the barcode from labels and putting them on the ziploc bag, or whatever container I put something in, then you always have it!
  • powrwrap
    Options
    I have actually started keeping the barcode from labels and putting them on the ziploc bag, or whatever container I put something in, then you always have it!

I like this!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Other members, like myself, stop using a poorly upkept database as an excuse and run a little more, bike a little more, stay in the weight room a little longer. If you're looking for an excuse, you'll find it.

REgarding eggs....70 or 75, no difference in my eye. Need to burn 5 extra calories? 5 jumping jacks. You're done.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It may not be perfect, but hey, its free..........
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I verify the info on the database against labels, manufacturer websites and the usda. That's the best anyone can really do.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If the database bugs you just add your own stuff in. MFP is a free resource so you kind of get whatever quality out of it that you put in.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Do you even lift brah?
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The database is like all databases, it depends on the intelligence of the search terms, the accuracy of the data input and the ability to interpret the answers.

Surely in a box of 6 eggs you will get different actual numbers of calories, not all eggs are the same size!

I understand that the frustration of a new data heavy entry period must have gotten to you a bit, as it does get easier once your favorites appear, but seriously mate, are you this good at making a great first impression in real life?

It is always a matter of helping those who help themselves!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yeah, yeah, we all know, your perfect.

So how many calories in shot of Jack Daniels?

Have you exceeded your daily calorie limit?

ZING!!! At least the new guy has a sense of humor. He may be whining about the database but at least he's not one of those "mean people are sooooo mean" new people.

Point for this round goes to the new guy
  • powrwrap
    Options
    Do you even lift brah?

Not yet. I'm rowing and doing pushups and situps. Also have a cheap stair climber I should start using.
  • lorih307
    Options
    Keep in mind that the entries are contributed by members and that this is a free website. There are bound to be inconsistencies, but most members are trying to contribute information based on the materials they have available to them. And there are many foods that genuinely will vary widely from one entry to another. Fried chicken wings, for instance. How big are the wings? How much oil is absorbed by them? How much breading is on them? These are difficult to quantify, so you'll need to do some research based on the specific versions of the foods that you are eating. It may not be the best system, but it's free, and you can always hone your own results.