New Member--Database Practically Useless!

Options

Replies

• Nitro2310
    Nitro2310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    its free stop complaining do your own research or add it to the data base
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the egg thing is annoying. Every egg wrap is egg WHITES. How about those of us who eat the WHOLE egg
  • fussnboots
    fussnboots Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is putting in the actual food instead of how it was prepared. I enter 2 eggs instead of scrambled eggs..... If I use any additional ingredients I add them. The same with sandwiches, etc. I just break it down. :smile:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    luckily the site, information, suggestions, and support etc is all free, so if you choose to leave you won't be out much \m/

Oh burn
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It seems there are some here that want me to eat crow. Funny, I can't find that in the database. LOL.
  • babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    With things like eggs, fruits, etc. I dont expect the counter to be spot on every single time. It being off by 5 or 10 calories isnt going to kill your diet or make you lose less weight. Seriously.
  • babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Then create a food entry with WHOLE eggs....
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    While I've seen variation, it usually isn't enough to throw my whole calorie count off. There isn't much difference between 75, 78, 80, 84 calories, for example. I just do the best I can to find the closest match to what is on the labels of the foods I used.

There's always looking up one thing at a time. 1 large egg, 1 pat of butter, 1/8 cup 2% milk (for a scrambled egg, for example).

I've tried several databases for logging, and this one is the fastest.
  • erikacole
    erikacole Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be a little frustrating at times....but dude--it's FREE.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    It seems there are some here that want me to eat crow. Funny, I can't find that in the database. LOL.

You can enter it. You'd be surprised.....at least you have a sense of humor.

I didn't read every reply but you asked how you enter stuff into "your" database?

If you choose an entry already in the database and you EDIT it, OR if you enter a new food yourself, it will then appear in MY FOOD. You can then just search that (much shorter) list.

Those foods will ALSO be in the main database list with no asterisk ( * ), just like the admin-entered ones. Easy peasy.

It takes a few weeks to get acclimated and to get your food entered, but I've looked all over the Internet for a better system, and there isn't one.

Good luck.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I just go with my best guess and experience. I often use the USDA database (heck even that is not 100% accurate), and use whatever is closest. I never thought the database would be accurate the minute I learned members were entering it in. That would be pretty silly to expect since humans screw up and get lazy.

I go with the closest and always over estimate. Like many other things this is usually the best guess.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    My first post.

I have found using the database to enter foods I've eaten to be virtually useless. The numbers are wildly inconsistent. Don't believe me? Just try looking up Scrambled Eggs. The basic egg including yolk, no milk, no cheese, nothing else. I'm seeing 69 calories, 70 calories, 75 calories, 100 calories, 169 calories. I believe the consensus is 75 calories.

I ran into the same inconsistencies with many, many other foods. I end up Googling the USDA to get the official government info. This causes unnecessary further time spent tracking my foods. (BTW, 1 large egg = 70 calories)

Besides the inconsistencies there's just too darn many listings in the database!

I'm thinking I'll have to create my own list of foods using USDA stats. I do have a food scale and use it frequently.

What do other members do to get accurate calorie and nutrition counts?

Why would you use something like scrambled eggs (since how people prepare them varies widely) instead of simply using the ingredients. Frankly I would like a lot of those entries removed, but then again if multiple members from a family are logging here, it is the only way to share recipe numbers between them without both having to enter the whole recipe. Other variations are because the nutritional information for products varies from country to country. Finally, if you are using this with a web-browser, just look for the stuff without a * beside it. The ones with an * are entered by other users while the ones without th e* are entered by MFP.

I have never had any real problems with the database and I have been here a long time. Maybe the issue is not the database but expecting something it was not designed for.

I do the whole ingredients too. It's a bit time consuming and will almost always put you over especially when you do the whole item when you only ate part of it in the menu, but until this hinders my progress I dont mind doing it this way. Keeps my accountable for EVERYTHING I eat!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For something like scrambled eggs, which can be prepared any number of ways, you are better off either entering each ingredient you used separately or else using the Recipe feature to create an entry that you can use repeatedly. The database is only really good for ingredients, it's not that helpful for a dish that includes multiple ingredients. I make scrambled eggs with half and half, someone else might make them with butter or milk or both. That's probably why there are so many different calorie counts.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My first post.

I have found using the database to enter foods I've eaten to be virtually useless. The numbers are wildly inconsistent. Don't believe me? Just try looking up Scrambled Eggs. The basic egg including yolk, no milk, no cheese, nothing else. I'm seeing 69 calories, 70 calories, 75 calories, 100 calories, 169 calories. I believe the consensus is 75 calories.

I ran into the same inconsistencies with many, many other foods. I end up Googling the USDA to get the official government info. This causes unnecessary further time spent tracking my foods. (BTW, 1 large egg = 70 calories)

Besides the inconsistencies there's just too darn many listings in the database!

I'm thinking I'll have to create my own list of foods using USDA stats. I do have a food scale and use it frequently.

What do other members do to get accurate calorie and nutrition counts?

Why would you use something like scrambled eggs (since how people prepare them varies widely) instead of simply using the ingredients. Frankly I would like a lot of those entries removed, but then again if multiple members from a family are logging here, it is the only way to share recipe numbers between them without both having to enter the whole recipe. Other variations are because the nutritional information for products varies from country to country. Finally, if you are using this with a web-browser, just look for the stuff without a * beside it. The ones with an * are entered by other users while the ones without th e* are entered by MFP.

I have never had any real problems with the database and I have been here a long time. Maybe the issue is not the database but expecting something it was not designed for.

exactly! If i make a deli style chicken sandwich, i add the individual ingredients rather than search for a chicken sandwich.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    No....it's not perfect, you do have to do some research for yourself.....but once you enter and save foods that you eat, and recipes you use a lot, it becomes much more accurate. I use this database too http://nutritiondata.self.com/, as well as the usda site. stick with it....it works....even if the numbers are slightly off....you can still see what you're putting in your body and that helps to cut those portions! good luck!

This is a great site I love the grading features and the nutrient graph!
  • Ange34
    Ange34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have encountered inconsistencies and when I have a chance there's a way to edit them to include the correct info so I do but usually I just pick the average between the low and high or else the high one - better safe than sorry.

Otherwise, I create my own foods and meals and the info is correct so no more searching. Taking the time to set up your own database is time consuming at first but SAVES in the long run. Just like everything else, if it's not worth working hard for, then it's not worth anything.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! Typical, we can't find the exact number of calories, better turn to my daddy, the government, to help me! People are such babies.

Erm, I'd just like to point out that if OP didn't trust the MFP entries, turning to the USDA website is a perfectly reasonable way to be sure >> every third person on here is agreeing that researching your own diet choices can and will help... so how does that make us babies, exactly?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    yeah, yeah, we all know, your perfect.

So how many calories in shot of Jack Daniels?

Have you exceeded your daily calorie limit?

Is it 97kcals for a 1.5oz jigger? I was looking up rum the other day.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    yeah, yeah, we all know, your perfect.

*you're
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    With time, you get to know how many calories in your frequent foods. I like to scan barcode whenever possible and create my own meals or recipes, this way you don't have to be searching through database. Say for example you eat scrambled eggs, toast, and milk. Scan when possible and save under "Scrambled Egg Breakfast" or something like that. Then you can use it whenever.