New looking for UK folk doing 5:2 diet

Options

Replies

• snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You should eat at your TDEE on non-fast days, there is no need for further calorie restriction. Having said that, I would often burn 500-600 cals and not eat them back! I lost 19.5lbs in 11 weeks on 5:2 and am now maintaining (well, trying to...lost 1lb this week!)
  • shez2
    shez2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there all you folks on the 5:2 diet. I started on it almost 3 weeks ago & am going really well. I've found lunch works best for me on my fast days, and i always have lots of vegetarian protein (usually tofu in some form or other) & plenty of veggies. I allow myself enough soy milk in my calorie allowance for 2 or 3 cups of tea & 1 cup of coffee throughout the day. Otherwise, it's plenty of herbal teas or water in between. On my non diet days, I don't count calories at all, but just try to eat healthily on most of them & to not over-eat. I'm trying to stay clear of refined sugar & fatty foods, but I do allow myself 2 or 3 glasses of wine a week. All good. I love this regime - it works for me, I see results, & that only makes me feel stronger & more determined on the fast days!!
    Good luck everyone. :smile:
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 4th fast today and was really looking forward to it after some over-indulgence this weekend. I struggle less with fast days and more with feed days - maybe it's because my mind is ingrained to worry about what I'm eating!

I'm also attempting more exercise this week after not doing much last week - getting over the fear of not eating before working out! I'm stronger than I think.....!
  • AngieSitaAustin
    AngieSitaAustin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    im curious...how do i work out how many calories i sould eat on a fast day?
  • flossytreadlight
    Options
    Hi. On fast days you should aim to have no more than 1/4 of your usual daily calories .
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in week 3 and doing ok. Being in Staffordshire we get a lot of rain, so instead of new waterproofs to go walking in I'm thinking of a wet-suit!

Friends welcome. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Summer, on fast days start with up to 500 for a female, 600 for a male.

This is very roughly based on 25% of your TDEE, and some people get very mathematical about calculating the right figure. But really, there's nothing magical about 25%, it could just as well be 26% or 23.5%. So go for 500 for a few weeks and see how that works for you.
  • AngieSitaAustin
    AngieSitaAustin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Summer, on fast days start with up to 500 for a female, 600 for a male.

This is very roughly based on 25% of your TDEE, and some people get very mathematical about calculating the right figure. But really, there's nothing magical about 25%, it could just as well be 26% or 23.5%. So go for 500 for a few weeks and see how that works for you.
    Hi Melanie

Thanks for the help, i need to lose a bit more before my holiday so thought this may be the way to go x
  • James501
    James501 Posts: 148
    Options
    Hi

I've been doing the 5:2 diet since January and have lost 3 stone now. It really does work and I recomend it to every one.
    If anyone wants to talk some more about it, message me.

James
  • KarenB94
    KarenB94 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 5/2 diet for 2 weeks, to my suprise i am loving it....but i have to stay busy. I am in Plymouth,
    Add me if you like
  • mandybobs65
    mandybobs65 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bought the book ages ago and have never read it! However, watched the Horizon documentary today and am now reading the book. Starting today as a fast day, will probably fast again on Wednesday, hopefully this will be the one I can stick to! Would like some UK friends to help me along x
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Started juddd yesterday and am based in plymouth, keeping it relatively low carb too.xx
  • LOUISEC90
    LOUISEC90 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm up in Scotland doing the 5:2 diet and would love some new MFP friends who are doing this plan too :)

Just finishing my first week and I'm loving it so far, just would like to up my exercise alongside the plan!
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 5:2 this week and would love some MFP pals who are also doing this diet! I need some food recommendations for the fast days!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Head over to this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

where you'll get lots of information, support and ideas.
  • dinglezos
    dinglezos Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, I am in London and started 5:2 about a month ago. So far it is going well, and slowly getting used to the fasting days. Would be good to share ideas and strategies with everyone else.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Uk here
  • tobefitfifty
    Options
    Hi All.....sounds good to have a few UK folk. I'm going to start the 5:2 when I'm back at work in the new year and in between now and then its no alcohol, healthy eating and exercise.

Profile pic is today (29/12) before going for a jog as I decided time to be real about how I look and feel.....hoping to keep updated with during and after transformation :-)

Happy to add our be added (oh this is also my first ever social network experience :-) )
  • I'm starting 5:2 on 2nd Jan.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey - I did 5:2 while I was travelling for 8 weeks this year. Happy to start again in Jan as well