"you have such a pretty face"

Options

Replies

• Diondrea04
    Diondrea04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OMG!...i know exactly where you are coming from...if i had a nickel for every time i've been told that. It's not my motivating factor per se ...but i definitely know how you feel. Keep strive :)
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    People say dumb stuff in an effort to be consoling. Ignore.

You could always whip around and say to the offender, "Pretty is only skin deep, but stupid and mean go to the bone."

Or you could be the stupid and mean one saying that to someone giving a genuine compliment.

As you will. But I think what the OP was getting at was the unspoken BUT that tends to follow "You have such a pretty face."
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You have a face that would stop a train.

Is that better? I didn't think so. Accept the compliments when they come and stop turning them into phantom insults.

or you've got a face for radio!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I get told I have a pretty face all the time.

I'm thin, so I really don't get why people are like "OMG WHY YOU CALL ME FAT?!"

And yes, I got told this when I was fat, too. It was a compliment then and now. A pretty face is a pretty face. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment.

You can fix a body but you can't fix a face.

I'm fu**ed
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment.

You can fix a body but you can't fix a face.

Good point.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

You could always whip around and say to the offender, "Pretty is only skin deep, but stupid and mean go to the bone."

Or you could be the stupid and mean one saying that to someone giving a genuine compliment.

As you will. But I think what the OP was getting at was the unspoken BUT that tends to follow "You have such a pretty face."

I think anyone who believes that is being overly sensitive. I looked at the OP's photos and she does have a pretty face. Why make it more than it is?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If someone said `you have a face that only a mother could love` then I would panic :laugh:

Seriously, does it matter what other people say..I am sure they have their own issues x
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options

I think anyone who believes that is being overly sensitive. I looked at the OP's photos and she does have a pretty face. Why make it more than it is?

Don't think I am. The OP seemed to be bothered by it; that's why she posted. *shrug*
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I just try and be funny then they don't notice my face. Deflection......
    Take it as a compliment young lady.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Fine, your face is ugly.
  • FBU3760
    Options
    I would take it. All I ever hear is: "dude, you're not only fat, you're ugly."
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd be pretty happy to have someone say something so nice to me. Not enough compliments going around the world these days. (Plus you do have a pretty face. What's wrong with that? Parade it around!)
    :)
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Would you prefer "God you're hideous, but your body is amazing!" ... ???
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've heard it for YEARS! My mother actually says that to me just to piss me off (in a fun sort of way). But I do agree - it's better than fat AND ugly.

Butterface = Damn, she has a fine bod, but 'er face??
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Could be worse. I've never even had that back handed compliment. The closest I've ever gotten to "pretty face" is "I think you're cute" or "You have a cute face"..... great. Always makes me feel like a puppy that is so ugly it's cute.....
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Don't think I am. The OP seemed to be bothered by it; that's why she posted. *shrug*

The OP was likely bothered by it because she has low self esteem and can't see the compliment for what it was.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Well, I mean, you suggested giving an insult in return for a compliment, so yeah that does seem kind of overly-sensitive as far as that goes.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    People create problems for themselves. Do you know how many ugly chicks are dying to hear that?
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is not as simple as it looks. One on hand, you have a compliment, but on the other, you hear the unspoken "But".

I would like to have the presence of mind, (in the moment, not when I got home), to say what I really feel: "Thanks for the compliment. I'm gonna get the rest of me that gorgeous, that's why I'm here. How about you?".