OMG! Home food pump for obesity, medically assisted bulemia?

Options

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it , "but only in America" [raises eyebrows *& tuts ]c ould such a thing be countenanced

It's not been approved in America as of right now. But it has been used in Sweden and "select regions of Europe".

"Some people manage to lose weight on a diet, but the kinds of changes you need to make to keep it off are probably not sustainable for many," she said. "There's a lot to be said for people being in the driver's seat with their own body, with their own health. This allows a patient to do that while under the care of a physician." Quoted from http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stomach-pumping-machine-makes-calories-disappear/story?id=18164739

I cannot believe someone actually said this in defense of this. How about taking control of what you put into your body to control your weight. This just really disturbs me. There is no accountability anymore.

It's so easy to say that when you have never had an eating disorder. Some people are literally killing themselves with food and are unable to stop without help. Sometimes getting weight down by any means necessary is step one in saving someone's life, and this method is unlikely to be less unhealthy than bariatric surgery.

I agree that people with eating disorders are in need of medical help. However, the largest portion of that medical assistance should be mental health care. Those issues are psychological. No matter the method (pumps, bypass, lap band etc) it will not "cure" the person's thought processes and mental associations of food/body without addressing the bigger picture of mental health. I don't think it's going to help anyone overcome their issues with food by telling them "oh eat whatever you want you can just pump it out in a while." It's the same as "go binge and then just purge later." It's not battling eating disorders, it's encouraging them.

No, it's not encouraging them, or at least it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be. Of course psychological counseling is needed, but some very obese people could die from obesity related disease while working on the psychological issues. Sometimes getting weight down is emergent.
    No. This isn't an emergency measure that would prevent that obesity-related cardiac event or whatever. This is a measure that would allow the destructive behavior to continue while mitigating its effects. If someone is really that out of control they need to be in an inpatient setting, not walking around siphoning their own stomachs.

Edit fer the grammers.

Why couldn't it be an emergency issue? As I said before, I'm sure there will be doctors that will install it for anyone willing to pay, but that doesn't change the fact that it could be safely done and fill a medical need in some cases.

And why would it need to be inpatient? It's a waste of resources to do something inpatient that can be safely done outpatient.

(FYI - it would be very difficult to drain your stomach while walking)
    It's an emergency issue because this device is not preventative, it simply permits further destructive behavior. That hypothetical emergency in the future would be best addressed by preventative medical intervention, behavioral therapy and/or psychiatric care, and yes, in some cases admission into an inpatient program. Look, I get what you're thinking, that perhaps this is a sort of methadone that prevents further damage while weaning the addict. I just don't see it that way.

The emergent issue would likely be heart, vascular or metabolic in nature. Diabetes or hypertension not contollable with medication. History or high risk of stroke or heart attack. The pump c/would be the preventative medicine. But I can agree to disagree.
    Wait, wuuuut? Aren't we supposed to pull one another's hair or something?
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    That makes me sad...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it , "but only in America" [raises eyebrows *& tuts ]c ould such a thing be countenanced

It's not been approved in America as of right now. But it has been used in Sweden and "select regions of Europe".

"Some people manage to lose weight on a diet, but the kinds of changes you need to make to keep it off are probably not sustainable for many," she said. "There's a lot to be said for people being in the driver's seat with their own body, with their own health. This allows a patient to do that while under the care of a physician." Quoted from http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stomach-pumping-machine-makes-calories-disappear/story?id=18164739

I cannot believe someone actually said this in defense of this. How about taking control of what you put into your body to control your weight. This just really disturbs me. There is no accountability anymore.

It's so easy to say that when you have never had an eating disorder. Some people are literally killing themselves with food and are unable to stop without help. Sometimes getting weight down by any means necessary is step one in saving someone's life, and this method is unlikely to be less unhealthy than bariatric surgery.

I agree that people with eating disorders are in need of medical help. However, the largest portion of that medical assistance should be mental health care. Those issues are psychological. No matter the method (pumps, bypass, lap band etc) it will not "cure" the person's thought processes and mental associations of food/body without addressing the bigger picture of mental health. I don't think it's going to help anyone overcome their issues with food by telling them "oh eat whatever you want you can just pump it out in a while." It's the same as "go binge and then just purge later." It's not battling eating disorders, it's encouraging them.

No, it's not encouraging them, or at least it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be. Of course psychological counseling is needed, but some very obese people could die from obesity related disease while working on the psychological issues. Sometimes getting weight down is emergent.
    No. This isn't an emergency measure that would prevent that obesity-related cardiac event or whatever. This is a measure that would allow the destructive behavior to continue while mitigating its effects. If someone is really that out of control they need to be in an inpatient setting, not walking around siphoning their own stomachs.

Edit fer the grammers.

Why couldn't it be an emergency issue? As I said before, I'm sure there will be doctors that will install it for anyone willing to pay, but that doesn't change the fact that it could be safely done and fill a medical need in some cases.

And why would it need to be inpatient? It's a waste of resources to do something inpatient that can be safely done outpatient.

(FYI - it would be very difficult to drain your stomach while walking)
    It's an emergency issue because this device is not preventative, it simply permits further destructive behavior. That hypothetical emergency in the future would be best addressed by preventative medical intervention, behavioral therapy and/or psychiatric care, and yes, in some cases admission into an inpatient program. Look, I get what you're thinking, that perhaps this is a sort of methadone that prevents further damage while weaning the addict. I just don't see it that way.

The emergent issue would likely be heart, vascular or metabolic in nature. Diabetes or hypertension not contollable with medication. History or high risk of stroke or heart attack. The pump c/would be the preventative medicine. But I can agree to disagree.

I didn't want to get paint (or dye or whateve it is) on my hands. :wink:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

:angry:
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Jeebus! Whoever thought of that needs a damned good slap upside the head :noway:
    Where is the lifestyle change? The accountability? And most importantly the ability to track nutritional intake? The sh!tstorm of trouble that can be caused by gastro's that are medically required is bad enough but people are actually choosing to have this done? Frucking madness.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    And I thought the worse 'weight loss' gimmick I saw was the portable feeding tube. I think this tops its. These doctors licenses should be taken away.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    When I first read about this I too was appalled. Speaking as someone who was once a hopelessly super morbidly obese person to someone now who is a few BMI points away from being out of the obese category I do see both sides, in theory at least. Lets say this could be done under strict medical supervision safely. Working in healthcare, I can see there this could be done with as few if not fewer side effects than bariatric surgery, epscially the more invasive bypass procedure. If then, this was reserved for only the sickest patients who had demonstrated, as I had to, a willingness to follow a nutrition and exercise plan before surgery, than I would say it should not be completely ruled out because of ideology.
    Having said all that, in America, cash talks and I guarantee it if were approved it would be just like all the other bariatric procedures which are bought and fail daily because people are unwilling to make the lifestyle changes needed. For this reason more than any other I am opposed, but not because of the radical nature of it.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is just disgusting and it just shows that with fear of the gastric they are just pulling at get skinny quick ideas...and this one is a loser for sure. lol
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

I didn't want to get paint (or dye or whateve it is) on my hands. :wink:

It's cornstarch from the Color Me Rad 5k. Soooo fun.
    /threadhijack
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I think the people who invented this should take it to Africa, and explain this thunderingly appalling device to all of the starving, horribly ill people there. If they can get through that without developing a guilty conscience and feeling ashamed of themselves, they should be diagnosed as a sociopath and thoroughly treated and medicated, accordingly.

This is what is wrong with the world.
  • mamadolce6499
    mamadolce6499 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Arent they afraid of an infection? Or it tearing through the skin. I cant see anyone having a normal active lifestyle with that attached to them. And I couldn't imagine falling asleep comfortably with that stuck on my side. I freak out when my shirt crumples up and I can feel it between my skin and the mattress.

I'm for weight loss surgery because its just an extreme way to force someone to count their calories. Well that's the theory anyways. But this doesn't teach anybody anything except GET THE FOOD OUT BEFORE I GET FAT! And last time I checked that was bad or maybe because its fat people that mindset is ok. This device is to much.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is right up there with gastric bypass and lap band.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I think it's worse. At least those other procedures force them to eat less and like their consumption of certain types of food.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    GTFO_zps336c4506.png

Please tell me you are kidding. This is why I don't have cable, too much stupidity parading itself as quality television.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Where do I order one? I checked eBay and Amazon, nothing. :(
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I want man pizza all day everyday sounds sweet
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    GTFO_zps336c4506.png

Please tell me you are kidding. This is why I don't have cable, too much stupidity parading itself as quality television.

reposting thanks to trolls.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Arent they afraid of an infection? Or it tearing through the skin. I cant see anyone having a normal active lifestyle with that attached to them. And I couldn't imagine falling asleep comfortably with that stuck on my side. I freak out when my shirt crumples up and I can feel it between my skin and the mattress.

Feeding tubes are very safe and the risk of infection is small. Many people live with them for most of their lives for medical reasons, including children. There is very little restriction on activity with one.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Both of which have been shown to be effective methods of weight loss that often cure obesity related diseases like diabetes, which was once thought of as irreversible.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Huh???? What???????

That is just crazy! And gross.

I know people get deperate to lose weight...... but really I just cannot imagine someone thinking it is a good idea!