Build Muscle while calorie deficit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by this whole "lifting heavy" thing. What I lift is the max I can lift without quitting...so that's heavy for me..

Then I also don't get the point of doing it if people are saying you can't gain muscle while eating at a deficit....so is there any point to it? I mean, if you're not going to get stronger or anything why do it? I've always heard the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even at rest so it helps you lose fat. But somehow out of the responses people are giving that's not true? And you need to eat at a surplus to get any benefits....I got fat eating at a surplus so I'm confused...

You need to do it to maintain muscle while dieting - it's actually more important than trying to gain muscle as muscle is so hard to increase, especially for women.

ETA: you will get stronger. I mentioned the neuromuscular adaptations (aka myofibril hypertrophy earlier).

How many reps do you do?

for most things right now I do 3 sets of 10 reps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by this whole "lifting heavy" thing. What I lift is the max I can lift without quitting...so that's heavy for me..

Then I also don't get the point of doing it if people are saying you can't gain muscle while eating at a deficit....so is there any point to it? I mean, if you're not going to get stronger or anything why do it? I've always heard the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even at rest so it helps you lose fat. But somehow out of the responses people are giving that's not true? And you need to eat at a surplus to get any benefits....I got fat eating at a surplus so I'm confused...

You need to do it to maintain muscle while dieting - it's actually more important than trying to gain muscle as muscle is so hard to increase, especially for women.

ETA: you will get stronger. I mentioned the neuromuscular adaptations (aka myofibril hypertrophy earlier).

How many reps do you do?

for most things right now I do 3 sets of 10 reps.

That is fine for where you are at - but I would not go above 10.