Women Be Shoppin'

Options
So how would I log shopping as exercise... obviously it's walking but is it leisurely walking or what?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    that depends, are you walking in the highest heels you can find/
    do you strutt your stuff?
    is it a long leggy walk?
    are you looking for lingerie
    or workout clothes?
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I went to a large children's museum the other day and logged it as a VERY leisurely walk. I also cut the time I spent there in half, just to be sure I wouldn't overestimate my "burn." We did a lot of walking and climbing stairs, but it still was nothing that took real effort.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it at all. It's likely to be very little additional calories over what you would've used normally. You'd just be cheating yourself, especially if you plan to eat those calories back. I personally don't log anything that's not a dedicated workout.
  • SuzieQ724
    SuzieQ724 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    that depends, are you walking in the highest heels you can find/
    do you strutt your stuff?
    is it a long leggy walk?
    are you looking for lingerie
    or workout clothes?

Ha ha ha! Thanks for the good laugh!
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I used to log it if I was carrying a 20+ lb kid on my back for an extended period of time.

I'd say leisurely?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would not log such a thing as "exercise." You shopped before trying to lose weight, correct?

ETA: Since this might not be what you and some other people want to hear, I feel the need to clarify that this is MY opinion. I am not attacking. I am trying to help.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Do lunges when walking the mall. J/K. It would be cool though. I would totally respect that if I saw it!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I would not log such a thing as "exercise." You shopped before trying to lose weight, correct?

ETA: Since this might not be what you and some other people want to hear, I feel the need to clarify that this is MY opinion. I am not attacking. I am trying to help.

I have the same opinion.....
    I don't log any exercise that I normally did, before I started this.
    So grocery shopping, the 2 flights of stairs to get in and out of my apartment, going to the mall, the walking I do at work, etc... None of that gets logged as exercise.
    I only log the exercise I do that's above and beyond the "norm".
    But like adini749 said, that's just my opinion. :flowerforyou:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

THIS.

Even though I don't shop.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you did not elevate your heart rate, I wouldnt log it.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i log it as walking at 3.4 mph even tho i walk faster than that, i want to make up for the moments i am trying stuff on, checking out, etc
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

So grocery shopping, the 2 flights of stairs to get in and out of my apartment, going to the mall, the walking I do at work, etc... None of that gets logged as exercise.

+100 , amen... well said
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

I third it. But I liked your thread title. :wink:
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My driveway 500 feet from garage to the street. I dragged a full garbage can through several inches of snow, and dragged the empty can back through the snow. Coming back is up a hill. I didn't count it as any exercise. I felt like I had a workout though. I never count shopping as exercise.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options

Same here, although I like the idea of halving the time if you ARE going to log it. I never log anything that is a daily task or otherwise normal activity (shopping, walking from back of parking lot, cleaning, taking stairs, work, etc) but I did recently log a lengthy visit to an interactive museum because I was there for 4 hours running around with kids and climbing up and down stairs. I think I logged it as like 150 calories :P
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options

agreed...... If i did it fat, it don't count. Shopping, cleaning, sexy time..... none of that nonsense. I only log if I am actively working out or playing a sport. Things that the fat me didn't do....... ever.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We still need to know what you were shopping for in order to properly calculate this...
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as High-intensity interval training.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    um, really?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer or a fitbit. A WORKOUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A GYM FOR IT TO COUNT. Walking is walking in a store or on a treadmill, no difference. I used to log shopping and even walmart trips until I got my fitbit now it does that for me.