Women Be Shoppin'

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    I would not log such a thing as "exercise." You shopped before trying to lose weight, correct?

ETA: Since this might not be what you and some other people want to hear, I feel the need to clarify that this is MY opinion. I am not attacking. I am trying to help.

I have the same opinion.....
    I don't log any exercise that I normally did, before I started this.
    So grocery shopping, the 2 flights of stairs to get in and out of my apartment, going to the mall, the walking I do at work, etc... None of that gets logged as exercise.
    I only log the exercise I do that's above and beyond the "norm".
    But like adini749 said, that's just my opinion. :flowerforyou:

Housecleaning, grocery shopping, etc like the other two ladies politely stated were things I did when I was 30lbs heavier.
    You're body is use to it

If you wanna count it, good for you but I personally wouldn't and don't
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    get a pedometer or a fitbit and tell all these people to shut up. A WORKOUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A GYM FOR IT TO COUNT, I swear bunch of damn snobs in here anymore. Walking is walking in a store or on a treadmill, no difference. I used to log shopping and even walmart trips until I got my fitbit now it does that for me.

Do you need a cookie?? I think you need a cookie.

1694652_o.gif

Thanks for the Cookie.

Bigger one?

xgd2bn.gif
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member

I'd really like someone to explain to me the difference between walking at a pace of 2.5 on a treadmill for 30 minutes non-stop and walking at the all at the same pace, for the same amount of time. I'm not asking anyone's opinion on whether 2.5 for 30 minutes is "doing any good", either. I'm asking the difference and why you would log one and not the other.

I think the main idea is, when you're shopping, you don't walk at that same pace in a continual way. You stop, look, try stuff on, sit, walk some more, and the increase in heart rate is minimal at best.

I haven't seen anyone claim that exercise has to take place in a gym, nor have I seen anyone getting cranky except the one.

I do the same, if I have a marathon shopping trip, I just chalk it up to bonus, uncounted calories burned. I don't need to eat more to fuel myself to browse and stroll.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member

Before people start ridiculing the OP for asking the frigin question, how about asking for more info? Like, how long did you walk non-stop? How fast did you walk? Was your heart rate increased? What is your level of exercise set at here?

I'd really like someone to explain to me the difference between walking at a pace of 2.5 on a treadmill for 30 minutes non-stop and walking at the all at the same pace, for the same amount of time. I'm not asking anyone's opinion on whether 2.5 for 30 minutes is "doing any good", either. I'm asking the difference and why you would log one and not the other.

I agree. If it isn't something you do daily, or even something you don't do regularly, what is the big deal?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    get a pedometer or a fitbit and tell all these people to shut up. A WORKOUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A GYM FOR IT TO COUNT, I swear bunch of damn snobs in here anymore. Walking is walking in a store or on a treadmill, no difference. I used to log shopping and even walmart trips until I got my fitbit now it does that for me.

Actually, some of the comments made by others piss me off, although I'm not quite as pissed as the above seems. I do agree with some of his points, though.

Before people start ridiculing the OP for asking the frigin question, how about asking for more info? Like, how long did you walk non-stop? How fast did you walk? Was your heart rate increased? What is your level of exercise set at here?

I'd really like someone to explain to me the difference between walking at a pace of 2.5 on a treadmill for 30 minutes non-stop and walking at the mall at the same pace, for the same amount of time. I'm not asking anyone's opinion on whether 2.5 for 30 minutes is "doing any good", either. I'm asking the difference and why you would log one and not the other.

Although in some threads ridicule happens, it did not happen here. The response you quoted was unjustified, as was your post if you believe there were a bunch of ridiculing comments.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

Actually, some of the comments made by others piss me off, although I'm not quite as pissed as the above seems. I do agree with some of his points, though.

I'd really like someone to explain to me the difference between walking at a pace of 2.5 on a treadmill for 30 minutes non-stop and walking at the mall at the same pace, for the same amount of time. I'm not asking anyone's opinion on whether 2.5 for 30 minutes is "doing any good", either. I'm asking the difference and why you would log one and not the other.

No one was ridiculing anyone. Please quote the posts you think that were uncalled for. People gave their opinions and advice. If you don't agree, so be it. But direct your post to the OP and tell her what you think rather than unjustifiably telling us other posters that you don't like what WE posted.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

I think the main idea is, when you're shopping, you don't walk at that same pace in a continual way. You stop, look, try stuff on, sit, walk some more...

Stop and get an Auntie Anne's cinnamon sugar pretzel. Maybe a soda to go with that. Or you grab an Orange Julius. Lunch from the off brand Asian joint in the food court. Ooh is that a new fudge shop??
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    I wouldnt log it. Its not as if you are continuously walking you are stopping, trying stuff on etc.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member

Yea, um I don't work out at a gym for one, pre-MFP lost 30lbs+ working out at home, with my dvds

And no one was ridiculing the OP at all. All the posters were being very polite and giving their opinions.
    You and the poster your quoted are the ones making a big deal about it.

The op asked an opinion, then given the honest opinion of others in a respectful manner
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    I do the same, if I have a marathon shopping trip, I just chalk it up to bonus, uncounted calories burned. I don't need to eat more to fuel myself to browse and stroll.

I don't log shopping or a long day at the zoo, either (for the same reasons).

I didn't say anyone was ridiculing the OP. I said "before people START ridiculing the OP". I've seen these threads go bad because people start making fun of the people asking this question.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Although in some threads ridicule happens, it did not happen here. The response you quoted was unjustified, as was your post if you believe there were a bunch of ridiculing comments.

Agreed with this^ and Adini.

And to answer you - the difference is that on a treadmill, you don't usually end up stopping to admire something in the window or to look at things on display. Unless you are one of those speed mall walker people..you are probably walking at a slower pace than you realize...especially when continually having to stop to pick something out, wait for others to pass, etc.

But each their own. I don't judge if an MFP friend happens to log it and believe it or not, most of the people who commented on not logging it don't go judging either. BUT if you ask, they'll give you their opinions and most of these people know what they are talking about.
  • perfectingpatti
    Stop and get an Auntie Anne's cinnamon sugar pretzel. Maybe a soda to go with that. Or you grab an Orange Julius. Lunch from the off brand Asian joint in the food court. Ooh is that a new fudge shop??

That's not the way to shop, Brett! No wonder you don't leave with any new clothes, purses, or make-up! You're doing it wrong.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    I don't generally log that sort of thing. I will, however, log a day at the zoo or at a museum with the kids. maybe not much different, but I guess I don't normally shop for 6 hours at a whack. Maybe if I did, I'd log it...

Apparently my answer is "it depends". Super-helpful, right?
  • perfectingpatti
    Although in some threads ridicule happens, it did not happen here. The response you quoted was unjustified,
    I'm not defending that guy's comments!
    as was your post if you believe there were a bunch of ridiculing comments.
    No, just been here long enough to expect them. Just wanted that out there before people started landblasting her for asking the question. That's all.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Just let her log it lol, won't hurt yall's weight loss any.

I don't log any workouts except to put a "note" on the day's diary page; that way I have a record of what I did that day but it doesn't skew my calories because I don't eat them back and don't want to have to do math to figure out how many I have left.

As a college student on a walking campus I am on my feet all damn day every day and the idea of logging walking is crazy, but it could be out of the norm for some people I guess.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Whether to log certain activity or not depends entirely on whether your daily calories already account for it. If they don't, log it. If you're netting around 1000-1200, for heavens sake, log it twice!

The main difference between most peoples pre-weight-loss selves and current selves, is that they are mindful of maintaining a calorie deficit. If logging mall walking maintains a reasonable deficit, who cares? If not logging it because it's already in your daily activity, who cares? Either way, it's accounted for.

Now pass me those damn cookies.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

That's not the way to shop, Brett! No wonder you don't leave with any new clothes, purses, or make-up! You're doing it wrong.

If I don't get an Auntie Anne's pretzel or an Orange Julius there's no point in going!

*attempts to flip hair, fails, flounces off anyway*
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    i log shopping when we do it all day. if my husband and i are out at the mall and shops for 6 or 8 hours and walking around that whole time i think it is worth logging as it is not a normal daily activity but something we rent a car to do once every 3 months or so. i would usually log it as say 3 hours at 2 mph.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member

I agree. If it isn't something you do daily, or even something you don't do regularly, what is the big deal?

jgo044.gif

Because nobody shops regularly. I agree with the earlier poster that stated that more questions should be asked. What is the goal behind wanting to log your shopping as exercise?

We all move around daily, it is part of life. If you are going to the mall to walk purposely to get in your exericise, then yes I would agree that it could be logged. To log fairly normal movements because your fitbit or steptracker or fartmonitor told you to, is not telling you above and beyond your normal activity what you are doing to increase your calorie burn and create a deficit.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    So how would I log shopping as exercise... obviously it's walking but is it leisurely walking or what?
    umm..lol