Opinions please: Why do women get breast implants?

Options
I'm trying to settle an argument with my brother. He is of the opinion that women only get boob jobs to impress a man. I told him that while that's true sometimes, I think that the majority of women who get breast implants do it for themselves.

So can anybody help me out with this? I'll be forever grateful :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Themselves.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Because they want bigger boobies...
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    To look good naked
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Because they want to.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Women get implants because they pay too much attention to media and have a totally unrealistic idea of what a real body looks like. The only ones they see in movies, T.V., magazine ads, etc. are all artificial. In our society, we place a lot of emphasis on external appearance, with there being only a narrow range in what is considered beautiful.

I've often wondered if there was a relationship between motivation to succeed in education and career with accepting your body. As for me, what I've got in my head is way more important than what is on my chest.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    1. to please themselves
    2. to please someone else
    3. to conform to the "ideal" women
    4. to repair what may have been robbed by cancer/disease

It's always a personal decision that (i hope) one wouldn't take lightly. Not one of those reasons are better than the other, in my opinion. It's not really my place to judge!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Women get implants because they pay too much attention to media and have a totally unrealistic idea of what a real body looks like. The only ones they see in movies, T.V., magazine ads, etc. are all artificial. In our society, we place a lot of emphasis on external appearance, with there being only a narrow range in what is considered beautiful.

I've often wondered if there was a relationship between motivation to succeed in education and career with accepting your body. As for me, what I've got in my head is way more important than what is on my chest.

Not necessarily true. I want a breast reduction, not only for physical relief, but cosmetic as well. I want to fit all those cute tops I see. The inverse is true and acceptable as well.

Equating boob jobs with low self-esteem and not wanting to be smart isn't exactly being a pal to women. It's tearing them down and demoralizing them for their motivations.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My friend is getting it done so that clothing "fits"
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to one scenario, as my wife had both her breasts removed due to cancer. She thought about not getting implants; our kids are well beyond the breast feeding stage, and no more will be coming...ever; it was more surgery and she had already been through a lot; and I was going to support her either way. In the end, she decided to have the reconstruction/implants because A) the insurance paid for it and B) she didn't want to have people staring at her and giving her the, "oh, you poor woman" look.

I don't think you're going to get one definite answer though, as some women do it to feel better about themselves, so do it to repair/rebuild, some do it to please someone else, etc. Different people, different circumstances, different results.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I decided not to touch this with a ten foot pole...
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    For yourself, period. Women who get them to impress a man are definitely the exception to the rule.

I almost got a pair of my own once, had my non refundable deposit down, date set, got sick and had to have an emergency surgery (my first surgery) and when I felt the pain from that, I decided that I didn't ever wanna feel pain like that again in my life, and certainly not willingly. But when I went it was for ME, so I would be happier with my body.
  • jnichel
    Options
    I decided not to touch this with a ten foot pole...

I have a 12' pole you can borrow.
  • Crawkins
    Options
    I would get a boob job if, after I lose all the weight I want to, my boobs got really small!
    One benefit to being chubby is having large breasts, and I am noticing their gradual decrease already, and I don't like it!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    to make more money;)
  • jnichel
    Options
    to make more money;)

TAKE MY WALLET!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Your brother is a misogynist at heart.
  • eastonna
    eastonna Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely themselves. Also to actually fill out a bra or shirts. It's just as hard for someone with small breasts to find something that fits properly as it is for someone with large ones.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    to make more money;)

TAKE MY WALLET!!!
    i'm retired!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I tink you are right. I believe the majority of women do it to feel better about themselves. We men are so shallow, we don't care if the are natural or what !!!!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my stem cell breast augmentation for me. For him? Bonus, at least I hope it is. If he doesn't like it ... TOUGH!