hey Ya'll I'm Fixin' to get me a Coke

Options
hooah_mj
hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
Ok, I grew up (in West Texas) and have always said "ya'll" and spelled it that way, NO not Y apostrophe ALL....regardless of my husband's corrections!

The hubs grew up in upstate NY...now that's hilarious! (no offense, so don't go off on me)...he still says EARL, get it.

Anyway, I also say "fixin'" WITHOUT the g...

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I grew up in Nebraska, but now live in Virginia. I hear people say "makin groceries". It drives me nuts!! My husband is from upstate NY too (west side), and he says "blatting". that was a new one for me. As in "quit your blatting or I've give you something to blat about".
  • sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just moved back to MI from Texas. I loved Texas!!!!! Anyways i was raised in NC and we talked the same way you do! When i moved to MI I was about 10 years old. They MADE me go to speech class cause no one could understand my accent and the way i talked. it took 5 whole years for me to talk like they do here in MI. But i still talk the southern way half the time. Just without the deep southern accent.
  • «lindsay»
    Options
    I have always done it ::: y'all ::: b/c it was the compound of ::: you all :::, but that is just me, and I type it and talk it all the time. Another one my grandma always says is ::: tumpted ::: like the vase tumpted over and water got everywhere...:huh:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    oh my this is funny! We moved to Tennessee from Michigan and I have had this SAME convo with my kids (I am a high school teacher).

The biggest arguement that we have is the Coke one! I am trying to explain to them that COKE is a brand and that they should be saying Soda or Pop or Soda-pop. I say Pop and they think thats the funniest thing they have EVER heard.

Here in TN (not for all some still use "fixin") the new working for "fixin" is "finna"... it means the same thing and they say it like crazy. It drives me up a WALL. I make them correct it with "about to".

I think its a regional thing!
  • elf1590
    elf1590 Posts: 28
    Options
    i live in southwest virginia, and work with a bunch of guys from ohio. they say that i've got a 25 letter alphabet, meanin i leave off my "g"s. like you said, fixin, walkin, talkin, etc. they also think it's weird that i call it soup beans....they seem to think it's called bean soup. also the fact that i say tin and ten the same way. aunt is the same as ant. i'm sure there are plenty more but those are the main ones i can think of at the moment!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I spent some time in Kansas (originally from Buffalo) and I always say that "I am fixin to do somethin" My husband....being a smart *kitten*.........says "what are you repairing to do?" hysterical!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my PhD in linguistics, so I have a healthy appreciation for regional differences. I'm from Minnesota and we have a pretty hilarious accent (or so I've been told). Coke/soda is called "pop" here and we pronounce "milk" like "melk".

I really like when people say "might could" (like "We might could go to a movie tonight.") It isn't part of my dialect, but I think it sounds pretty great.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I was born in Yonkers, NY but lived first 12 years of my life in Monroe, NY which then was the country, 50 miles north of city. Then moved to GA. So been in south 30 years or so and have picked up on the Y'all for sure but get me around my N-yorker family and my Yankee accent comes out! Love the south but a Damm Yankee and proud of it! This is fun to see where everyone is from as lots of people don't stay where they were born.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I was born in Yonkers, NY but lived first 12 years of my life in Monroe, NY which then was the country, 50 miles north of city. Then moved to GA. So been in south 30 years or so and have picked up on the Y'all for sure but get me around my N-yorker family and my Yankee accent comes out! Love the south but a Damm Yankee and proud of it! This is fun to see where everyone is from as lots of people don't stay where they were born.

Oh, forgot to mention in NY we call it Soda or Soda Pop not Coke! And...."How Ya Doin?" lol
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, and you all pretty much confuse me....!!

Although I'm sure you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about either!!:laugh:
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    In Pittsburgh, we called chopped ham "chipped ham," say "pop," instead of "soda" or "soda pop," and we say "yinz guys" instead of "you" or "y'all." Pittsburghers are also famous for saying "sammiches" instead of "sandwiches." We also pronounce our own town name as "Picksburgh."
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Eh? We call it POP up here in Canada :) Coke is a brand name for Petes Sake ;)
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    Oh gosh, I've got a ton of these.. I've lived in Iowa most of my life, but my fiance's family is all from Kansas and Tenessee. His mother has spent years in both states, and my fiance has picked up her very mixed accent. He tends to pronounce his E's like I's.. like one time he said the word "sentence" like "sintince" and I giggled. A lot. He also has a lot of gramatical errors in his speech. He uses "is" when he should use "are" like: "Is you gonna eat that?" Also, instead of putting your veggies in the fridge, he puts them in "the icebox".. that one still makes me laugh, because I always picture little old grannies sayin' that, not my 22 year old fiance.

My mom's ex boyfriend, now he had a ton of linguistic quirks. He's lived in Iowa, Arizona and Texas, I believe.. Pants were called "Britches", the floor was called "the deck", and he didn't wash the car, he "worshed" it.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!

I'm from the Buffalo, N.Y. area, and I've been stuck in G.A. for a little over 5 years & will be here until I finish my degree! It's been a great experience for me, as I met my Husband and we've had two children, but I miss home. My Husband is from Atlanta, and we couldn't be more different, regionally! He says "finin' to", as in going to do something, and I say "pop". Our accents are completely different! People look at me like I'm an alien when I speak in public. lol
  • Capucine7
    Capucine7 Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm from Quebec in Canada and we actually call pop a "soft drink".
  • tlilly80
    tlilly80 Posts: 27
    Options
    In Wisconsin we drink from a BUBBLER not a water fountain. A water fountain is something you throw your pennies in!
  • esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ok, I grew up (in West Texas) and have always said "ya'll" and spelled it that way, NO not Y apostrophe ALL....regardless of my husband's corrections!

The hubs grew up in upstate NY...now that's hilarious! (no offense, so don't go off on me)...he still says EARL, get it.

Anyway, I also say "fixin'" WITHOUT the g...

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself

good lord big red! ohhh how i miss it! :( haha i miss having big red and some blue bell vanilla ice cream haha but now you can get blue bell anywhere, but not big red (breaks my heart a little) lol
  • hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    the accent sounds cute even just reading it! hahaha
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I am from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

We call it soda.

We call a water fountain a bubbler.

We say "ya know" after a sentence a lot. Ex: It sure is windy outside today, ya know?

We tend to hold out our long O's, so it is more like, ya knooow?
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I'm from NY and have been living in Florida for years.

Mash as in "mash the numbers on the phone"
    do, fo, mo - door, for, more
    "didn't pretty much do nothin"

LOL. I love it!