hey Ya'll I'm Fixin' to get me a Coke

Replies

• Lisa03
    Lisa03 Posts: 18
    I'm from Chicago & married a man from Minnesota lol We are so different in how we talk he calls that body of running water a Crick I say creek (like a creek in the floor) We say couch he says sofa or davenport, we call them gym shoes or sneakers he say tennis shoes. We always have debates on how things are said. His Minnesota friends say that I have a Chicago accent!

Lisa
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I'm originally from Jersey and I live inTexas...you can't imagine how I get teased about my accent! :laugh:

One of my good friends is from Nebraska and she has a funny accent...we'll tease her because she'll say something like "Bring it" and it sounds like "Breen it". She doesn't "hang out", she "hanes out". And a hanger isn't a hanger, it's a "haner". :laugh:

I've found that in Texas, most people either have no accent at all (even the Texas natives) or their accent is so strong I can hardly understand them!

I think the "melk" accent is funny. Also, my boss says mill instead of meal, dill instead of deal, and pell ell instead of pale ale. I've never heard that accent before moving to Texas!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    I'm from the UK, and you all pretty much confuse me....!!

Although I'm sure you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about either!!:laugh:

@ Snooker88

UK, now there's a place to go if ya wanna get the LOOK! When we where stationed near Harrogate it just about made me bonkers to ask for the potty! Here's just a smidget of what we got out there:

"No. We don't have a bath room, you will have to go down to the Bath House for that. The Loo is in the back."

"I can get you a serviette, we don't provide napkins." (took me a month to figure that one out!)

I still say "pram" and I love "tea" esp. "high tea" only I could never get any ice out there! Hilarious, one of the best places I've ever lived!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I really like when people say "might could" (like "We might could go to a movie tonight.") It isn't part of my dialect, but I think it sounds pretty great.

I'm from South Carolina but I don't really sound like it. I still live in SC and people ask me where I'm from (yep, ended that phrase with a preposition) all the time.

So, while I tried hard in middle & high school to train away my southern accent, the things my high school friends from MI and NY mad fun of me for were the "might could" and "listen at" (instead of "listen to"). They said I talked all normally and then I'd catch them off guard when I threw in some southern crap like that. So, of course I trained myself out of saying those things, too. :laugh:

So, yeah, I've lived in SC all my life and I had never heard of the southerners calling soda "coke" thing until just a few years ago. And I've still never actually heard anyone do it. Or, maybe I have and I just assumed they were actually talking about Coke. :tongue:

My 86 year old gramma says "kindly" instead of "kind of" or "sort of." For example, instead of saying "I kind of twisted my ankle" she would say "I kindly twisted my ankle."

Edit: I was just reading through others' responses, and, yep, people down here certainly say things like "mash" (instead of press) and "britches" (for pants).
    Also, something we say here that I think varies a lot regionally is "cut off the light." I think I normally say "turn off," but, as explained above, I'm a linguistic anomaly in this region. Of course there is a lot of "fixin' to" and "ain't" and "y'all" here. "Tin" and "ten" are pronounced the same. I was a server at a very southern restaurant when I was in high school & we gave customers numbers as they ordered & then called their numbers to bring them their food (ugh). Once I was standing there yelling "TEN! NUMBER TEN!" over and over again and no one would come. Finally someone was like "What?" and I repeated "TEN" And the were like "TIIIIIIN?" and I said "Yeah, tEn." They hadn't understood what number I was saying because I was pronouncing it correctly! :noway:

And more:
    And one thing my bf makes fun of me about is I apparently say "Mu*zimm" instead of "Mus*e*um." The other day, I noticed someone else saying it that way, too.

I also hear a lot of "a-- verbing" like "He was a-hootin' and a-hollerin.'"

And instead of "almost" or "nearly" a lot of people said "like to." Like... "I like to died."

And then there's this whole other language of southern ebonics. :noway: Last weekend, one of my neighbors repeatedly yelled "You is so ungrateful." And that's just one of the phrases I actually understood - about 75% of the time I have no idea what is being said. I hear people say all kinds of crazy stuff here. I can't help but wonder how in the world the sentences they say even formed in their heads. :laugh: They make talking & listening so much more difficult than it needs to be. :tongue: I have never understood a word one of my uncles has ever said except "Hey Julie!" because his accent is so weird and thick & he talks so fast. I'm not even joking. :laugh:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    i live in southwest virginia, and work with a bunch of guys from ohio. they say that i've got a 25 letter alphabet, meanin i leave off my "g"s. like you said, fixin, walkin, talkin, etc. they also think it's weird that i call it soup beans....they seem to think it's called bean soup. also the fact that i say tin and ten the same way. aunt is the same as ant. i'm sure there are plenty more but those are the main ones i can think of at the moment!

Hey! I'm from SWVA, too. :flowerforyou: Where are you located? I'm near VT.

I say Ya'll! Not the appropriate way of typing it, but definitely the way I say it! It's NOT y'all! :laugh: My boyfriend is from here, too, but grew up in a different county (seems like a different country sometimes!). Instead of saying "That reminds me of ... " he'll say, "That puts me in mind of ..." Ugh. For some reason, I can't stand that! lol, his mom does it, too.

And, it's POP. Not Soda. Not Soda-Pop. :wink:
  • hooah_mj
    Ok, I grew up (in West Texas) and have always said "ya'll" and spelled it that way, NO not Y apostrophe ALL....regardless of my husband's corrections!

The hubs grew up in upstate NY...now that's hilarious! (no offense, so don't go off on me)...he still says EARL, get it.

Anyway, I also say "fixin'" WITHOUT the g...

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself

good lord big red! ohhh how i miss it! :( haha i miss having big red and some blue bell vanilla ice cream haha but now you can get blue bell anywhere, but not big red (breaks my heart a little) lol

@esco2186
    You better betcha...the Base Commissary in the UK (yes, England) had a promotional thing ONCE. & my hubs backed up the PickUp and loaded ALL 52 cases of Big Red (minus 1...couldn't be that stingy) It didn't last me a season!
  • hooah_mj
    I'm from South Carolina but I don't really sound like it. I still live in SC and people ask me where I'm from (yep, ended that phrase with a preposition) all the time.
    Edit: I was just reading through others' responses, and, yep, people down here certainly say things like "mash" (instead of press) and "britches" (for pants).
    Also, something we say here that I think varies a lot regionally is "cut off the light." I think I normally say "turn off," but, as explained above, I'm a linguistic anomaly in this region. Of course there is a lot of "fixin' to" and "ain't" and "y'all" here. "Tin" and "ten" are pronounced the same. I was a server at a very southern restaurant when I was in high school & we gave customers numbers as they ordered & then called their numbers to bring them their food (ugh). Once I was standing there yelling "TEN! NUMBER TEN!" over and over again and no one would come. Finally someone was like "What?" and I repeated "TEN" And the were like "TIIIIIIN?" and I said "Yeah, tEn." They hadn't understood what number I was saying because I was pronouncing it correctly! :noway:

And more:
    And one thing my bf makes fun of me about is I apparently say "Mu*zimm" instead of "Mus*e*um." The other day, I noticed someone else saying it that way, too.

I also hear a lot of "a-- verbing" like "He was a-hootin' and a-hollerin.'"

And instead of "almost" or "nearly" a lot of people said "like to." Like... "I like to died."

And then there's this whole other language of southern ebonics. :noway: Last weekend, one of my neighbors repeatedly yelled "You is so ungrateful." And that's just one of the phrases I actually understood - about 75% of the time I have no idea what is being said. I hear people say all kinds of crazy stuff here. I can't help but wonder how in the world the sentences they say even formed in their heads. :laugh: They make talking & listening so much more difficult than it needs to be. :tongue: I have never understood a word one of my uncles has ever said except "Hey Julie!" because his accent is so weird and thick & he talks so fast. I'm not even joking. :laugh:

SUCH ARE THE THINGS THAT FLAVOR LIFE ! :love: Love-love :smooched: it...............&

it's now TIN 'TIL TIN, so I'd best be headin' out to the gym before I go searchin' thru the "ice box" again...

can't hardly wait to get back and fill up on ya'lls (don't even try and lecture me on this one...ha) posts!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I'm originally from Missouri. That's Missouree not Missoura.

I drink pop and eat breakfast, dinner and supper.

I now livei n "Warsh"ington State.

Didn't know until a few years ago (and I'm in my 50's) that I was mispronouncing Wisconsin. I pronounced it "Wes"consin. Apparently, "Wis" is supposed to sound like "wish" but without the h.

And "pin" is actually pronounced diffenently than "pen" according to my son.

I sit on a couch.

A number of years ago, I found out that I supposedly pronouce July wrong. As in the month of July. I pronounce in with a long u as in juju beans. My neice claims it's pronounced like Juh-lie.

I don't know, but I think Missourians need to teach everyone else how to speak proper English. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding. :bigsmile:
  • LittleSpy
    A number of years ago, I found out that I supposedly pronouce July wrong. As in the month of July. I pronounce in with a long u as in juju beans. My neice claims it's pronounced like Juh-lie.

I had to look this one up because I say "Joo-lie" too. :laugh: Thought I was going to have tweak my speak again but nope -- both are correct. :wink:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/july

Just like greasy. Gree-zee or Gree-see.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/greasy

Also my name. Julie. Joo-lee or Juh-lee. But, please, never "jjjjeeeeeewwwwwwww-llleeeeeee." :sick: (which is totally how my mom says it :laugh:)
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    we call it pop in Canada, and we also have Ice tea, which I think is called sweet tea in some states? Ice tea is like the nestea or similar products, its cold and sweet. Sometimes I ask for Icetea in the States and I get cold TEA.. no sugar :huh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    we call it pop in Canada, and we also have Ice tea, which I think is called sweet tea in some states? Ice tea is like the nestea or similar products, its cold and sweet. Sometimes I ask for Icetea in the States and I get cold TEA.. no sugar :huh:

:laugh: Well iced tea is just that, iced tea...cold tea.

Since moving to Texas, I've learned that sweet tea is in it's own category. You ask any Southerner how to make sweet tea and they'll give you every little detail down to how long it shoul sit in the sun for and how many tea bags to use. :laugh:
  • LittleSpy

My experience has been that if you ask for Iced tea in the south, you'll automoatically get sweet tea. If you ask for iced tea in the north, you'll get unsweetened tea unless you specify "Sweet iced tea" (but even then, in some places they'll just hand you a packet of sugar with your tea :laugh:).
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    I live in Michigan and have noticed that a lot of people say: Mondee, Tuesdee, Wednesdee, Thursdee, Fridee for the DAYS of the week. Weird :huh:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    so is it kitty-corner or catty-corner?
    :wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    so is it kitty-corner or catty-corner?
    :wink:

Kitty-corner
  • Joeysgirl
    Joeysgirl Posts: 99
    HAHAHA, this stuff is a riot! I live in Montana... spent some time in Massachusetts where there are no "r"s to speak of. We had many a linguistic battle in college! I feel like I don't have an accent.. but there are a few things that we say differently. I know I couldn't understand a Southerner talk.. especially after reading your posts - "finin to" ???????

I say "bag" and "beg" the same.

I didn't know what a grinder or a packie, aka package store, were for a loooong time (grinder is a hero sandwich and a packy is a liquor store).

We eat suckers - not lollipops.. and drink pop, not sodas!

Park your car has all its "r's" in tact - in Mass it's "pa'k ya caaaa'" and the triple "wicked" always made me giggle - like " That was wicked, wicked, WICKED scary!"

It was also the first time I heard catty-corner.. we say kitty-corner up here :)

iced tea is unsweetened....
  • Joeysgirl
    Joeysgirl Posts: 99
    Oh I forgot to say how hard it was for me to pronouse Worcester right... I used to say Wor-chest-er... not wuuuster like they do in Mass.. There were a lot of town names like that - Northhampton, Amherst, etc.. that I just didn't slur enough for them... I guess Montanan's over pronunciate... but same goes for Montana town names..

Helena - is NOT Hell-eeen-ah it is Hell-ih-na

Butte - is NOT Butt.. it is Beaut as in beautiful

its all about putting the right emphasis on the the right syllable... Funny stuff!
  • hooah_mj
    I live in Michigan and have noticed that a lot of people say: Mondee, Tuesdee, Wednesdee, Thursdee, Fridee for the DAYS of the week. Weird :huh:

Oh I'm laughing hysterically! I had to say the days of the week to myself & see if that is indeed true.......TRUE as all-get-out!

I didn't even know I said it like that......need a tissue to wipe my eyes!!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Living in NC but grew up in NY. (and forgive me if they've been mentioned, I didn't read all the responses, sorry!) I have speech therapy (as we call it in our house lol) a lot with DH. :laugh:

DH says something is "IN the floor" and I say something is "ON the floor"
    DH says "plug it UP" I say "Plug it IN"

He puts emphasis on certain parts of words that I don't....
    like PERmit...I just say permit w/o emphasis on either half. Same goes for...
    Tv, UMbrella, ADvance, JUly (Momma I think you mentioned that one!) INsurance.

I could go on & on .... Ten pronounced as Tin, Pen & Pin.

:noway: I'll stop now. :laugh:
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    I'm from Alabama and talk just like you do! probably worse ;)
This discussion has been closed.