hey Ya'll I'm Fixin' to get me a Coke

Options

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I ask the hubs to shut out the lights but he says he can't...
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,176 Member
    Options
    Up north (Mass.) a shopping cart is...a shopping cart, in the south (Georgia) it is called a buggy!!! When my husband says he is going to get a buggy my first thought is baby talk for bug or horse and buggy. But I have also heard carts refered to as carriages. Go figure.

I pronounce orange as "awe-range" he says "or-ange"
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I am from Louisiana. People down here say "Dis, Dat, Dees, and Does" instead of "This, That, These, and Those" :laugh:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    when I moved from Florida to Wisconsin as a young teen I was teased mercilessly because I would say "Hey" to someone and they would say "What?" in floriday hey was the same as hi.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I live in WISconsin (not WESconsin like people from the outside normally pronounce it) but I travel to 6 other states for work. I feel like we've been left behind in time because I'm noticing a really weird (IMO) pattern of missing words in every other state! When did "to be" go out of fashion?

I say, "The floor needs to be swept." or "The phone needs to be answered.
    Everyone else says, "The floor needs swept." or "The phone needs answered."

Drives me nuts.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: It's so funny reading all the comments. I also say or-ange instead of awe-range. And I say "e-ther" for either instead of "i-ther".
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada, and my parents are from Jamaica.
    I grew up hearing alot of broken english from my dad :smile:

I always said Sangwich. If you say it fast enough perhaps silent the g, it sounds the same as sandwich.
    People have caught me many times.

I got this new job, and there was a guy from the islands working with me... The first time he said "sangwich" I was laughing like crazy, because I thought I was the only one. Then I had to explain it to him, that I also said it, and that I wasn't making fun of him saying it.

I used to love my pop.

When someone has a runny nose, we use Kleenex? Pass me a kleenex? Nobody says pass me a facial tissue.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I always used to say Kleenex too. I don't think I even realized Kleenex was a brand name until I was a grownup. :laugh: And I say toilet paper instead of toilet tissue and bathroom instead of restroom.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    The Southern ones are all dead-on and hilarious!! :laugh:

I'm from Kentucky, so we have pretty thick accents here. I recently traveled up to Maryland and was at a bar. I said, gimme an L.I.T. (long island iced tea, any bartender knows the abbreviation). And he said, "huh?" I repeated and he still didn't get it. I was saying L-IIIIIIIIII-T and I had to stop and enunciate for him to get it!

One thing that gets me is how people here say "groin." It's like "grow-in." I feel like it's pronounced like it rhymes with coin...

Dinner and supper can sometimes be ambiguous. I say breakfast, lunch, dinner. Sometimes supper is lunch or dinner. I have no idea!! I just base it on what time they tell me to be there :laugh:

Some more...I'm gonna go get me a Coke "right quick." And "I don't take kindly to that."

Don't even get me started on the vowels...they're pretty much the opposite of what you would think they would be in any situation. bahahaha

Almost forgot these gems....taters (potatoes), maters (tomatoes), okrie (okra), baccer (tobacco), cerl (cereal), flars (flowers)...weird that all of these involve food/plants...
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago & married a man from Minnesota lol We are so different in how we talk he calls that body of running water a Crick I say creek (like a creek in the floor) We say couch he says sofa or davenport, we call them gym shoes or sneakers he say tennis shoes. We always have debates on how things are said. His Minnesota friends say that I have a Chicago accent!

Lisa

He must be from the country in MN, does he also say warsh instead of wash?. I am from there and I say creek, couch, tennis shoes and I used to say pop but when I moved I made myself change to say soda. I also do not talk like they do on Fargo. That drives me nuts. I have never in my life said Ya' betcha but when I get to talking really fast my o's get reallllly long. I live in the Carolinas now and one day I was talking to a co-worker and he just out of the blue goes "Your from Minnesota aren't you?" I also get made fun of for the way I say button like But on. Also everyone in MN is always going "up" some where even if they are going south. (up to the cabin, up to the cities aka Twin Cities) and if you are going to the Mall you are going to the Mall of America and the river is the Mississippi. Any time I am heading back to my parents everyone asks me if I am going to go ice fishing for some reason. It could be middle of summer and some one will ask me.
    I currenlty work in Charlotte most the people there came from other areas of the country. I sit by a women from Long Island and one from Boston. Their voices are like nails on a chalk board to me but that is mainly because all they do is b!tch.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Up north (Mass.) a shopping cart is...a shopping cart, in the south (Georgia) it is called a buggy!!! When my husband says he is going to get a buggy my first thought is baby talk for bug or horse and buggy. But I have also heard carts refered to as carriages. Go figure.

I pronounce orange as "awe-range" he says "or-ange"

I say it like 'ah-range'...and It's "Flah-rida" and I had to get myself out of the habit of calling it "Ah-regon" instead of "Oregon"! :laugh:
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, and you all pretty much confuse me....!!

Although I'm sure you wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about either!!:laugh:

@ Snooker88

UK, now there's a place to go if ya wanna get the LOOK! When we where stationed near Harrogate it just about made me bonkers to ask for the potty! Here's just a smidget of what we got out there:

"No. We don't have a bath room, you will have to go down to the Bath House for that. The Loo is in the back."

"I can get you a serviette, we don't provide napkins." (took me a month to figure that one out!)

I still say "pram" and I love "tea" esp. "high tea" only I could never get any ice out there! Hilarious, one of the best places I've ever lived!

Haha! whats a 'pram' in American then?! Hilarious that we all speak English yet nobody has a clue what anyone else is saying.

Where I live (Manchester) we say 'tea' means the evening meal as well as the drink!

:huh:
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    Ok, I grew up (in West Texas) and have always said "ya'll" and spelled it that way, NO not Y apostrophe ALL....regardless of my husband's corrections!

The hubs grew up in upstate NY...now that's hilarious! (no offense, so don't go off on me)...he still says EARL, get it.

Anyway, I also say "fixin'" WITHOUT the g...

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself

I LOVE Big Red! We can get it here in TN and I know it can be bought in FL b/c my husband's stepmom drinks it like water. LOVE IT!
  • EmilysMommy
    EmilysMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here in NC we add "er" to everthing, and I do mean everything! Winder(window), piller(pillow), tater(potato), mater(tomato). And even names, Eller(ella), Emmer(emma). I say ya'll! Well not all of us talk like that but my family does! I also have an uncle buster, a little buster(cousin) and an uncle bill. and everybody has nicknames dome of them are really bad! Like boobie(one of momma's aunts) then there are some normal ones like bo, rosey, coot, doodle, sadie, earl! I'm gonna stop now!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot these gems....taters (potatoes), maters (tomatoes), okrie (okra), baccer (tobacco), cerl (cereal), flars (flowers)...weird that all of these involve food/plants...

It's so funny that when you start naming all those things, I realized I didn't even think to write them here because although I don't say them, I hear them so often they're normal to me. You mean not everyone says taters and maters? :laugh:

And you know, *BEFORE* Larry the Cable Guy was around, people really did say "get 'er done." I mean, they still do, but I don't know whether they're making a little joke or if they would have said that anyway.

And one thing my Blues professor in college said he loved so much about southern speak (he was from Switzerland -- yes, an awesome blues harmonica player from switzerland. youtube Walt Liniger if you're interested) is the phrase "Bless your heart." He said southerners pull off the timing of that phrase so that it comes across so appropriate and so sweet and so perfect but when anyone else tries to use it, they just sound like a condescending douche. :laugh: "Bless his/her/your/their heart"

Oh, and in the south the word "ill" doesn't mean sick, it means angry or irritable. So, if you say "I'm feeling a little ill," people aren't going to ask you what's wrong or if there's anything they can do for you, they're just going to walk on eggshells around you until it seems like you're in a better mood. :laugh:

Also, there are all kinds of stupid phrases people say in the south that will make you think "WTF?!" every time you hear them. Like "I'm happier than a tick on a fat dog" and "Don't just sit there like a bump on a log." I've also heard "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit." WHAT?! Haha "Gooder'n grits."

An example of how a southerner would call a woman unattractive is "Bless her heart, she fell out of the ugly tree & hit every branch on the way down."

It's so much fun to think about this stuff. I never really thought about all the silly things that are said down here. I'm going to enjoy listening to people talk more now. :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I thought of more! (Apparently *this* is what I'm doing at work today... shhh)

Barbecue is a noun. And it doesn't mean "cookout." :laugh: It's food. It could be beef or pork and the marinade/sauce could be vinegarish, tomatoish, or mustardish depending on where you are in the south. The city I live in is well known for mustard based barbecue.
    To "carry on" is to make a big fuss about something. Often combined with the "a'verbing" I mentioned previously - "She was a'hootin' and a'hollerin' and a'carryin' on."
    "A lick of sense" - some common sense
    "Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" - trying to go in every direction at once, doing too many things at the same time in a big hurry.
    "Acting ugly" means being mean or rude or disrespectful
    "What in the Sam Hill?" means "What the He**/F***?"
    "Three sheets to the wind" = "Drunk as a skunk"
    Do you say "heebie jeebies" anywhere else? :laugh: "Spiders give me the heebie jeebies."
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I think you forgot "Bless his/her heart" = "What the f where they thinking those dumb a$$es)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I thought of more! (Apparently *this* is what I'm doing at work today... shhh)

Barbecue is a noun. And it doesn't mean "cookout." :laugh: It's food. It could be beef or pork and the marinade/sauce could be vinegarish, tomatoish, or mustardish depending on where you are in the south. The city I live in is well known for mustard based barbecue.
    To "carry on" is to make a big fuss about something. Often combined with the "a'verbing" I mentioned previously - "She was a'hootin' and a'hollerin' and a'carryin' on."
    "A lick of sense" - some common sense
    "Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off" - trying to go in every direction at once, doing too many things at the same time in a big hurry.
    "Acting ugly" means being mean or rude or disrespectful
    "What in the Sam Hill?" means "What the He**/F***?"
    "Three sheets to the wind" = "Drunk as a skunk"
    Do you say "heebie jeebies" anywhere else? :laugh: "Spiders give me the heebie jeebies."

Okay this thread has me crackin' up. Yep, I'm a southern girl born and bred (Georgia to be precise).
    These phrases I hear on a day to day basis and I say many of them myself.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Okay this thread has me crackin' up. Yep, I'm a southern girl born and bred (Georgia to be precise).
    These phrases I hear on a day to day basis and I say many of them myself.

Seriously! I so often think I don't have much of a southern accent. But then when I saw this thread & I started thinking, I realized so much of what I say & how I say things is 100% true southern. :laugh: Now I don't understand why in Sam Hill (:wink:) anyone around here would ever ask me where I'm from. :huh: I think it has to be pretty obvious (South Carolina!). :laugh: I'm just not quite as SC as most people born & raised here I guess.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself

good lord big red! ohhh how i miss it! :( haha i miss having big red and some blue bell vanilla ice cream haha but now you can get blue bell anywhere, but not big red (breaks my heart a little) lol

Big Red = love
    Red cream soda if I'm not mistaken. More like red crack. I don't care for pop much but this stuff is so good. Lucky we have it in the Chicagoland area. Too bad they don't have a diet version that Ive ever seen.