Sounds gross... But diahhrea after diet change??

Options
13»

Replies

• Arianwyn_T
    Options
    purely anecdotal, but every time I clean up my eating and start exercising again after a period of eating junk, overeating, and being sedentary I go through intestinal troubles. The combination of reasonable portions of healthy food and physical activity clears the pipes, so to speak, and after a week or two it settles. It was recommended that I drink whey protein isolates to help combat it, and for me that seems to help.

Stay hydrated, and if it worsens or continues too long (or if you find it's interfering with your life) consult a doctor.
  • jennifermartini
    jennifermartini Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yup happened to me too. I had a Lap Band put in about 10 years ago (failed miserably) but on the much
    reduced foods that are eaten for 30 days after I had torrential diareah. Doctor just said it was the body ridding itself of stored toxins and such. It stopped after a few days.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know i should throw fruits into the mix! Which i will when my stomach settles but dont fruits make u go to the bathroom more?

As a pharmacist I can speak in generalities about fiber the diarrhea. We often think of fibre in the bulking up of stool. The Fibre is in the gut, and stays there for the most part, this then atttracts water in the lower intestines and increases the volume of stool, this then pushes on lining of the intestine and encourages movement through the bowel. (As an side for some people this is a bad choice to get them moving if there is a physical block there like impacted stool as fiber will just increas stool volume and further increase pain)

The less talked about reason to encourage fiber is that it is able to "catch" extra water in the bowel. Sometimes if people are having loose watery stool we encourage them to increase fiber, this fibre in the gut then is able to catch more of the water, increase volume and slow down the flow of water through the body.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Yup happened to me too. I had a Lap Band put in about 10 years ago (failed miserably) but on the much
    reduced foods that are eaten for 30 days after I had torrential diareah. Doctor just said it was the body ridding itself of stored toxins and such. It stopped after a few days.

you should march into the office of the dr that told you it was "stored toxins" and slap them right in the eyeball.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    eat!...your body is changing so it's normal for the (pooping part) but you ain't eating enough (BY FAR)...at least 1200 calories.
    Try adding more protein, less carbs and fat.

You'll be fine... just be careful.... Too little ain't good, you need fuel to go forward :wink:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Kind of hard to assess with limited information.

Possible causes....

1. Eating too little is not likely to cause diarrhea IMHO... Drinking too little is, though. Dehydration has diarrhea as a side effect
    2. An increase in dietary fiber may well cause loose bowel movements so if you have increased the bran and such, yeah...
    3. Too many fruits and vegetables could cause it
    4. Could be something totally unrelated, like stress, stomach flu, etc.

My recommendation would be to increase your intake a bit, especially with exercise. Drink plenty of fluids and regulate fiber, and green veggies/fruit. If it persists, see your medical practitioner.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

As a pharmacist I can speak in generalities about fiber the diarrhea. We often think of fibre in the bulking up of stool. The Fibre is in the gut, and stays there for the most part, this then atttracts water in the lower intestines and increases the volume of stool, this then pushes on lining of the intestine and encourages movement through the bowel. (As an side for some people this is a bad choice to get them moving if there is a physical block there like impacted stool as fiber will just increas stool volume and further increase pain)

The less talked about reason to encourage fiber is that it is able to "catch" extra water in the bowel. Sometimes if people are having loose watery stool we encourage them to increase fiber, this fibre in the gut then is able to catch more of the water, increase volume and slow down the flow of water through the body.

OK, if this is the case then my fiber recommendation may be off a bit. We all learn something new every day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you drastically change your diet, even if it's for the better, it can mess with your system. Dave Tate, when he first started to change his diet over from virtually 100% junk food to "clean eating" type food would start puking by the afternoon.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know no one here can truly medically answer this

Correct. IMO you need to see a doctor, community nurse or pharmacist.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys! This means alot! Im learning good things here!
    I am gunna put fiber in my diet for sure! And eat healthier
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Saw your diary. Not good. You are eating way too little and the little bit you are eating isn't very nutritious. I'd not be surprised if you're making yourself sick. Your body can't be happy with the way you're treating it. Stop the extreme dieting and start a healthy lifestyle. Your loss will be slower, but it will be healthy and sustainable in the long term. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

YUP!!
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So i decided i am gunna keep my diary open this whole week and change my eating habbits.... Starting with fibre!
    If u guys want to follow my diary and give me tips here and there i will b fine with that