"No Carbs After Lunch!"

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents... for me.. when I have "bad carbs" (white bread, white rice, white pasta etc) with supper I am almost always up a pound or two in the morning. Think of it this way, carbs are "sugar energy" meant to help you run around and do stuff.. what are you doing after dinner? Sitting on the couch? Do you really need that sugar burst to get you going at that point? Nope... and if you don't use it up where does it go? ... you guessed it... fat stores for the next time you need a boost. I don't worry about carbs in pure vegetables though and that doesn't seem to matter and in the first half of the day whole grain bread, pasta and brown rice are fine.. even good!)

Since I've switched up my suppers to be clean lean protein and vegetables, I'm losing an extra 1/2 lb a day!!! No joke.. and I'm 45 yrs old! I put the majority of my carbs in the morning or at lunch but I stick with whole grains and unprocessed.

you put on two pounds from dinner?

so that means you had a 7000 calorie dinner???? Wowsers....

Also, you can eat carbs whenever you want. The carb at night thing has been dispelled as a myth...

Actually I don't believe that they are "actual" pounds, I don't think my body properly processes carbs at that time of the day and I just feel better if I avoid them then. Dispelled as a myth or not, it matters to my body and that's what I'm listening to.

Right, but for your weight to have actually gone up there has to be a reason...I mean if you eat a sweet potato and some brown rice there is no way that will add two pounds to your scale..that is physically impossible. Shrugs shoulders, maybe it is water retention or something...
  • squimkin
    squimkin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's not that it's "stupid" or "retarded".

In an average American diet, 25% of your caloric intake - that's 580 calories - comes from snacking. What are snacks mostly made out of? Think potato chips, popcorn, chocolate - that's right, carbohydrate (and sugar, which is a "simple" or short-chain carbohydrate). http://www.livescience.com/14769-snacking-calories-increase.html

So when you cut out carbohydrates after a certain time in the evening, you are essentially cutting out snacking and replacing it with protein alternatives - which tend to be healthier, contain less fats, and take more time to prepare ("postponing" your emotional hunger).

Secondly - if your body doesn't receive new "sources" of carbohydrate which it can use, it'll use the stored carbohydrate in your muscles and liver (called glucagon). Once this is used up (in hard exercise it will be used within 20 minutes. In normal daily activity, perhaps 90 minutes to 2 hours, although I'm seriously guesstimating here), your body sources its energy from fat (until you eat protein/fats again. At which point your body will use that.)

I know this isn't the full reason, but it's a large part of it. The reason why weight is lost is because you are overall eating less calories. What I've referenced here is really basic high school biology and chemistry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I currently only eat carbs after 8pm because that is when I finish training.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I hear this sooo so often and it makes me wanna slap people that say it.